Thread: New to M&M 3rd: Am I doing damage correctly?

UN Basic Recipient

New to M&M 3rd: Am I doing damage correctly?

I'm currently GMing a game, and this is the first time any of us have really played. I just wanted to make sure me and the rest of my group are understanding damage correctly:

Let's say Hero punches Villain, and Villain then makes a damage resistance roll resulting in one degree of failure. I understand that future damage resistance rolls will be at -1 for the rest of the fight.

Now let's say next turn, Hero punches Villain again, and Villain fails that damage resistance roll by three degrees of failure. So now the Villain is staggered, and will make all future damage resistance rolls at -2 (-1 for the previous failure, and another -1 for the failure they just rolled), correct?

I ask because the way one of my other players at the table is interpreting things, she believes each degree of failure is cumulative with the previous degrees of failure (so one degree is -1 to damage resistance, two degrees is -2, and three is -3, all added on top of whatever was already there from previous rounds).

I apologize if this has already been answered lots of times already.

Re: New to M&M 3rd: Am I doing damage correctly?

You are right. Your player is wrong.

I suspect that they're reading the line, "The circumstance penalties to Toughness checks are cumulative, so a target who fails three resistance checks against Damage, each with one degree of failure, has a total 3 penalty" as being about three degrees of failure.

Protomolecule Host

Thumbs up Re: New to M&M 3rd: Am I doing damage correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Signal View Post
    I'm currently GMing a game, and this is the first time any of us have really played. I just wanted to make sure me and the rest of my group are understanding damage correctly:

Let's say Hero punches Villain, and Villain then makes a damage resistance roll resulting in one degree of failure. I understand that future damage resistance rolls will be at -1 for the rest of the fight.
    Indeed, and in fact, it lasts until the Hero Recovers (through rest or the Recover action), Regenerates, or is Healled.
    Now let's say next turn, Hero punches Villain again, and Villain fails that damage resistance roll by three degrees of failure. So now the Villain is staggered, and will make all future damage resistance rolls at -2 (-1 for the previous failure, and another -1 for the failure they just rolled), correct?
    Correct.

I ask because the way one of my other players at the table is interpreting things, she believes each degree of failure is cumulative with the previous degrees of failure (so one degree is -1 to damage resistance, two degrees is -2, and three is -3, all added on top of whatever was already there from previous rounds).
    No, the degrees of failure do not accumulate, the resulting damage conditions do.

Your player may be thinking of how Cumulative extra works with Afflictions. That is, however, a different thing.

I apologize if this has already been answered lots of times already.
    It is okay.