Thread: How to make a spaceship character?

UN Basic Recipient

How to make a spaceship character?

My friend in America has a plan in the works for a space-based campaign, and I want to join in over Skype. He had the great idea that I could play as their ships A.I since that makes it easy for him to take the character over if our timetables clash, but then I had the idea of “what if my character is the entire ship?”

So, the plan now is essentially putting Transformers’ Fortress Maximus onto a character sheet. Now, the whole transforming robot part is easy, but I’m a little stuck trying to figure out exactly how I would stat the spaceship form, since I’m essentially just the party’s headquarters in that mode...

I mean, is it really that simple? That I just use tons of my alt modes’ PP on a super powerful HQ? I do have a habit of overthinking this kind of stuff, so if people have done something similar, I’d love to hear your solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Re: How to make a spaceship character?

I think the big question to ask is, what is your role when you're the spaceship? If the idea is entirely "this is when you are not here", you don't stat up anything. You just play as the robot avatar and everyone buys up the HQ and Vehicle aspects as if you weren't there (which you are not in this case). If you actually plan to do things as the spaceship, then buy what makes sense for you doing those things.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    I think the big question to ask is, what is your role when you're the spaceship? If the idea is entirely "this is when you are not here", you don't stat up anything. You just play as the robot avatar and everyone buys up the HQ and Vehicle aspects as if you weren't there (which you are not in this case). If you actually plan to do things as the spaceship, then buy what makes sense for you doing those things.
    Well, I would like to be able to perform SOME duties as the ship. It’s not completely an ‘only when i’m Away’ idea, but it seemed like a fun way to play the concept (if I have to interact with the party through a computer, why not BE the computer?) and I’ve gives the DM the opportunity to use me as a sort of living plot device when needed (I just detected something on my sensors, Captain!).

Also, we thought it would be fun to keep my ability to transform a secret until an appropriate moment, so I want to be able to have some fun and games as the ship as I may stay as it for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Banatine View Post
    Well, I would like to be able to perform SOME duties as the ship. It’s not completely an ‘only when i’m Away’ idea, but it seemed like a fun way to play the concept (if I have to interact with the party through a computer, why not BE the computer?) and I’ve gives the DM the opportunity to use me as a sort of living plot device when needed (I just detected something on my sensors, Captain!).

Also, we thought it would be fun to keep my ability to transform a secret until an appropriate moment, so I want to be able to have some fun and games as the ship as I may stay as it for a long time.
    Fair enough. So, what will you be able to do as the ship?

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    Fair enough. So, what will you be able to do as the ship?
    Well, I guess the main things would be long range scanners (Enhanced Senses) and the standard spaceship fare: Perception range guns and transporters. I’m gonna be pretty well protected purely by virtue of my size, but maybe some kind of force fields that I could extend to others too.

I'd do it this way:
    Build the basic character as an immobile intelligent construct, representing the ship's central computer (just like HAL 9000).
    For the robot avatar, add a Summon effect (with the Heroic, Controlled, Responsive, Sensory Link and Mental Link extras).
    The actual ship is bought as a regular vehicle with the Equipment advantage (due to its size, you can also add HQ-features). The ship's specific powers (weapons, scanners etc) are also bought with Equipment points (as with any vehicle).

OPA Belta

There are lots of ways of doing this, and as long as your GM is fine with it, any of them could work. Here is how I would do it: build your PC as if he wasn't a vehicle. That is, using Growth for your size, some sort of Variable (perhaps) for sensors, an array for attacks, etc. Then use Feature to represent all the things you can do as vehicle. For example, Feature 1: Living Space to represent the fact that you can carry people inside safely (this would be the most relevant Feature needed).