Thread: How would I start building this concept?

UN Basic Recipient

How would I start building this concept?

Hello everybody! I'm extremely new to mutants and masterminds, I'm familiarizing myself with the rules and I need to build a power level 8 character by Wednesday. I have a concept, but I am having trouble assigning stats.

The Concept: Super human reflexes, his body just reacts to danger. Like an enhanced spider sense. He got the crap beaten out of him, but he remembers how small time gangsters ducked and wived out of his attacks. In turn he learned how to mimic the same movement. Slowly but surely his body is building up a repertoire of reflexes built for counterattacking.

Re: How would I start building this concept?

Well, one of the first things to include is the Uncanny Dodge Advantage.
    You are especially attuned to danger. You are not vulnerable when surprised or otherwise caught off-guard. You are still made vulnerable by effects that limit your mobility.
    After that, honestly, you basically just give him a high Dodge/Parry score to reflect that he's really good at dodging things. One of the virtues of the system is that a lot of powers are simply built by giving them a power or stat that reflects what you want and then just applying the Descriptor of their power. One possible option (although you'd have to run it by your GM) is to buy Impervious on the Dodge and/or Parry to reflect that there is a bare minimum attack bonus to hit him (although, honestly, this is of limited use with the 3E version of Impervious, plus it's expensive to buy up both defenses).

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by iforcefeedmycat View Post
    Hello everybody! I'm extremely new to mutants and masterminds, I'm familiarizing myself with the rules and I need to build a power level 8 character by Wednesday. I have a concept, but I am having trouble assigning stats.

The Concept: Super human reflexes, his body just reacts to danger. Like an enhanced spider sense. He got the crap beaten out of him, but he remembers how small time gangsters ducked and wived out of his attacks. In turn he learned how to mimic the same movement. Slowly but surely his body is building up a repertoire of reflexes built for counterattacking.
    Sounds like a Defense-shifted character. For a PL 8 character, maybe Parry and Dodge 10 and Toughness 6?

Superhuman Reflexes: Enhanced Parry X; Enhanced Dodge X; Luck Control 1 (spend a hero point or use Luck to force someone else to re-roll a die roll and take the worse of the two rolls); Enhanced Advantages: Defensive Roll X, Luck 4, Second Chance (Dodge check), Uncanny Dodge.

Counterattack: Reaction Damage (up to the limit of your melee attack), Variable Descriptor (any melee attack you have access to). Cost: Max rank x 4, plus 1 for Variable Descriptor.
    Last edited by Kimera757; 09-03-2018 at 07:11 AM.

There's some excellent advice already. I'll try to add without covering too much of the same ground.

Fuzzy's Uncanny Dodge + High Parry/Dodge suggestion does cover most of the defensive basics. You could go a little further with Danger Sense, but that does require you to assign it a sense type and use that sense to detect the source of danger to work. Uncanny Dodge doesn't require a sense (it used to in 2nd edition) and just works. I'd recommend sticking with UD for now but keeping DS in mind for when you and your character are more experienced.

Kimera's Superhuman Reflexes powerset is pretty comprehensive. Luck Control might be a little extreme, but it can certainly fit your concept. Second Chance (Dodge) may be considered too general; SC is meant for relative specific hazards, so a GM might want a tighter condition, like SC: Dodge Projectiles or SC: Dodge Explosions. Check with your GM.

The Counterattack power is solid as well. It basically automatically hits anything that hits you. You could make it a little cheaper and more complicated by adding a Flaw that it requires an Attack check to hit, but as a new player it might be easier to have it always succeed. The Variable Descriptor lets you use something besides unarmed attacks, like a club or a sword.

The only real limit on that is the conceptual limit you have for how strong your PC is and how much damage they could do with an unarmed or armed attack. STR 2 is a good minimum for any character that expects to melee regularly. STR 3-4 gets into Olympic athlete levels of strength, and while the book technically lists human capacity for most Abilities at 7, anything STR 5 or higher is stronger than any recorded human activity. You could add Damage via a simple weapon like a club. You can also just buy Damage ranks and give them the descriptor "Martial Training" or "Fast-Snap Musculature" or something, so your PC can hit hard but not necessarily lift a ton over their head. Also keep in mind that all characters can use any of the Maneuvers that tradeoff up to 2 ranks of combat traits, so you can use a Power Attack Maneuver to add up to +2 to your Damage while taking -2 on your Attack check. You can also buy the Advantage of the same name to allow tradeoffs up to 5 ranks.

For you, I'd recommend keeping your STR around 2-3 (unless your concept includes some serious strength-boosting) and adding enough Damage to get to at least 4 ranks total (half PL). You might also want to get the Power Attack Advantage, but only if you want to face tougher opponents who are also around PL8.

You can then buy Counterattack up to your standard Damage level to fit your concept. In theory, you could make it higher or lower if you wanted, although as an automatic hit it shouldn't be higher than PL. If you did go with the Attack check flaw mentioned above, you could arguably use tradeoffs as well; again, check with your GM.

For other kinds of counterattacks, you might want to look at the Defend Action combined with the Weapon Bind or Weapon Break Advantages, or the Deflect Effect. Redirect and Agile Feint with a reasonably good Acrobatics skill could also be fun and appropriate.

Depending on the ranks you use, all that will still only cost you about half your budget for a PL8, so think about what else you might want to flesh them out.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

UN Basic Recipient

FuzzyBoots, JDRook, and Kimera757 seriously thank you all so much!!! I really do appreciate your help!

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
    The Counterattack power is solid as well. It basically automatically hits anything that hits you. You could make it a little cheaper and more complicated by adding a Flaw that it requires an Attack check to hit, but as a new player it might be easier to have it always succeed. The Variable Descriptor lets you use something besides unarmed attacks, like a club or a sword.
    I forgot to add the Attack Check required Limitation.

Let me add to the exxelent suggestions above with the notion that such a character need not be defense shifted a straight 10/10 Def to toughness is perfectly viable for such a design.

the high toughness can be represented via Defensive roll which represents the characters ability to ""roll with the blow"" at the right moment to avoid injury.

also a high toughness can be simulated as avoiding the damage at the last instant or tensing ones muscles by reflex at the last moment that sort of thing.

A combination of a solid stamina and ranks in defensive roll would not be inappropriate for that type of character.

One could even argue for ranks of impervious to certain attacks with flaws such as must be aware of the attack that sprt of thing to represent instinctive dodges of bullets or blade strikes reading the attackers body language to avoid their attacks.

An example is Equilibrium where the cleric is explaining the theory of Gun Kata to the students about how rote practice allows the practitioner to avoid return fire because of its statistical return angles and such.
    Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories