Thread: How to Build Lucy from Elfen Lied?

UN Basic Recipient

How to Build Lucy from Elfen Lied?

So i was asking myself how to create this character after seeing her description in Death Battle...
    Here in 6:12

Thinking of make her like in the Anime with only 4 vectors and using a array for the frequences.
    You guys think that a combination of Extra Members and Elongation, Insubstancial, Enhanced Trait, Concealment all limited to her Vectors is a good start point for her powers? And any other ideas or tips for how to build her?

Disclaimer: I still new to the site and the system, so if i posted in the wrong place sorry, and i know that she may be placed in a Psichic archtype, but her vectors are a concept to cool to me to be create just with something like Move Objects.

Re: How to Build Lucy from Elfen Lied?

okay, here's an important tip, not just for M&M builds, but for stuff in general that took me a long time to get myself:

Don't overthink it.

Lucy's vectors can just as easily be replicated with a damaging move object with the subtle extra. I know you dismissed it out of hand, but there's a lot to be said for a simple thing being described vividly

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Elodin View Post
    So i was asking myself how to create this character after seeing her description in Death Battle...

Thinking of make her like in the Anime with only 4 vectors and using a array for the frequences.
    You guys think that a combination of Extra Members and Elongation, Insubstancial, Enhanced Trait, Concealment all limited to her Vectors is a good start point for her powers? And any other ideas or tips for how to build her?

Disclaimer: I still new to the site and the system, so if i posted in the wrong place sorry, and i know that she may be placed in a Psichic archtype, but her vectors are a concept to cool to me to be create just with something like Move Objects.
    It might be easier to create an array with Split 4:

Vectors: Damaging Move Object 12, Precise, Subtle, Indirect 3 or so, Split 4, Feature: use Close Combat rather than Ranged Combat for attack rolls other than for throwing objects.
    Alternate Effect: Nullify Psionics (in the anime, some can temporarily deactivate the psychic powers of other diclonii)

High Frequencies: Alternate Resistance: Fortitude, Penetrating on Damage caused by Vectors, Affects Objects

When there's multiple ways to build a power, you generally choose the cheapest one. You could compare to an alternate build, and see if this is cheaper:

Vectors: Extra Limbs 4, Enhanced Strength 12 (Limited to Vectors), Sustained, Indirect 3 or so, Reach X on Vectors, Subtle
    High Frequencies: Alternate Resistance: Fortitude, Penetrating on Damage caused by Vectors, Affects Objects

I would probably go with Move Object, though, because Lucy can reach 1 mile, and Reach simply costs too many points to reach that far. (One mile is 5,280 feet. That's a lot of points spent on Reach!)

In any case, to deal maximum explosive damage, the vectors become visible (not Subtle), so I figure there needs to be an Alternate Power to take that into account.

Also:

Vector Shield: Enhanced Dodge X; Enhanced Parry X; Protection X, Sustained. Quirk: does not apply if vulnerable or defenseless.

I've watched the anime, but I don't recall if she can move her hands through something and then manipulate something on the other side that she cannot see. Are you just referring to her putting her hands in something and then exploding it? That might mean you need to apply an Alternate Resistance (probably Fortitude) to damage dealt.
    Last edited by Kimera757; 09-02-2018 at 08:21 AM.

As a small aside, I would recommend finding another source, something official, when asking for help with a character build. The Death Battle guys are a joke, at best, with erroneous "facts," making up wholesale characteristics or basing assumptions on bias alone.

Kreuz is right in that a lot of what you will ever want to do will be simpler than it seems when converting characters, and much can be done with descriptors as well as standard traits.

OPA Belta

I'd say it's even easier than that. Projection Extra Limbs #, Elongation # Quirked/Limited to Extra Limbs only, Enhanced Strength # Quirked to Extra Limbs only. Add Subtle 1 or 2 as fitting, then apply Strength AEs or other powers to flesh out the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara Croft View Post
    Kreuz is right in that a lot of what you will ever want to do will be simpler than it seems when converting characters, and much can be done with descriptors as well as standard traits.
    On a side note, this is very well put.
    Always start from the result and simplify as much as possible when doing powers: The end result for this character's powers is "long strong hands", and once you've boiled it down it writes itself. Most everything else is extras and descriptors.

UN Basic Recipient

Sorry for taking some time to answer the replies

Kreuzritter Yeah you're right about her powers and the overcomplication is just that i used to that when i start in a system haha But yes, Damaging Move Object with Subtle does it, thanks for the advice too!

Kimera757 wow thanks, you nailed what i had in mind when i put the thread, yeah is kind a waste of points, but cool to see design to me at least. about Lucy using her vectors when she could not see while passing trought things, yeah she can, her escape in the first episode was a good exemple of not seeing, at least i'm pretty sure that helmet blocked her vision. About manipulating things while not seeing and passing trought things in the manga she stopped a bullet that was already inside her body, so yeah.

Lara Croft Thanks i will do that next time, and yes, ScrewAttack kind of full of BS sometimes, i just liked her descreption in the video, had a lot of information that i didn't knowed about, only watched the anime and all.

Nunya B Good point, Damaging Move Object with Subtle and a Feature like use unarmed ends being the best for the character in the end if we start from the result, thanks for the feedback!