Thread: Question about Setting

Question about Setting

Greetings.

I have a question about the setting. I was trying to come up with stories and adventures for Blue Rose and the theme of slavery keeps on coming up here and there. I am doing a game where the players have to rescue someone from slavers, but where do slavers exits? Where does slavery exist in the world of Blue Rose? Pirates and brigands talk about capturing people and selling them into slavery but where? Kern is basically a big work camp so they really would have any slaves. Rezea has a big thing about freedom. Jarzon doesnt mention it but a hard scrabble land, would they really have it?

I love the game, but it does have some inconstancies in its portrayal of the lands. Why would Jarzon host pirates selling there booty which can include slaves in the Leviathan's Teeth? Dark Isle is the only place that could, but how many could they take in all reality? Now I know that the game allows for the GM to customize the hell out of the game world to make it their own but a little more aid would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks...

Protomolecule Host Baroness Nerak's Avatar

Re: Question about Setting

Slavery seems primarily a thing in the Pirate Islands. I think that is the only place with legal slavery (aside from maybe Kern, though trade between Kern and the Islands seems like it would be...difficult). I suspect it is less that there are a lot of places where it is legal and more some evil types keep slaves and the Pirate Islands is a place to get it. I suspect, with nothing backing me up here, that they wanted to avoid anywhere having good law abiding people with slaves, or whatever, but I could be mistaken.

Someone with more experience in the setting may know better.
    Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle)
    Weirdo
    "That queer Goth chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"

Slavery may take some more subtle forms in a Blue Rose campaign, such as The Silence using blackmail or outright threats to make "slaves" of good people with poor luck. Aldis does not allow slavery in any form, but the Silence is quite creative and has a way of working around the law.

Kern uses slavery likely for menial jobs like farming and cleaning streets, buildings, and palaces. Slavery is likely a powerful market in Kern, and they probably still do a lot of business with pirates and kidnappers from all nations, having their cargo shipped discreetly to them.

Jarzon does not strike me as a place that would approve of slavery, but there might be one or two particularly corrupt individuals in the church who keep secret captives. Power corrupts, even in a place that claims to be as holy as Jarzon (perhaps even more so because they have so much power).
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

Green Ronin Staff

Kern is absolutely the single largest purchaser of slaves from pirates and slave-taking gangs. They need the outside addition of bodies to mitigate the rate of death in those work camps: the Kernish populace can't sustain those numbers alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Carriker View Post
    Kern is absolutely the single largest purchaser of slaves from pirates and slave-taking gangs. They need the outside addition of bodies to mitigate the rate of death in those work camps: the Kernish populace can't sustain those numbers alone.
    Okie, but really, how does Kern get the slaves from the pirate isles? There are hundreds of miles of Aldis and Rezea inbetween the pirates and Kern.

Also there is another thing that bothers me about the setting:
    "It is possible to find Rezean mercenaries on either side of a war; different clans are known to take contracts with opposing sides and fight each other."
    Where are they going to war with each other?

The map needs to be filled out more. Thats all I am saying...

Protomolecule Host Baroness Nerak's Avatar

Likely wars seem to be Kern vs. Aldis, Jarzon vs. Aldis, Kern vs. Jarzon, or Pirate Islands vs. Aldis, off the top of my head. There may be conflicts between pirates in the Pirate Islands or the warring would be leaders of Kern.
    Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle)
    Weirdo
    "That queer Goth chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"