Thread: 2E Redundant Drawbacks -- Involuntary Transformation/Power Loss?

UN Basic Recipient

2E Redundant Drawbacks -- Involuntary Transformation/Power Loss?

Trying to build a 2E character, I'm noticing that it can be hard to figure out exactly what drawbacks to apply. Specifically, looking at the case of a superpowered character who gets knocked into a "depowered" form by a specific situation or attack type (imagine a symbiote suit like Venom that gets neutralized by sonic attacks), my first thought was that the Involuntary Transformation and Normal Identity drawbacks, maybe even with One-Way Transformation added, are the obvious approach. However, should I also be applying Power Loss to each power that is lost in that case? It adds up to a lot of points, although I suppose it's fitting since it means that he has a very nasty weakness.

Re: 2E Redundant Drawbacks -- Involuntary Transformation/Power Loss?

It's up to your GM as to how many points you can get back. My personal stance on it is that loss of all powers is a Major Intensity drawback, so the most you can get is 3-5 PP back (Uncommon, Common, Very Common) for the Major Intensity of losing all of the powers. This fits with the Normal Identity Drawback.

Re: 2E Redundant Drawbacks -- Involuntary Transformation/Power Loss?

Here is how I've always interpreted them myself by example. As Fuzzy said, GM has final say. There are definitely times when more than one of those drawback could validly apply, but then you are really limited or probably should only have one or the other anyway.

One-Way Transformation: You can access your transformation (and powers) generally whenever you want, but you can't control when you turn it off. A good example would be a werewolf that can transform anytime they want, but can't change back until daylight. Another example would be a Hulk like character with different personalities in the different modes that can trigger the transformation, but can't return to "normal" until the other side willingly gives up control. If the same player has control of both forms/personalities I would be wary to allow the second one unless I knew the player well, but if they 2 forms were literally played by separate players or one of them controlled by the GM, I would allow it most of the time at my table.

Involuntary Transformation: is when you have no choice on when your transformation happens. For example a Hulk that transforms any time they get angry (maybe maybe not on getting a Will save to avoid it) whether he wants to or not or a werewolf that transforms at night or with the lunar cycle even if they don't want to. This usually carries a certain amount of One-Way Transformation included in it since if you can instantly turn it back off at will, it really isn't much of a drawback most of the time. If your transformation was especially hated/feared by the populous and very obvious then maybe being able to turn it off as an action (and probably a passed save required to do so) then. Even if you can turn back after a couple turns, transforming into a giant terrifying monster unwillingly in the middle of a crowded mall/hospital/school/etc. is going to draw a lot of attention and possibly gunfire.

Normal Identity: is more of a Clark Kent/Superman or a Bruce Wayne/Batman thing. The flaw doesn't inherently include any sort of transformation or limits to when and where you can use your powers other than the consequences to your "normal" life and those around you.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    My character library