Thread: New GM, wanting to make sure I'm doing this right!

UN Basic Recipient

New GM, wanting to make sure I'm doing this right!

Hello and thanks for taking a look! I want to get into the game as a DM, but before I help my group make their characters, I wanted to try and make a few ahead of time to get a fuller grasp of the system. I have deluxe, and power profiles for reference, and have been building the characters in SKIS 3e excel sheet.

NOTE: My setting has all our hero's/villain's powers originating from exposure to an alien mineral (think Terrigen Mist). Powers are determined by the persons surroundings/mental state/interactions at the time of exposure.

Any feedback is very much appreciated!

Matchstick
    PL8

Abilities
    Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 6, Dexterity 6, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 4, Presence 4

Powers
    "Flame Aura: "
    Flame Aura: Damage 4 [Fire, Mutant; Reaction (when touched); Activation (move), Noticable (flame covered)]
    (14 points)
    "Fire Blast: "
    Fire Blast: Damage 4 [Fire, Mutant; Ranged]
    (8 points)
    "Flarelight: "
    Flarelight: Environment 4 [Fire, Light, Mutant]
    (4 points)"

Equipment
    "Motor Cycle"
    Engine: Speed 6 [Technology; Activation (Move)], Added Features: Feature 1 [Technology; Anti-Theft Device], All-Terrain Stabilization System: Movement 2 [Technology; Sure-Footed 2]
    "Flame Suit"
    Flame Retardent Suit: Immunity 10 [Technology; Fire]"

Advantages
    Defensive Roll 6, Equipment 4, Evasion 2, Fearless, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
    Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 2 (+2), Deception (+4), Expertise: Stunt Man 6 (+6), Insight 2 (+6), Intimidation (+4), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion (+4), Ranged Combat: Fire Blast 6 (+12), Stealth 2 (+8), Vehicles 6 (+12)

Offense
    Initiative +6
    "Flame Aura +2, Damage 4
    Fire Blast +12, Damage 4"

Defense
    Dodge 10, Parry 5
    Toughness 8 (Def Roll 6), Fortitude 6, Will 7

Power Points
    Abilities 48 + Powers 26 + Advantages 14 + Skills 18 + Defenses 14 = Total 120

Complications
    Motivation: Thrills, Temper, Weakness (Water)

Design Notes
    None of his "Mutant Powers" are in an array, due to the likelihood of having to overlap abilities (shoot a Fire Blast while Flame Aura or Flarelight is active.)
    Gained mutant powers during a stunt involving being doused in flames.

Baleful Eye of SaurMod Fildrigar's Avatar

Re: New GM, wanting to make sure I'm doing this right!

Hey, man. It is absolutely imperative that you read the rules posted at the top of the forum. ( Link for ease of reading:
    https://roninarmy.com/threads/7-Term...es-to-Post-By) )

They say,

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW ACCOUNT ( UNDER 20 POSTS ) THERE MAY BE A DELAY IN YOUR POSTS SHOWING UP. THIS IS AN ANTI-SPAM MEASURE. PLEASE BE PATIENT. YOUR POSTS WILL SHOW UP, IT JUST WILL TAKE SOME TIME.
    That means do not copy and paste your post and resubmit it. You must be patient. We don't like spam here. The additional scrutiny from the Spamerator Rays help us keep spam from happening. You wouldn't have wanted to see these forums four years ago. Every other post was trying to sell you something. The delays will go away as you post more.
    ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

I'll start on the legal issues of the Build since those are the easiest to spot.

First is that it breaks PL, he is PL 8 but defense and toughness combine to 18 which is PL 9. One needs to be lowered by 2 ranks. Second his fire suit is not a valid piece of equipment, the item is too unique and doesn't fit the themes of equipment due to being a full immunity where equipment, at best, gives circumstance bonuses. Noticeable does not go on sustained effects or instant effects since those are noticeable by default.

In Technical Building there's a few issues, presence is not an ability to invest when short on points or not core to the concept. Dexterity is similarly advised against if not core to the concept or you plan to possibly make use of the associated skills. I have no idea why his acrobatics is so high when he's not using it for feinting or other checks, his vehicle takes care of mobility. the damage is rather low with too much investment in the fire aura which is a notoriously not worth it point sink for many a character, I'd serously suggest making an array or adding a flaw like distracting to it. D.Roll is also something that's recommended against due to being inferior protection and with a fire character and a biker it wouldn't be out there to be more naturally tough or have something like thick leather armor.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly-sama View Post
    I'll start on the legal issues of the Build since those are the easiest to spot.

First is that it breaks PL, he is PL 8 but defense and toughness combine to 18 which is PL 9. One needs to be lowered by 2 ranks. Second his fire suit is not a valid piece of equipment, the item is too unique and doesn't fit the themes of equipment due to being a full immunity where equipment, at best, gives circumstance bonuses. Noticeable does not go on sustained effects or instant effects since those are noticeable by default.

In Technical Building there's a few issues, presence is not an ability to invest when short on points or not core to the concept. Dexterity is similarly advised against if not core to the concept or you plan to possibly make use of the associated skills. I have no idea why his acrobatics is so high when he's not using it for feinting or other checks, his vehicle takes care of mobility. the damage is rather low with too much investment in the fire aura which is a notoriously not worth it point sink for many a character, I'd serously suggest making an array or adding a flaw like distracting to it. D.Roll is also something that's recommended against due to being inferior protection and with a fire character and a biker it wouldn't be out there to be more naturally tough or have something like thick leather armor.
    Ok, so the most egregious errors are fixed. All PL requirements are met. Fire suit is now accurately represented as a power with the removable flaw.

As far as technical know how, thanks for the advice. Again, I'm new to the system so this insight helps a lot. Coming from mostly level based systems, its hard to accept 0's in stats, so maybe I threw points around just because it felt right. Presence at 0 actually makes more since for the character concept anyway; explains why he was never an action star and only a stuntman. Dex was reduced to zero as well, and replaced with ranks in ranged attack skill. I've kept the high Acrobatics, since it fits the character concept so well, but added the agile faint advantage to get more bang out if it. Damage is notched up, and arrayed to give a wider range of attack options. Still dig the fire aura too much to let it go, even at that point cost. Defense roll is gone, replaced with a toughness buff and more points in stamina. lot of other minor tweeks.

Let me know what you think! Thanks again.

Round 2

Matchstick
    PL8

Abilities
    Strength 0, Stamina 4, Agility 6, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 4, Presence 0

Powers
    Flame Aura:
    Flame Aura: Damage 4 [Fire, Mutant; Reaction (when touched); Activation (move); ]
    (15 points)
    Fire Control:
    Fire Blast: Damage 6 [Fire, Mutant; Ranged]
    Alt: Fire Arc: Damage 4 [Fire, Mutant; Ranged; Multiattack]
    Alt: Thermal Explosion: Damage 6 [Fire, Mutant; Area (Sphere), Ranged; Tiring]
    (14 points)
    Flarelight:
    Flarelight: Environment 4 [Fire, Light, Mutant]
    (4 points)
    Devices:
    Flame Resistant Suit: Immunity 10 [Fire, Mutant; Full Immunity (Fire); Removable]
    (8 points)

Equipment
    Motor Cycle
    Engine: Speed 6 [Technology; Activation (Move)], Added Features: Feature 1 [Technology; Anti-Theft Device], All-Terrain Stabilization System: Movement 2 [Technology; Sure-Footed 2]

Advantages
    Agile Feint, Equipment 2, Evasion 2, Fearless, Uncanny Dodge, Second Chance 1 [Falling]

Skills
    Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 6 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+6), Deception (+0), Expertise: Stunt Man 6 (+6), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation (+0), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion (+0), Ranged Combat: Fire Control 10 (+10), Stealth (+6), Vehicles 8 (+8)

Offense
    Initiative +6
    Flame Aura +2, Damage 4, Reaction Auto Hit
    Fire Blast +10, Damage 6, Ranged
    Flame Arc +10, Damage 4, Ranged, Multiattack
    Thermal Explosion +10, Damage 6, Ranged, Area, Tiring
    Unarmed +6, Damage 0

Defense
    Dodge 10, Parry 5
    Toughness 6 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 8, Will 7

Power Points
    Abilities 32 + Powers 41 + Advantages 8 + Skills 25 + Defenses 14 = Total 120

Complications
    Motivation: Thrills, Temper, Weakness (Water)

Is his Second Chance for Acrobatic checks to resist falling in the first place, or Toughness checks to resist against falling Damage?

He has Stamina 4, and no other Toughness boosting abilities-no Protection or Defensive Roll, so why is Toughness 6?

From a PC's perspective, you're not gonna get a lot of mileage out of his Thermal Explosion or Fire Arc powers, as they're both undercaps. Fire Arc is a PL 7 attack (Multiattack will help a little, because of his relatively high accuracy, but not much, and Thermal Explosion is not gonna threaten most characters at his PL. It would be a nice ability to deal with lots of Minions, but using a power that has Tiring to get rid of Minions seems...counter-productive.

The Flame Resistant Suit seems like an...odd choice. Most characters who have energy controlling powers are also at least partially immune to their own element. Its a neat little character touch if he isn't and requires a suit, but without knowing...anything about the character and just looking at his stats it seems like a way to save points (and it only saves you 2, so not even a very good point shave).

He's way undercapped against Close attacks, and while his flame aura mitigates that a bit, its still a glaring weak spot.

If you fold his Firelight ability into his Aura, drop his base fire blast and Evasion 2 (when you're Dodge shifted, Evasion feels like overkill), you get 6 points. With those 6 points you can make Fire Arc rank 6, which means it fully hits his caps and will actually be as useful as an average PL 8 character's main attack.

You can then drop Tiring from his Thermal Explosion power or if you want it to be a fully at caps area attack, make it Close Range and bring it up to rank 8.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!