Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movement Power Costs

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Movement Power Costs

I think that my issues can be summed up as:

1) I like to use battle maps. This remains valid for characters that do not have movement powers, or at least not as fast as they can be. I wiould like the characters that can basically "be anywhere" have to pay for it. Granted, outside of combat it is less of a concern (but see #3).

2) Action economy
    If the character can be anywhere on the map they can totally mop the floor with a character that does not have that level of mobility. This is where teleporters shine in combat. Not really game-breaking but I feel that it should be more expensive. I say this even though it is one of my personal favorite powers.

3) Ignore things
    This is where Flying really shines, but also most valid for Teleportation. The character can totally bypass terrain, hazards, enemies, security, etc. Thiis is probably my biggest concern. Most characters have to come up with a solution, even if it is just "CHARGE!", but movement powers, especially flying, can let the character say "oh, that's nice. Noting can touch me!" and just move along. Depending on the type of flight the character could move along a corridor that others have to pass through without touching the floor or go high enough as to bypass obstacles and low enough as to ignore things on the ceiling. Telekinetic flight (or similar) is king. Some flight could even work in the water, so it can also act as swimming. This is an aside as it can easily be an alternate power effect.

4) Improved attack vector
    Mostly flying as it can allow attacks from above, but also teleportation and leaping can do this if used in a good situation. Flying snipers can really be powerful, especially if they can fly and peek out from behind cover.

@SeeleyOne
    I few thoughts o'mine:
    Reading your posts, I guess you're coming from D&D (or a similar RPG). Yet M&M isn't D&D. By default its a superhero RPG, and superheroes are supposed to be SUPER: With characters like The Flash around, distances indeed become trivial (somewhat devaluating battle maps), and physical obstacles are no problem for Nightcrawler or Shadowcat. So I'd just roll with it.
    Your proposed solution of making certain movement powers more expensive would just penalize some legitimate character archetypes. Also, from my personal gaming experience, the higher ranks of movement powers are seldom actually used in combat situations - there's little difference between Speed 6 and Speed 10 (these higher ranks mostly see use in speed-related challenges and long-range travel).
    IMHO mobility is a key component in every well-rounded hero build (this counts twice for melee-based builds), and this I point out to newbie players (to prevent them from accidentally creating a "sitting duck"-hero). When you look at the hero-archetypes in the corebook, almost everyone has a decent mobility power - the ugly duckling is the Martial Artist (melee fighter with no movement powers - ouch!). Even low-ranked movement powers feasible for "badass normals" (think Batman or Punisher) can make a HUGE difference.

Topic Flight:
    I agree with you that this is simply the most powerful & versatile movement effect in the game. Yet the most powerful rank is actually the FIRST one - 1 single rank of Flight is dirt-cheap and EXTREMELY useful. So here I go against my usual policy of avoiding point-changing houserules: At my table, I use the Flight-Maneuverability optional rule. This makes "vanilla" Flight very clumsy (no hovering, no narrow turns etc) - to alleviate that, you can buy either the "Good" (1p) or "Perfect" (2p) flat extra (effectively front-loading the cost of Flight).

Topic Teleport:
    Vanilla Teleport has one serious drawback - you must be able to accurately perceive your destination point! This means you normally cannot teleport around a corner, through a door, or out of a crashing elevator, and so on. To pull off the latter, you'll need the Accurate extra (increasing Teleport's cost, just as you suggested). The only alternative would be using an effect like Remote Sensing for targeting the destination point, yet this is impractical in combat situations.
    Last edited by Bothrops; 09-08-2018 at 11:08 AM.

UN Basic Recipient

Good points everybody. I will have to see about adopting some of Bothrops' rules.

I guess this is a reminder that I don't necessarily know better than the designers and community. I will try it your way and see what happens. If I still have concerns later I can make changes then. I guess it shows that I have not played M&M in a long time. Thanks again.

OPA Belta

1) Even a couple ranks is enough to "be anywhere" on most battle maps I've seen. I'm not sure what you expect a cost hike to cause anyways, since the PP difference will be fairly marginal at lower ranks.
    2) I've never seen this really occur except with a fast shooty guy facing a slow melee-only guy in the open. Melee drive-bys can be handled with ready actions, ranged drive-bys can be handled by ducking into a nook and readying a charge. Remember, terrain!
    3,4) Basically what Bothrops said. Flight is front-loaded. Remember also that if this is a super-setting then people can and will prepare for teleporting/flying supers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    ranged drive-bys can be handled by ducking into a nook and readying a charge.
    Another possibility for high-STR melee powerhouses: Readying a THROW ("Here comes the flying dump truck of doom").

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Another possibility for high-STR melee powerhouses: Readying a THROW ("Here comes the flying dump truck of doom").
    If you've got good throwing, you're not a melee-only character!

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    If you've got good throwing, you're not a melee-only character!
    Flexibility is king, and one-trick-ponies suck. I'd recommend any powerhouse build to invest a few points in Ranged Combat (throwing). It's quite cheap points-wise, very effective, and also an iconic powerhouse-move.

OPA Belta

The only change I might recommend to Flight is to make speed = Flight rank - 2. This mitigates the huge benefits just 1 rank of flight will have, and it's consistent with the way other movement powers are nerfed.