Thread: Nullify light question

UN Basic Recipient

Nullify light question

This would likely be a villain's power for a series I'm making. For a character who can absorb light, leaving the area totally dark, could he use a nullify power which negates light in the visible spectrum? I'm not sure if this would be broken since there would be neither an attack check nor a resistance check for leaving players visually unaware and giving an automatic 3rd degree effect.

Re: Nullify light question

I think it makes more sense to use the Obscure power to induce darkness. 3E Obscure is a weird sort of hacky thing, but the Power Profiles bring back the (IMO superior) 2E rules as an option.

Protomolecule Host

I figure that's a multi-part power.

Area Visual Concealment Attack (aka Obscure).
    Nullify Light. (This doesn't nullify normal light, but would nullify powers with the light descriptor, such as Environment (Light), Ranged Damage (light), Light Communication (laser), and so forth.)

I was thinking of the D&D spell, Silence.

Area Auditory Concealment Attack (you can't even talk to each other normally when in the area of effect)
    Nullify Sound (nullifies sound-based powers; this would nullify any Auditory-Dependent powers)
    Immunity Sonic (Area but not Selective) - this might not be necessary considering the Nullify Sound, but it's all or nothing whereas Nullify might fail. Immunity Sonic would not stop Auditory-Dependent powers that don't attack with a sonic effect; for instance, it would not render you immune to a Compelling Voice.
    Auditory Concealment
    (Nullify Magic; this one is special, in that it does not nullify preexisting magic, but prevents someone from using a power with the Magic descriptor while within the area)

Of course, the Obscure power can still be used as a Counter action if the descriptors match up, which is much like how most people use Nullify.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTieGuy View Post
    ...negates light in the visible spectrum?
    I would most likely use Environment (Visibility 2) 2PP/Rank to create an Area of regular Darkness (aka. affecting only regular Sight, not Super Sight like Infravision or Ultravision).

The mentioned Area Visual Concealtment Attack ("Obscure") enables the Power to affect all Visual Senses, but can turn out quite expensive if the Area to be affected is larger than 30 feet radius (Concealment 2pp/rank + Attack 1pp/rank + Area 1(+1/additional Distance Rank)pp/rank. All Visual Senses = 4 ranks). For a Burst Area supposed to affect 120 feet radius, that Power would cost 24 PP (the Enviroment Solution at that Range would Cost 6 PP).

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTieGuy View Post
    This would likely be a villain's power for a series I'm making. For a character who can absorb light, leaving the area totally dark, could he use a nullify power which negates light in the visible spectrum? I'm not sure if this would be broken since there would be neither an attack check nor a resistance check for leaving players visually unaware and giving an automatic 3rd degree effect.
    Concerning the "no resistance check"-issue: It's not broken, because it affects everyone (including the user). And an Area Concealment Attack doesn't technically render anyone unaware, but rather turns everything within its area invisible. So passing the (hypothetical) resistance check would just make you the only thing NOT concealed - rather disadvantageous, so a resistance check is pointless. And it'd also be pointless in a narrative sense - Clarice Starling also wouldn't get a resistance check against being effectively blind when Buffalo Bill turns off the light in his basement.
    Yet I agree with Fuzzy that the revived 2e Obscure effect presented in the Power Profiles is far superior compared to awkward Area Concealment Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorakar
    I would most likely use Environment (Visibility 2) 2PP/Rank to create an Area of regular Darkness (aka. affecting only regular Sight, not Super Sight like Infravision or Ultravision).

The mentioned Area Visual Concealtment Attack ("Obscure") enables the Power to affect all Visual Senses, but can turn out quite expensive if the Area to be affected is larger than 30 feet radius (Concealment 2pp/rank + Attack 1pp/rank + Area 1(+1/additional Distance Rank)pp/rank. All Visual Senses = 4 ranks). For a Burst Area supposed to affect 120 feet radius, that Power would cost 24 PP (the Enviroment Solution at that Range would Cost 6 PP).
    Umm... Environment (visibility) doesn't grant any true concealment. It merely causes penalties on perception checks.
    And the Attack extra's cost is 0pp/rank.