Thread: Do multiple activations/modes stack?

UN Basic Recipient

Do multiple activations/modes stack?

I think this might have been brought up before, but I couldn't find the answer.

I was looking through the various talents and specializations, and I saw that a fair number of them involve performing the activate action to gain a bonus or to enter a particular mode that also grants bonuses. For example, the Single Weapon Style talent says:

"If you take the activate action, you gain a +1 Defense bonus until the end of the encounter while fighting in this style."

The Champion specialization has an ability that says:

"You can lead your allies in an inspired defense. First, you must use the activate action to enter Rally mode."

I'm having a hard time figuring out the purpose behind the activation action for these abilities. I would have thought that it might be to encourage players to commit to a single activation or mode at a time, choosing what they want to focus on in a given encounter. But I have found no such ruling in the book. It seems as though you are able to have multiple modes and activations going at the same time. For example, if I was a Warrior who trained in Single Weapon Style and took the Berserker and Champion specializations, then I could theoretically have the +1 Defense activation, Berserk mode, AND Rally mode active all at once. Granted, it would take me at least two turns to get all of those things going, but there it is.

So is that the sole purpose of the activation action, then? To slow down your character in combat if you want to get access to those bonuses? And if that's the case, then why do some abilities designate a particular "mode" while others just tell you to perform the activate action? It seems like there was supposed to be a rule baked in that made players have to choose between modes. But I haven't found anything like that.

Anyway, any enlightenment on this topic would be appreciated. Let me know if I'm just missing something or give me your own thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Do multiple activations/modes stack?

You have it right! You can use as many modes as you have activate actions to turn them on. If you really take the time you can have all the modes you possess active at once.

Activate is also used to activate magic item powers like drinking a Healing Potion or lighting and inhaling an Incense of Awareness (once you have used a Ready action to get the item into your hands of course).
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

UN Basic Recipient

Interesting. I do like the idea of being able to have multiple modes active at once, but I still wonder why the discrepancy in terminology. Some things are modes and other things are just... things.

OPA Belta

Agreed with above. It's an activate action to enter a mode, and as many can be active that aren't contradictory.

UN Basic Recipient

I think I've discovered the answer to my confusion. After looking over the specialization talents again, I see that most (if not all) of the modes granted have additional benefits while in that mode at higher degrees of the talents. So the rules call them out as being specific modes in order to more efficiently dispense information and with greater clarity. Its for ease of understanding, not to limit characters to one particular mode.

tl;dr: You are both correct. I was trying to find the rationale behind the rules and I found it and am now satisfied.

Thanks for the input!