Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Age Companion Questions

UN Basic Recipient

Fantasy Age Companion Questions

Hi all, I looked at FA a bit back and decided the maths were not my cup of tea (I felt the chances to hit things were very high)...could anybody tell me what the Companion options are to maybe see if I might take another look at the game please?

Re: Fantasy Age Companion Questions

I don’t personally see how having low TN makes the game less fun, but different folks have different preferences. Fantasy Age is more about “what did you do in addition to hitting them?” Stunt points are what you look for most of the time, and Armor is a much more powerful mitagator if harm than Defense is (although if you really work at it, you can still get a decent Defense with Talents, actions in combat, and stunts).

If you are lookin for ways to tool the game to be more your liking, you might consider something Modern Age does on some modes of play, having Defense increase at specific levels.

Having higher Defenses might require lower Armor Ratings, so the PCs feel like they are making real progress when they finally hit an enemy.
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

As for Companion options, there are options to make the game’s combat more dangerous or less dangerous, but this is mostly done by adjusting how much Health charactes have and/or improving damage rolls.
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Revturkey View Post
    Hi all, I looked at FA a bit back and decided the maths were not my cup of tea (I felt the chances to hit things were very high)...could anybody tell me what the Companion options are to maybe see if I might take another look at the game please?
    There are few options with regard to Defense, which is, I have to admit, a little bit problematic.

There should be a mechanism to directly increase Defense, not only by increasing Dexterity. AGE has somewhat the same problem as SIFRP, where you are dead if you wear heavy armor. And, historically speaking, heavy armor was probably not invented to make the wearer more killable.

I do not know how seriously one can take that, but there is an internet video from Switzerland with a Parcours competition between a fully equipped firefighter, a man in heavy late medieval plate armor and a fully equipped soldier. The soldier came in last; the Knight came second, and the firefighter was the winner. Luckily. Apparently you can run and climb and crawl just fine in knightly armor, outpacing even a modern soldier.
    Last edited by rulandor; 08-09-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rulandor View Post
    There are few options with regard to Defense, which is, I have to admit, a little bit problematic.

There should be a mechanism to directly increase Defense, not only by increasing Dexterity. AGE has somewhat the same problem as SIFRP, where you are dead if you wear heavy armor. And, historically speaking, heavy armor was probably not invented to make the wearer more killable.
    I’m not sure I’m following.

You can hold shields, take the Guard Up or Defend actions, take the Weapon and Shield talent, gain the benefits of spells that increase Defense, some settings might have Defense boosting Magic Items, and having heavy armor has made my warriors very difficult to kill.

Those are the options I can think of right now. And AGE is so modular it’s not difficult to make new options for players.

Having Defense be too high also is going to cut down on Stunt Points the PCs get (as you do not keep SP if the test fails), which hamstrings one of the most exciting parts of the game.

UN Basic Recipient

Hi all, thanks very much for your answers...

So they have done the options with just hit points then? No changes to DEF as well?

I thought that the maths made rolling to hit almost pointless (as you nearly always hit) except for seeing if you triggered stunts. I would have liked to see a combined option, making the game a little less ‘gamey’ and a touch more simulationist...not to worry, maybe this just isn’t for me. I love everything about this game except the maths and I am not a great one for doing my own tinkering with system mechanics...I like things written down so I can show players when rule issues arise etc...oh well. Thanks again.

OPA Belta

Well, to be honest, you both have a point. The more characters gain power, the more easy it gets to hit even supposedly powerful characters. Kot is also right - there are a lot of moving parts in the game, giving tactical options with regard to Defense.

I admit that part of the reason for my first post in this thread was a fit of frustration about how easily my players overcame a Charnel Knight in our most recent game. But Kot's remarks made me look again at the stats in the book und I noticed that I as the game master had underplayed the poor Charnel Knight. Obviously I had a very bad day (we have an extreme heat spell over here in the middle of Europe, and most people are currently well below their normal efficiency, if I may make that excuse) and did neither use the Charnel Knight's options of Weapon and Shield style (or, if not that, then his Dual Weapon Style), and neither did I keep in mind the options of the Guard-Up Minor Action or the Defensive Stance Stunt. All in all, in several combat rounds the Charnel Knight could have beefed up his defense from 12 to 15 oder even more in the case of stunt points.

So, it is a matter of taste, more or less. AGE has a lot of moving parts with regard to hits and damage, and the static Defense value is only part of that. Whether one likes that part or not is a matter of individual preference.
    Last edited by rulandor; 08-10-2018 at 07:29 AM.

OPA Belta

I think that as originally intended, AGE is a fun, cinematic romp. Stunts are a cool concept, and much more interesting than a critical hit that just adds damage. I would have liked for there to be an equally interesting fumble system.

However, AGE (all iterations) stumble because of the TN mechanics. Hits become virtually guaranteed with any amount of forethought, and Attack rolls are really just rolls to see if stunts are achieved. This is problematic for several reasons:

1. Stunts are too common - there is a certain element of stunt paralysis, trying to achieve best utilization of SP. Also, special effects become less special the more frequent they are.

2. Dramatics - auto hit and auto fail lead to boring gameplay. And by the second level a character can realistically hit the toughest opponents 90%of the time. Hit with stunts vs hit without stunts is also far less interesting than a simple hit or miss.

3. Empowerment - it is quite likely that if you roll successfully you will still fail. A 1d6 base weapon rarely will do anything against heavy armor, and even then it does so little that it might as well be nothing. Successful rolls that are the equivalent of failed rolls are very poisonous to the group imo.

OPA Belta

I have to agree with Kot that heavy armor doesn't make you more killable. I'd say it's the reverse. You pretty much have to go heavy armor and Armor Training. The AR is so effective against weapons that it doesn't matter if they hit you, which they will regardless. They won't penetrate. Also, the Master level of the talent is pretty handy.

Personally, some defensive alterations that I've included are:

Defensive focuses: both a +Def and +AR with the +Def as the precursor to the AR.

Individualized Armor Training: Separated into light, medium, and heavy. Generally made armor better, but diminished the penetrating buff. It makes rogues more effective.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
    I have to agree with Kot that heavy armor doesn't make you more killable. I'd say it's the reverse. You pretty much have to go heavy armor and Armor Training. The AR is so effective against weapons that it doesn't matter if they hit you, which they will regardless. They won't penetrate. Also, the Master level of the talent is pretty handy.

Personally, some defensive alterations that I've included are:

Defensive focuses: both a +Def and +AR with the +Def as the precursor to the AR.

Individualized Armor Training: Separated into light, medium, and heavy. Generally made armor better, but diminished the penetrating buff. It makes rogues more effective.
    In my group, adapting those changes would be very problematic. Several players have carefully min-maxed their characters for combat and have nigh impenetrable Def values, pumping their Dexterity for Initiative and Defense.

If I should give them houserules for beefing up their Def even more, my poor NPCs are in more trouble than they already are.

The specialized Armor Training Talent might prove useful, although the PCs overcame an AR 10 Charnel Knight quite easily with a barrage of Mighty Blow and Lethal Blow stunts.