Thread: Nullify Issues

Protomolecule Host ArmoredAnathema's Avatar

Nullify Issues

I have a player that happens to have an ability which he can get rid of condition by Nullifying them with a time reversal power. I am okay with this for helping allies get rid of their non-damage conditions.

The problem comes when the particular threat I am creating for the encounters is that there's a form of corruption that takes over and spreads which has lasting consequences.

It's not even so much the problem of being able to Nullify the effect, but it's the fact that, with how Nullify works, if he succeeds by any bit of degrees, he just shuts the target's afflicted state off.

Should I start having the "corruption" effects all Sustained effects that turn back on? Should I just not even let him Nullify the effects?

Honestly, I think I might have just answered my own question, but what are your thoughts?

OPA Belta

Re: Nullify Issues

I would suggest coming up with some plausible reason his Nullify won't work, then handing him a Hero Point when he eventually tries and auto-fails.
    I'd also suggest making sure the adventure includes a few things his Nullify will work on, so he still feels like his gimmick is useful.

Protomolecule Host ArmoredAnathema's Avatar

I think the Complication is the most effective way of doing it.

Although I realized the main reason why he was able to nullify in the first place was with a Nullify 14 Perception Ranged attack on top of using a player's gifted luck to reroll. And even then, he just barely succeeded with a roll of 16-17 on the dice due to how very high the ranks of the transform Affliction was.

I think what I might do is allow for in-progress transformations' Conditions to be canceled out via Nullify, but the Nullify would only temporarily suppress those deeply changed enough by power? I would still let him his his Age Manipulation Affliction to return people to a previous state via Transformed and his other features of the power sincethat requires a lot more work than a single success with Nullify.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredAnathema View Post
    I think the Complication is the most effective way of doing it.

Although I realized the main reason why he was able to nullify in the first place was with a Nullify 14 Perception Ranged attack on top of using a player's gifted luck to reroll.
    Is this a PL 14 campaign?

Assuming it is, perhaps it could only revert them by 14 time units (which is one day).