Thread: Super Mario brothers as a power group?

Protomolecule Host

Super Mario brothers as a power group?

How would you fine people make the various suits/power ups work as mutants and masterminds powers?
    This is mostly a thought exercise mind you.

Protomolecule Host

Re: Super Mario brothers as a power group?

Those are pieces of super-equipment, IMO.

They're too rare to actually be equipment. You can't buy them and you can't guarantee they'll last (in a lot of the games, getting hit once will cause you to shed your suit). They're also not powers, as they don't even qualify for "reliable". These super-equipment may be restricted only to "the Seven Stars" or something that ensures only heroes (and maybe a few villains like Wario) can use them.

PL implications: The suits are useless if they bump your stats but you are already at maximum. Suppose Super Mario is PL 6, but PL 8 when using the best suits. This makes Super Mario a PL 8 character, but his stats are limited to PL 6, and the suits can give him at most +2 to stats (and can play with tradeoffs; a P-Wing won't increase Mario's Toughness but likely would increase his Dodge a lot).

Even then, some of these items are utterly ludicrous. The Invincibility Star? I guess that gives you Immunity (Toughness saves) plus a Reaction Aura (anything touching you takes a lot of damage, and this damage probably has the Alternate Resistance: Parry), plus Limited duration, plus minor boosts to Leaping/Dodge/Parry, plus feature: plays cool music.

UN Basic Recipient

Following with interest, I'm getting ready to run a game and a player wants to play an inventor/gadgeteer who bases all his stuff off of video games. He wants to do MegaMan/Zero power armor, Mario Bros, Link, and so on.

Protomolecule Host

What POWERS would the suits give you & a possible solution for the fragile condition is for the power to be reliable until your knocked unconscious then for (at least) 24 hours after it becomes fickle?

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Abe ray View Post
    What POWERS would the suits give you & a possible solution for the fragile condition is for the power to be reliable until your knocked unconscious then for (at least) 24 hours after it becomes fickle?
    For the second, if it's Mario 1 or 3, the power goes away if you take any damage. Mario doesn't fall unconscious when he's hit while wearing his Raccoon Suit. He just loses the suit. (Mario is actually very fragile. No Protection power!)

For the first, are we talking about Mario 3? (That's the one I'm picturing.)

The Raccoon suit is probably Flight, Gliding, with a bonus to Leaping (when running only), Athletics and maybe Acrobatics. To use the flying ability, Mario needs to run, jump really high and then he starts gliding. It also gives him a Damage ability (the tail attack).

I don't believe a 24 hour duration is required. If Mario can go days without damage, I don't see why he can't keep the suit.