Thread: PL 10 Battlesuit Superhero Modifiying from the archetype

UN Basic Recipient

PL 10 Battlesuit Superhero Modifiying from the archetype

Hi! I'm new to M&M and I decided I'd like to use the battlesuit archetype http://www.d20herosrd.com/character-...es/battlesuit/ as a base and modify it from there but I'm having trouble understanding the best way to do it and where its safe to cut costs. Some of what I'd like to add is a little bit more variety to the blaster with an array ( maybe a penetrating attack, a group one or have the main attack do group damage as well, and a non-lethal). Additionally i was hoping to maybe add a bit of a forcefield in addition to or in exchange for some of the armor and the ability to project that forcefield onto an ally. If possible it would be cool to fit in some micromissiles too XD but i'm tyring to not be real greedy either. Do I really need all this strength and to fly that well? Help cutting where its appropriate and setting up the array would be much appreciated.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: PL 10 Battlesuit Superhero Modifiying from the archetype

If anybody could direct me to some other powersuit builds for inspiration too that'd be great i havent had a lot of luck googling them.

Protomolecule Host

That archetype has (barring errors) spent all of its points. You're looking for something more powerful, so you need to cut back somewhere. Perhaps your Flight rank is lower, for instance. Or perhaps your character is more of a "bruiser" and "ace pilot" and didn't put as many points into Intellect. They didn't build their suit, they just use it, and might not even know how to repair that suit (so save on skills). Of course, not knowing how to do those things will cost you at some point

Force Field is Protection, Sustain (same cost) plus Affects Others (+1 per rank, and only works on allies within close range, but you could spend more points on Area, Ranged/Perception Ranged/Selective to make it more useful). I would avoid the Affects Others part, unless you're a rescue hero. PCs are supposed to bring their Toughness values to approximately the campaign PL anyway.

For the attacks, how much flexibility do you want? You could go with Variable Descriptor 2 (broad, technological) and your attacks could be lasers, particle beams, or bullets, depending on what descriptor you pick that round. However that would not allow Penetrating, etc.

You could go with Variable Mecha Weapons Systems X, which costs 8 or so points per rank and gives you 5 ranks of "stuff" per rank. You need 20 points (Variable 4) to get a Blast 10, but of course that's with no special abilities whatsoever. With Variable 6 you get another 10 points, enough to add Multiattack 10, or Penetrating 10, or Homing [X] plus something else, or Laser Beam: Blast 8, Accurate, and Extended Range, or BEAM SABER (Damage 10, Penetrating, Enhanced Parry 2, gain Enhanced Advantage: Attractive) etc, to your basic Blast. By default, Variable is a standard action to use (so a standard action to switch), which is probably too slow for combat purposes. You can add +1 per rank of Variable to make the switch a move action. I don't know if you can make it faster.

As you can see, Variable gets expensive. Variable 7, with a move action switch, costs 56 points, a lot more than Blast 10, which only costs 20 points.

UN Basic Recipient

As you can see, Variable gets expensive. Variable 7, with a move action switch, costs 56 points, a lot more than Blast 10, which only costs 20 points.
    Yeah. I can see that, it's a shame because that sounds cool as all hell. I was thinking I'd probably just stick with a blast attack and use an array something like blast 10 with 5 ranks of penetrating or uh group damage or something and get the rest of the alternate effects with an array. I'm thinking of how I can alter my backstory to justify where I'm cutting it. What jumps out at me is that my base strength 12 seems incredibly high but idk it might be too important to cut.

OPA Belta

Well, the STR 12 is coming from the Servo Motors power which is already arrayed with the Force Beams. There's not a huge amount to gain by trimming it, and having the ability to lift a hundred tons on demand is really useful.

The places I'd focus if I were making cuts would be the Fighting rank, the Flight speed, the Sensors, and refining the ways it gets its to-hit. The Comm System in particular could stand to be purchased as Equipment instead of as a Device. Lastly, while it's somewhat less than glamourous to be vulnerable to small arms fire, the Impervious is 11PP ripe for the harvesting.
    If you wanted to alter the concept, making him a "user" instead of a "maker" would allow you to decrease the Intellect, Technology and related Advantages.

UN Basic Recipient

Well, the STR 12 is coming from the Servo Motors power which is already arrayed with the Force Beams.
    Really? I thought that that was 12 base strength with an enhanced trait of 12 STR for a total of 24 STR from the servo motors? If thats not the case I might be paying for them twice. I think I may make it so that my character inherited the suit and I'll drop some of his other stats and stuff accordingly. Its true that the pp from impervious is cuttable but there is something I dont like thematically about not being able to resist the small arms I feel like it messes with his "cool" factor too much and that seems pretty important in M&M to me XD.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Trick View Post
    Really? I thought that that was 12 base strength with an enhanced trait of 12 STR for a total of 24 STR from the servo motors?
    The layout for the Archetypes is pretty poor, but that 12 is from the Servos. Check out the Unarmed damage.

UN Basic Recipient

Dang I guess I'll have to come up with the points elsewhere, I noticed that the servo motors are already power array apparently and I'd like to add some more alternate effects and maybe make the servo motors a alternate effect of a stronger blast power. I'm thinking of going with either a couple ranks of penetrating added to it or group damage and for an alternate effect a "less lethal" version of the blast. Anybody have any ideas of useful alt effects for a blast power?

Penetrating is pretty much useless at PL 10. Anybody who has Impervious that can resist a damage rank 10 attack is probably not meant to fight a PL 10 character anyway.

Drop some of the science stuff and you easily have points for a few more effects added to the main offensive array.

Micro-missiles? Cone Damage 10, as another AE off the Servo Motors.

"Less lethal" is just thematic. By default, damage is pretty much not lethal-you Incapacitate targets through Damage, you don't kill them.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!