Thread: Instant Move Object (Ignore Cover/Barriers)

Instant Move Object (Ignore Cover/Barriers)

Ok, I have a question about a power that I'm constructing within the dynamic array. I'm trying to build a Move Object effect that captures the idea of instantly disassembling something at the molecular level and them reassembling it somewhere else in range. I believe I could buy the power at "instant duration, but I'm not sure how to deal with the fact that physical/energy barriers can still get in the way of "reassembling" it. Is there a way to increase the cost of the power in order to avoid this problem.

I even thought about it from a different angle...almost like a teleport effect that only affects other things, but that did not seem right.

OPA Belta

Re: Instant Move Object (Ignore Cover/Barriers)

Like I posted in the OOC thread, Teleport Attack?

I can't really say much more without knowing why Teleport didn't seem right to you, since that seems to be exactly what you're describing occurring.

I guess it just seemed a little more confusing at first. Let me try my hand at it:

Teleport 10 [Ranged, Standard Action, Affects Only Others, Increased Mass 10 (25 tons)]

Assuming this is the correct syntax, I'm curious about the cost.

Does taking the RANGE from "rank" down to "ranged" give me a point discount?

Also, increasing it from a Move Action to a Standard Action should give me a point discount too.

What would be a reasonable cost given these extras and Flaws?

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Supernaturalist View Post
    I guess it just seemed a little more confusing at first. Let me try my hand at it:

Teleport 10 [Ranged, Standard Action, Affects Only Others, Increased Mass 10 (25 tons)]

Assuming this is the correct syntax, I'm curious about the cost.

Does taking the RANGE from "rank" down to "ranged" give me a point discount?

Also, increasing it from a Move Action to a Standard Action should give me a point discount too.

What would be a reasonable cost given these extras and Flaws?
    In this example, Teleport has "two" ranges. One for how far away an object can be before you can't zap it, and the second (the rank) is how far you can Teleport the object.

Wouldn't Teleport Attack default to standard? I wish I knew the answer to that one. I consulted Powers Profile and found this:

Apport: Teleport Attack 2 points per rank (this is Close ranged, as in you need to touch the object, and they specifically said you could buy Ranged on this, presumably for the usual +1 per rank). Unfortunately they didn't specify the action.

According to core you can change the action with the Action modifier... I guess it should be a move action, because you're manipulating an object, but should be standard if you're using it to attack a person, or take an object from a person, etc.

For discounts... do you want to be able to move people too, or just objects? You could take Affects Only Objects if you only want to be able to teleport an astronaut's helmet off (Also, do you really need to be able to teleport 25 tons? That is a lot of material.)

For discounts... do you want to be able to move people too, or just objects? You could take Affects Only Objects if you only want to be able to teleport an astronaut's helmet off (Also, do you really need to be able to teleport 25 tons? That is a lot of material.)
    Well, I was thinking that since it's really a Move Object type power in my mind, I could use it to "catch" falling objects (some potentially large) and safely "move" them gently to a new location via "reassembling" them. Let's as a bus or car drives off a bridge or a police helicopter is plummeting to the ground. It's always nice to be able handle all that mass. Yeah, it might be a little overkill, but better safe than sorry.

OPA Belta

Sounds to me like you're looking for Teleport N, Attack, Increased Range, Change Velocity, Change Direction, Increased Mass M.
    This comes out to 3N+2+M PP, and allows you to spend a standard action to make a to-hit roll against a target. If you hit, the target makes a saving throw1 and if they fail are teleported up to distance rank N according to your whim. The attack fails if the target's mass rank is above M. If you're looking for just inanimate objects, that's easily worth a Limited to cut the cost down.

1: Hint, make the save something like Dodge that inanimate objects don't have so it always works on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Sounds to me like you're looking for Teleport N, Attack, Increased Range, Change Velocity, Change Direction, Increased Mass M.
    This comes out to 3N+2+M PP, and allows you to spend a standard action to make a to-hit roll against a target. If you hit, the target makes a saving throw1 and if they fail are teleported up to distance rank N according to your whim. The attack fails if the target's mass rank is above M. If you're looking for just inanimate objects, that's easily worth a Limited to cut the cost down.

1: Hint, make the save something like Dodge that inanimate objects don't have so it always works on them.
    Yup...I like your idea. I'll use it.

Protomolecule Host

I think you could make many of the ranks Limited to Extending Range... if you only target objects, they don't normally get saves anyway. (Robots and the like would get saves, though, and I presume vehicles filled with hostiles.)