Thread: Summoner

UN Basic Recipient

Summoner

I have a player who wants to be able to summon video game characters and have the ability to control them with a gamepad but I can't find a good way to make it. He can only summon 1 at a time and if he tries to summon more the previous summon disappear. I also made a restriction that he only has 5 summons to chose from. I just don't know how it would look on paper.

Re: Summoner

This is a pretty textbook Summon effect. Buy as many ranks as you need to summon the most expensive character. Add the Controlled, probably Heroic (allows them both a Move and a Standard, and they don't die as easily), and Variable Type (General) and that pretty much does exactly what you want. It requires a Move action to direct the summon (manipulate the gamepad), but they keep doing that task until directed otherwise.

If he needs the gamepad to be able to control them, you might also make your summon Easy to Lose or Hard to Lose (depending on if he can be disarmed in combat).

With a restriction of only 5 different summons, you don't even need the Variable Type extra. Instead, build the power as an array, with a separate Summon effect in each alternate slot.
    In actual gaming, 5 different creatures are usually more than sufficient, and in a pinch you can always summon something different as a power stunt.

UN Basic Recipient

Thanks for the tips. If all it takes is a variable modifier then I will probably unrestrict the summon limit. The issue is that each summon needs it's own seperate sheet and I'm unfortunately doing all the work this time around.

UN Basic Recipient

No I actually like Bothrop's idea. Write out the five different summons, make the most point costly one a summon effect and then each of the other four will be a 1 point alternate effect.