Thread: PL 6 Teleport Array

UN Basic Recipient

PL 6 Teleport Array

tl;dr PL 6 teleport array with group teleport, peep-hole, and night crawler like attacks.

I havenít played MnM in 10 years, and that was 2e. Weíre just starting and doing PL6 to start, and Iím trying to help a new player build his character. He wants to be a rogue MI6 agent with teleport powers. He especially wants to be able to teleport the team short distances, use peephole to see where heís going, and use teleport to improve his melee martial arts. We have the deluxe handbook and powers book.

Please help! And could you help explain the math of how you built that power array, too?

Thanks!

Protomolecule Host

Re: PL 6 Teleport Array

Quote Originally Posted by Styrix View Post
    tl;dr PL 6 teleport array with group teleport, peep-hole, and night crawler like attacks.

I haven’t played MnM in 10 years, and that was 2e. We’re just starting and doing PL6 to start, and I’m trying to help a new player build his character. He wants to be a rogue MI6 agent with teleport powers. He especially wants to be able to teleport the team short distances, use peephole to see where he’s going, and use teleport to improve his melee martial arts. We have the deluxe handbook and powers book.

Please help! And could you help explain the math of how you built that power array, too?

Thanks!
    Advantages: Agile Feint, Move-by Action. This costs 2 points.

Teleport Array: 33 points
    Remote Senses 8 (Auditory, Visual; 1 mile), Simultaneous * 32 points
    *AE: Teleport 8 (one mile), Change Direction, Increased Mass: 5 (1,600 pounds, more than enough for five typical-sized allies), Turnabout * 23 points (1 point)

Feature: MI6 Guy can use his Teleport rank with his Agile Feint advantage. * 1 point

The most expensive power there is Remote Senses. I picture MI6 Guy creating a mini-portal, so any ranged sense works. Really Scent should work too, but it's technically Close range.

Cost: Remote Senses costs 1-5 points per rank. 1 point per sense type, but Visual costs twice as much. Visual costs 2 per rank, Auditory costs 1 per rank, and Simultaneous costs 1 per rank (32 points so far). Simultaneous because he's just looking through a portal, which doesn't really interfere with his senses.

Because he's opening a mini-portal, it should allow light and sound to travel both ways, which could reveal him and let him communicate through it, and potentially allow attacks through it both ways, but that's getting complicated, plus being unable to use this ability stealthily would limit its effectiveness. Making it a portal (as defined in game terms) is also making things messy.

He only has one Alternate Effect, so take the most expensive power (Remote Sensing) and increase the cost by 1 point per Alternate Effect (just 1 point in this case) to get the cost of the entire array.

Teleport: I gave it 8 ranks to reach 1 mile, since you said it's short-ranged. Adjust to taste. I think it should have the same range as the Remote Sensing power since it's an aspect of the same power. Teleport costs 2 points per rank, so the base cost is 16. There were no +x/rank Extras on this one.

I added 1 for each of the two "feats", Change Direction (because otherwise it would be lame for combat purposes) and Turnabout (which basically lets you add Move-by Action to Teleport). Increase Mass costs 1 per rank of Increased Mass, equal to the Mass value of extra material that can be Teleported. A character with Strength 5 could lift 1,600 pounds over their head, so MI6 Guy can teleport that much material. That's a total of 7 extra points, so now it costs 23. This is less than the cost of Remote Sensing, so that's okay. It only costs MI6 Guy one point.

Re: PL 6 Teleport Array

Kimera has some good basics, so I will just add on to what they said.

I would assume you'd want an Array with a total of 4 slots:
    - Group Teleport
    - Self Teleport
    - "Peephole"
    - Combat Teleport

Kimera's Group Teleport is good, although I feel it has too much in it and would be better split into Group and Solo Teleport, like so

Group Jump: Teleport 8, Increased Mass 5 = (8x2) + 5 = 21p
    Solo Jump: Teleport 8, Change Direction/Velocity 2 = (8x2) + 2 = 18p

This makes the Group Teleport slightly simpler and cheaper and allows the Solo Teleport to be more precise for dynamic situations. Noe that while Turnabout is handy, there's nothing in the book that says the Move-by Action Advantage can't do everything Turnabout does, so you don't really need both. Some GMs may interpret this differently, YMMV.

Similarly, Agile Feint technically works for any movement speed rank: one could get into semantics whether moving by teleporting is actually "speed", but erring on the side of cool I think Agile Feint should apply to Teleport so as to allow all the expected trickstery things you could do with it. Therefore, I don't think you need a Feature to use it that way, but as above, YMMV.

If you want the "peephole" to ONLY check your 'port destination for safety, you could just add the Accurate Extra to Teleport and say the 'peep' is the descriptor for that aspect; it wouldn't even need its own slot. Otherwise, Kimera's build is good, although I would not use Simultaneous: mechanically, that extra removes the Distracting/Vulnerable condition that is the default when using Remote Sensing, and I say it's more interesting to keep that default so the character must be careful when "peeping" in combat or other situations where they need to defend.

Peephole: Remote Senses 8 (Auditory, Visual; 1 mile) = 8x3 = 24p

Remote Sensing also has a built-in way for the observed subjects to sense they are being observed with an Insight Check at rank (DC18 in this case). If you wanted to communicate through it consistently I would either make that a Linked Communication Effect Limited to the Remote Sensing target or just make a Custom Extra. Attacking through it and other things can be problematic, so I'd recommend dealing with those as either Complications or Hero Point usage.

Finally, the Combat Teleport a la Nightcrawler. The easiest way to do this is with Selective Burst Area Damage. This can simulate hits on several different but specific targets, and the hits can be considered martial art strikes or 'port drops or tricking targets into hitting each other, etc. In a PL6 game with an agent level PC, one would expect their STR to be about 2-3 tops, so even with power attacks that would be equal to 4-6 ranks. With Peephole at 24p, you could make up to a 24p combat 'port, which could be:

Selective Burst Area 2 Damage 6 ranks = 6x4 = 24

for a 60' radius and a very powerful (for a human) punch, or

Selective Burst Area 4 Damage 4 ranks = 4x6 = 24

for a 250' radius and a still-quite-solid human punch.

Targets would still get a Dodge save for half effect like any Area Attack, but essentially the attacks would always need to be resisted by Toughness. Successful resistances could be considered misses, especially if the target had Defensive Roll.

Technically with Close Range Area Attacks the attacker would be at the middle of the burst. Of course, since it's Selective, they could hit any target(s) within that radius and end the attack back at centre with a Move Action remaining. Mechanically, they could use that Move Action to teleport to another position, but narratively you could just say they teleported however they needed to in order to reach the last spot.

Other variants - Long Distance: Swap 1 Area rank for the Ranged Extra. Hit a clump of enemies way in the distance and 'port back to where you started all in one Standard Action. (This is functionally similar to Turnabout, but does not require that extra.) To be somewhere else at the end of the turn, use your Move action as described above.

Pushing to the Limits!: this kind of attack shouldn't be too easy to perform too often or it gets boring. Add the Tiring Flaw so the PC is careful to keep it in reserve until it's really needed. With those saved points you could add another rank of Damage to make it slightly better at knocking down goons.

Plain ol' Takedown: if your targets are all minions, it would be easiest to knock them all down with Takedown instead of using 1p on your Array Alternates. Takedown 2 would actually make sense for a Teleporting character, but I maintain that NO character actually needs TD2; they can have TD1 and use a Hero Point to take a Heroic Feat to up it to TD2 when needed. High-speed multiple takedowns should be possible for a superhero, but not too easy or common, IMHO.

So that works out to an Array with a 24p pool and 3 AEs for 27p total cost, leaving you plenty of points to flesh out an MI6 agent.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!