Thread: Metahuman Classification

UN Basic Recipient

Metahuman Classification

I made a simple classification system to use in my Paragons setting. I would like to hear your ideas on the subject. I used the word "nova" for superhuman while writing this.

Z-Class: These are the least powerful of all novas. They have only one minor, irrelevant power, like flying at speeds lower than 40 km per hour or telekinesis that can lift only few kilograms of mass.They do not pose a threat any more than an armed baseline human does and can be subdued by armed forces easily.

D -Class: These novas have one power or few powers of low level. They can be a threat to society but they can be taken down by standart military units.

D-class novas can lift up to 10 tons,resist gunshots for a limited time, reach speeds up to 500 mph and have the firepower of a rocket launcher. A nova who can teleport to anywhere in the world but a normal human otherwise would count as D-class too.

Comic book examples: Cyclops from X-Men.

C-Class:
    Few powers of moderate level defines C-class novas. Only military units with special equipment and armored vechiles can stop novas of this power level, also collateral damage is nearly certain in such a battle. They are called capes in slang, since they are at the same power level as most comic book heroes.

C-Class novas can lift up to 100 tons of weight (weight of a Boeing 767), stand unaffected by gunfire, have the firepower of a tank cannon and move at speeds up to 1000 mph.

Comic book examples: Luke Cage.

B-Class: Novas with high level powers and usually some versatility are called beta class. Versatile but not powerful abilities like shapeshifting into human or animal forms, transforming matter on a small scale also qualify for B-class. They too are often called capes.

B-Class novas can lift up to 1000 tons of weight (weight of a small bridge), withstand tank cannons, have the firepower of a battleship cannon and move at speeds up to 5000 mph.

Comic book examples: Colossus from X-Men.Iron Man with standart armor.

A-Class:
    These novas have very high level powers . They can affect large areas. They excel in their fields and might have diverse powers. Novas with only one but a very versatile ability like shapeshifting, precognition, transforming tons of matter or mimicking the powers of other novas for a long time are also in this category. There are only few dozen novas of this level in the world. They are called alphas, since they are the dominant class of novas, with the exception of epics.

They can lift up to 10000 tons (weight of a cruiser ship) move at at speeds up to 10.000 mph and withstand shots from battleship cannons.

Comic book examples: Thor. He is extremely strong and durable. He can call lightning bolts and control weather.

Epic Class: They have powers at incredible levels. It is more logical to determine lower limits of their power than upper limit. They can affect immense areas. The diversity of their powers allows them to fulfill more than one niche. Unlimited shapeshifting, ability to totally mimic other novas’ powers indefinitely, transforming hundreds of tons of matter can be seen among epic novas.

Comic book examples: Superman with his physical might, agility, flight, laser beams, incredible senses and superhuman intelligence.

Silver Surfer has durability of highest order, can boost his strength to incalculable levels, hit targets in orbit from earth, project and absorb every kind of energy, transform literally mountains of matter, heal people, fly at faster than light speeds, detect matter and energy from light years away…

I divided power level into five division in 2e game terms too. Speed powers do not correlate with this ranks, they are exception.

Low-Level Power: 8-9 rank or ability modifier
    Moderate Power:10-12 rank or ability modifier
    High-Level Power: 13-14 rank or ability modifier
    Very High-Level Power: 15-17 rank or ability modifier
    Epic-Level Power: 18+ rank or ability modifier
    Last edited by Harnos; 10-05-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Re: Metahuman Classification

Interesting stuff. Though if you're going by letters, perhaps Z-class would be best for the lowest level?

How would your power levels classify ranks and effects affected by modifiers?

For example, someone with blast 10 would seem to have a Moderate power. But if they use Power Attack for +5/-5, then they're operating at the Very High Power level. Conversely, if they use Accurate Attack, they're below Low-level. Critical hits would further skew these rankings.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Eld View Post
    Interesting stuff. Though if you're going by letters, perhaps Z-class would be best for the lowest level?

How would your power levels classify ranks and effects affected by modifiers?

For example, someone with blast 10 would seem to have a Moderate power. But if they use Power Attack for +5/-5, then they're operating at the Very High Power level. Conversely, if they use Accurate Attack, they're below Low-level. Critical hits would further skew these rankings.
    Z-Class is a good idea. Thanks for that. That must have escaped me somehow

Guess I should also add overall power levels for this classes.

About feats that change effect ranks , while GM'ing, I think and describe them as attack options rather than change on raw power. For example a standart unarmed attack is a fist on chest, a power attack is a fist on face or a high kick. It doesn't mean base strength of the attacker changes, jsut the way he use it.

Some power modifiers that change the effectiveness of the powers radically have been mentioned in the link below, I also take them into account.

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=31064

UN Basic Recipient

I find myself wondering how soft powers like super-intelligence are worked into your rating system. You list Mr. Fantastic fairly low in the rankings, but this is a man whose inventions can interact with, manipulate, and even determine basic cosmological constants and forces. Just the fact that he invented reliable travel between alternate earths to the point where he became a nearly all-powerful conspiracy by himself (by joining up with alternate versions of himself) might seem to classify him as epic.

Also, your description of Z-Class brought to mind a character from JMS's Rising Stars. She was a telekinetic who could only affect objects of maybe an inch or two in size, probably much less. Everyone thought her power was useless, until the CIA recruited her ~ the carotid isn't all that large, after all.

That's not to say that your classification system is bad or wrong, but rather I'm saying that it calls out to my brain for challenging the idea of powers being weaker or stronger is useful to be at least a side-theme of the setting.
    either e/em/eir pronouns or fey/fem/fear pronouns
    {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}
    Many gods, no masters. Re-enchantment or bust!
    "So I donít even want to hear about reality. I donít want reality. Reality will only ever be exclusionary." --Aevee Bee, "Toward a Cutie Aesthetic"

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkheart View Post
    I find myself wondering how soft powers like super-intelligence are worked into your rating system. You list Mr. Fantastic fairly low in the rankings, but this is a man whose inventions can interact with, manipulate, and even determine basic cosmological constants and forces. Just the fact that he invented reliable travel between alternate earths to the point where he became a nearly all-powerful conspiracy by himself (by joining up with alternate versions of himself) might seem to classify him as epic.

Also, your description of Z-Class brought to mind a character from JMS's Rising Stars. She was a telekinetic who could only affect objects of maybe an inch or two in size, probably much less. Everyone thought her power was useless, until the CIA recruited her ~ the carotid isn't all that large, after all.

That's not to say that your classification system is bad or wrong, but rather I'm saying that it calls out to my brain for challenging the idea of powers being weaker or stronger is useful to be at least a side-theme of the setting.

I focused solely on his elastic body and totally ignored his genius, my bad. Thank you for pointing that out. I guess I would classify hyperminds as C-Class or higher, depending on the each metahuman's capabilities. I also like the world-changing side of super-intelligence. Aberrant RPG is a great example on that.

I agree that some minor powers could be relevant in certain situations. But the overall idea is that some metahumans win the super-power lottery while others need to be creative to make effective use of their powers. A surgeon with minor but precise telekinesis might be really good at his job, but he can hardly rival Silver Surfer on earth-shaking deeds.