Thread: Vehicle Costs

Protomolecule Host

Vehicle Costs

So, I've been trying to do the math on the Equipment Point Cost for default vehicles in the Hero's Handbook recently. The point costs don't seem to line up at all with the vehicle rules.

The motorcycle for instance has a size of medium which costs nothing and gives it 5 toughness. The other stats are str 1, speed 6, def 10, tgh 8. By my calculation, after subtracting 5 from the toughness cost, this should come out to a total cost of 20. The book has it at 10. So I thought maybe it says divide by two somewhere and I missed it. But I don't see that stated anywhere.

Then the car. With 1 point for size, giving it effectively 10 free stats (not counting the 1 pt paid for the size adjustment, after which the free stats are effectively 9), and 17 additional stats, the total cost should be 17. But again it's 10.

The Space Shuttle should cost 23 but instead costs 28. I haven't done the math on everything else, but it seems all of them just have arbitrary costs totally unrelated to the stat values. Am I doing this wrong?

Re: Vehicle Costs

It's a notation thing in some cases. The defense of the motorcycle is 10. The bonus is 0. After that, the points come out right.

The car should cost 8, not 10 (1 point for size, 1 point for Strength, 1 point for Toughness, 5 points for speed) (it's noted as errata but was not correct until a recent paper release).

The shuttle is correct at 28. 4 points for size, 24 points for Flight 12.

Protomolecule Host

Ah, the Shuttle makes sense now. I did that one wrong.

To clarify, the defense scores listed then include the base 10 defense, and are not in addition too?

Correct. By themselves, vehicles have no bonus to dodging (although they are not considered stationary objects when being operated, so it's not necessarily a gimme to hit them).

Protomolecule Host

Cool! Thanks, this makes so much more sense now!