Thread: Force Fields - Large Area and Group

Protomolecule Host

Force Fields - Large Area and Group

Hello All:

I have usually created characters that had "force fields" with the Create power as I wanted to be able to create a large solid dome for the entire party.

Now, I am creating a character who, thematically should not create a completely solid barrier, so I'm going to use Protection. I am still playing with giving the character the ability to grant the force field's bonus to nearby party members. I haven't seen anyone use the Protection power as the basis of a shared force field.

1) Affects Others would allow any friends I grant the power to, to move about freely after I grant the force field right?

2) What do you think about replacing "+1 Affects Others" with "+1 Area" to create a large bubble of Protection, (5' radius/rank) that is not solid? Here, friends would have to stay with in the bubble to have its benefits, but I don't have to spend points on how many "Others" I want to include, and I don't have to go around tapping them all, or explaining how I give force fields with a touch

Thanks as always for the help.
    ManDrake

Protomolecule Host

Re: Force Fields - Large Area and Group

Quote Originally Posted by Man Drake View Post
    Hello All:

I have usually created characters that had "force fields" with the Create power as I wanted to be able to create a large solid dome for the entire party.

Now, I am creating a character who, thematically should not create a completely solid barrier, so I'm going to use Protection. I am still playing with giving the character the ability to grant the force field's bonus to nearby party members. I haven't seen anyone use the Protection power as the basis of a shared force field.

1) Affects Others would allow any friends I grant the power to, to move about freely after I grant the force field right?
    Yes, I believe so, since the duration is Sustained. You could put a Limit on it though if you want the allies to stay close to you. But note that PCs usually buy up their Toughness to their cap anyway, so in practice your Force Field power is more of a "help NPCs" power than a "help PCs" power. You could instead grant Close Area Immunity X, Limited to Half Effect, or AoE make Protection Impervious, etc.

2) What do you think about replacing "+1 Affects Others" with "+1 Area" to create a large bubble of Protection, (5' radius/rank) that is not solid? Here, friends would have to stay with in the bubble to have its benefits, but I don't have to spend points on how many "Others" I want to include, and I don't have to go around tapping them all, or explaining how I give force fields with a touch
    By default this would be 30 feet, increase or decrease with "feats" or flaws. So not 5 feet per rank. I think that works; you would not need to "touch" them. Note that you would want to make it Selective, otherwise it applies to hostile NPCs as well!

OPA Belta

Correct, they could move about freely within your range. However, there should probably still be reasonable limits to their movement in order to maintain the effect, depending on the nature of the power. As a GM, even presuming the "Perception Range" extra were added, I'd probably grant a psychic who was maintaining the power more leeway with that than someone who was projecting the force field from an electronic device they'd built.

You would need both the "Affects Others" extra and the "Burst Area" extra to achieve this, with the default, static size being a sphere of 30' radius. Anyone who could crowd into that area would be protected, along with all inanimate objects in range as well.

Now, while there are RAW methods of increasing the shield's area (just buy more ranks of Burst Area,) there are none for reducing the area. That said, personally, I'd rule that if you also had the "Selective" extra, you could just shrink the radius to whatever you liked, even though technically the extra only lets you specify individual targets within your area.

In total, "Affects Others," "Burst Area" and "Selective" will add an extra +3pp/rank to the cost of your power, which might be prohibitive. Optionally, instead of buying both "Burst Area" and "Selective", you could just buy "Shapeable Area," which somewhat combines the benefits of both extras, but with a greatly reduced overall area of coverage (which is what you seem to be looking for anyway.)

If the power has a large number of ranks, you could even piece together a "poor man's force bubble" with just "Affects Others", "Reach" and "Split." Of course, this will have extra limitations, including a weakened effect for each additional person targeted.
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes and Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Correct, they could move about freely within your range. However, there should probably still be reasonable limits to their movement in order to maintain the effect, depending on the nature of the power. As a GM, even presuming the "Perception Range" extra were added, I'd probably grant a psychic who was maintaining the power more leeway with that than someone who was projecting the force field from an electronic device they'd built.
    I've looked at Affects Others since this post and there is no concept of "Range" involved, except that by RAW, you have to touch someone to grant a Personal range power. After that, the modifier does not mention any limitation on movement.

Technically, we are not allowed to add the "Affects Others" modifier to a Ranged Power. I get why this is so, but at the same time, I would tend to allow it on a case by case basis. As a default though, even though the Power granted might be Ranged, I'd still require a touch to grant it, unless another Ranged modifier were bought to make the grant possible at range. Not sure how expensive this second "ranged" should be, perhaps only a Flat +1?

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    You would need both the "Affects Others" extra and the "Burst Area" extra to achieve this, with the default, static size being a sphere of 30' radius. Anyone who could crowd into that area would be protected, along with all inanimate objects in range as well.
    Technically, I believe, that even if it does not say so, "Area" was meant only for (harmful) Instant effects, so we are probably in home brew territory here.

That said, If we allow it on helpful Sustained effects, the modifier says it fills an area with an effect. To me that means that a dome of Protection protects those in the dome, while they are in the dome.

To me, If I buy "Affects Others" AND "Area" then when I touch some one, they get their own bubble that grants Protection to still other people I have not touched. That, or I create a dome that grants Personal Protection to those who walk through, even after they leave. (probably limited by me spending points the way "Affects Others" normally requires)

Otherwise, there would be no point in allowing the "Area" modifier separately, or buying them together as it is expensive AND would restrict movement relative to just buying "Affects Others" by itself.

When I quoted the size of the bubble as 5' radius/rank I was remembering Second Edition rules. My bad.

Remember that I am NOT trying to have solid bubbles, or spend lots of actions to go around touching everyone.