Thread: First attempt at original concept character (Lyta)

UN Basic Recipient

First attempt at original concept character (Lyta)

Name: Lyta (Light-a)
    Identity: Cynthia Guzman
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 155
    Eyes: Brown
    Hair: Brown
    Group Affiliation: Quo-re Tam
    Base of Operations: Wright Park Homeless Shelter (under overpass) or Quo-re Tam settlement in Quo-re
    Power Level: 10
    Power Points Total: 150

Abilities

Str: 4
    Agl: 6
    Fgt: 6
    Awa: 5
    Sta: 6
    Dex: 3
    Int: -2
    Pre: -2

Defense

Dodge: 6
    Parry: 6
    Fortitude: 10
    Toughness: 14
    Will: 5

Offense
    Warped Ax +10 close Damage 10
    Gravitic Blast +7 Close Damage 8
    Gravity Snare +8 Ranged Dex save Cumulative

Powers

Senses: Danger sense (hearing), Direction sense, Distance sense (3 pp total)

Warped Axe (21 total)
    -Damage 6 ranks (6 pp)
    -Accurate 1 ranks for + 2 (1 pp)
    -Penetrating 4 ranks (4 pp)
    -Gravity Snare 8 ranks (24 pp)
    - Flaw: Tiring (-8)
    -Gravitic Blast 8 ranks (16 pp)
    - Flaw: Tiring (-8)
    - Easily Removable (-14 pp)

Gravitic Boots (14 pp)
    - speed 3 ranks (3 pp)
    - Leaping 4 ranks (4 pp)
    - Environment: Gravity manipulation double or halve (+- 5 circumstance bonus to acrobatics and athletics) (4 ranks)
    - immunity: Gravitic (2 pp)
    --Sustained immunity
    -Removable (-3 pp)

Warped Hide (7 pp total)
    -Protection 8 ranks
    - removable (-1)

Warped Bracer (16 pp total)
    -Movement: Dimensional 1 rank (2 pp)
    --Can only move between this world and Quo-re
    ---Quo-re is chaotic and has wild gravity shifts. Animal life is hostile.
    --Increased mass rank 5 (5 pp)
    -Movement: Permeate 3 ranks (6 pp)
    -Teleport: 3 ranks (6 pp)
    --increased mass 4 ranks (4 pp)
    --change direction (1 pp)
    -Easily Removable (-8 pp)

Advantages
    All-Out Attack
    Improved critical (Warped Ax) 4 ranks
    Move-by Action
    Power Attack
    Tracking
    Extraordinary Effort
    Favored Environment (Quo-re)

Complications
    Illiterate
    Enochlophobia (Fear of crowds)
    Simple speech only
    No documentation (job, citizenship, etc...)
    Parents dead?
    Raised by tribe

Equipment
    Homeless

Skills (total, ability, ranks, other)
    Acrobatics (12,6,6,0)
    Athletics (14,4,10,0)
    Close-Combat (Ax) (10,6,2,2)
    Close-Combat (Unarmed) (8,6,2,0)
    Deception (-2,-2,0,0)
    Expertise (none) (x,-2,0,0)
    Insight (9,5,4,0)
    Intimidation (2,-2,4,0)
    Investigation (x,-2,0,0)
    Perception (13,5,8,0)
    Persuasion (-2,-2,0,0)
    Ranged Combat (Gravitic) (7,3,4,0)
    Sleight of hand (x,3,0,0)
    Stealth (12, 6, 6,0)
    Technology (x,-2,0,0)
    Treatment (4,-2,6,0)
    Vehicles (x,3,0,0)

This was my third character. The first two were based upon other characters I had read about, so I decided that number three should explore the flexibility and creativity of the system. So I created Lyta.

Lyta was five when her parents took he to the opening of an experimental device meant to warp space-time in order to allow instantaneous travel. An explosion results in the entire facility being evacuated. However Cynthia was fascinated by the pretty lights of the machine. Her parents rush in to rescue her as another explosion sends Cynthia off the platform. Unable to hold on, she falls through the portal and disappears. Meanwhile the facility explodes and her parents are never seen again.

Cynthia finds herself in Quo-re. A chaotic world where gravity eddies cause the land to experience rapid changes in gravitational strength with some areas having .1 g and others 5g. Some of the Fauna have also adapted to not just live in these eddies, but to control them. After managing to survive on her own for two days, she runs across hunters from the nomadic tribe Quo-re Tam (people of Quo-re). They take her in, raise her to be one of them.

When she finally comes of age, she picks her tribal name of Lyta Wold Tam. She is given the weapons of the Quo-re Tam, made from the animals that populate the region. Each weapon is gifted with the abilities of the animal its made from. In addition, Lyta makes a bracer from some scrap leather and technology that came in with her. The energies of the leather mixed with the technology and allowed her to accidentally travel back to her world. Realizing the importance of this, she uses her bracer to help her fighting and hunting style. She used it to seemingly teleport behind prey and hit it when it wasn't looking. She could also drag creatures, resources, and stolen goods from her now alien homeworld. However, she is terrified of people, having never been in a place with more than 100 at a time for as long as she can remember.

Her purpose was to be an extremely mobile bruiser. Fast enough to keep up with most people and tough enough to resist most damage. What she has in attack, she lacks in practical life skills. Being completely incapable of basic tasks in the modern world, and terrified of the large groups people congregate in, she is unable to do anything but scavenge and later, fight. With her extended critical and very powerful attacks, she would be able to hold her own in a fight. I kept up with a theme of gravitational manipulation and dimensional travel for all of her abilities.

Quo-re is a large, open land. Some areas have hyper gravity while others have little to no gravity at all. As such, Quo-re isn't so much a planet as a collection of large landmasses that float in proximity to one another. The weather is chaotic as the gravity fluxes cause storms to form rapidly and churn wildly. Sometimes a storm might form a stable cloud that simply shoots off lightning at any landmass that get close enough. The land is reminicent of Jungle and Temperate forest depending on the landmass the tribe is on. Most of the native fauna and flora have some level of gravity manipulation ability thanks to evolutionary pressures. The Tam are nomadic and hearty. They have multiple loosely related tribes with numbers varying from 100 - 300 per tribe. Lyta belongs to the Wold Tam tribe which is somewhat smaller. Each tribe makes use of the flora and fauna to make weapons and gear for dealing with the gravitational fluctuations. The area where Lyta first appears is particularly chaotic. The accident has made the area shear into small boulders due to shear stresses of the gravitational flux.

Once again, I would love feedback.

OPA Belta

Re: First attempt at original concept character (Lyta)

Overall better in my opinion than The Silhouette. The concept is more interesting to me, the mechanics fit to the character well and she should actually function in combat.

My main issue would be that I can't figure out the character's intended role in a game. She doesn't have any stated motivation that would make her a hero, she doesn't read as a villain. Is she intended as a setting-flavor NPC? That's about all I can think of.

Badly below Fort/Will cap. Meets Dodge/Parry/Toughness cap and Axe attack cap though, which is good.
    Has Close Damage, Ranged Damage, and Snare. None of these can't be used together and none are Alternate Effects, so she's wasting PP.
    Has Speed, Leaping, Permeate, Teleport. Many of these can't be used together and aren't Alternate Effects, so she's wasting PP.
    Removable and Easily Removable have frequent miscalculations. Remember, the discount is per 5PP or part thereof. Warped Skin, for example, should be getting -2 from Removable.

You've done better than I'd expect for somebody's third character, I could easily see her being in a campaign with just a touch of work.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: First attempt at original concept character (Lyta)

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Overall better in my opinion than The Silhouette. The concept is more interesting to me, the mechanics fit to the character well and she should actually function in combat.

My main issue would be that I can't figure out the character's intended role in a game. She doesn't have any stated motivation that would make her a hero, she doesn't read as a villain. Is she intended as a setting-flavor NPC? That's about all I can think of.

Badly below Fort/Will cap. Meets Dodge/Parry/Toughness cap and Axe attack cap though, which is good.
    Has Close Damage, Ranged Damage, and Snare. None of these can't be used together and none are Alternate Effects, so she's wasting PP.
    Has Speed, Leaping, Permeate, Teleport. Many of these can't be used together and aren't Alternate Effects, so she's wasting PP.
    Removable and Easily Removable have frequent miscalculations. Remember, the discount is per 5PP or part thereof. Warped Skin, for example, should be getting -2 from Removable.

You've done better than I'd expect for somebody's third character, I could easily see her being in a campaign with just a touch of work.
    I had to re-read the Alternate effect power. When I first skimmed it, I thought it just altered types (fire or cold, poison or necrotic, etc...). After re-reading it, I clearly missed its power. Thanks for pointing that out. This character probably has another 20-30 pp to be reassigned. With that, I could easily max out fortitude (or increase toughness... if that weren't maxed out already). I have clearly been thinking about constructing heroes incorrectly. This also goes at the other issue you pointed out, namely the movement effects that don't work together. In my head, these were all related abilities. She uses gravity to ensnare people, holding them to the ground; she also uses it to blast people with intense shear forces. She uses the bracer to move from her world to ours, and the teleport effect was there to serve as the effect of her leaving our world, travelling through hers, and popping back in time to whack someone with an ax. Both of these are clearly alternate effects and should be treated as such. (As for Permeate... I am not sure why I put that there. Probably from an earlier draft.)

Going back to character, I can see why it might not be clear why she would be helping people. She comes to our worlds occasionally to scavenge, but really wouldn't have a reason to stay unless there was a story reason. A couple of options: One, her tribe might be low on some sort of resources or might be trapped in some dangerous gravity well. While she has no way to free them, it might occur to her that this world might. Two, there might be a clash of culture and her own desires. For example, she might be expected to participate in some marriage or dangerous challenge. She doesn't want to, so she ends up on the run from her newfound family. Three, the other PCs meet her in the middle of a scavenging or hunting trip. Because of the danger of her world at the part she would be traveling to, she is forced to stay temporarily. (examples: gravitic storm, a stable thunderstorm with hurricane winds, the land shifted and moving back would only land her in a void.) During this part, she finds herself embroiled in some mission with the other PCs. Perhaps she is enticed with some sort of barter (bonus for funny or weird. Who knows what is valuable to her). Once the character fights with the other PCs, she might form some sort of bond.

Finally, thanks for the complement. I am good at concept. I like coherent characters and so I am pretty good at making abilities work together. Everything else is math and familiarity with the system. I teach math, and I am learning the system.