Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition Revised: Week 3 - Advantages

OPA Belta

Re: Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition Revised: Week 3 - Advantages

Fast Grab may be less powerful than it was in 2e, but it's still basically a Cumulative Affliction with Limited Degree, Extra Condition, and some custom extra that forces the enemy to spend actions to attempt to overcome it. On top of whatever your unarmed was doing. For two PP. It's pretty stupid.
    If you don't believe me, run a few fights between two characters with 10s in STR, STA, FGT. Give one Fast Grab and Improved Grab. Come back and tell me what the win-rate difference was from just 2 PP of Advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendogeek01 View Post
    Maybe toughness isn't bought directly to avoid the fridge logic of why an ostensibly normal human could shrug off very lethal wounds?
    Well sure, but that leaves the fridge logic of why an ostensibly normal human can dodge lasers or shrug off very lethal poisons.

I... have only personally seen improved trip used once and it wasn't really to any game-breaking effect. Different experience with it I guess.
    It's not that bad, but it's head and shoulders above the other Improved Maneuvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    I don't know if I agree. I think Accurate and Close Combat/Ranged Combat only apply to very specific attack types. Can you just take Ranged Combat: Guns, or is it something more specific like Ranged Attack: Pistols?
    Doesn't matter, since the player can put Accurate on their powers or have exactly one type of attack. For example, Ranged Combat: Fire Control is all a pyrokinetic will need.
    It's a blatant case of concept superiority, where a poor concept makes you pay double, triple, or even quadruple for the same benefit. Guy with a weapon for every situation is a fun concept, but why does it have to pay double for to-hit compared to Magic-Laser-Eye Man?

OPA Belta

I forgot one:

I think Sidekick should have language that limits their point totals to "main character's total - point value of Sidekick advantage(s)". If you want a "sidekick" worth more than the "main" buy the sidekick as if they were your main character and have them take Sidekick for a weak "summoner" or whatever.

Ah, another one that came to mind, Improvised Weapon, specifically the first rank giving the Unarmed attack bonus. What good does that generally do? And why Unarmed? I'd like to make it optional, at least.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    Ah, another one that came to mind, Improvised Weapon, specifically the first rank giving the Unarmed attack bonus. What good does that generally do? And why Unarmed? I'd like to make it optional, at least.
    The first rank makes sense, it's basically an AE of your CC:Unarmed into CC:Improvised.
    Unarmed probably because that's the type of character who generally grabs the available objects to bludgeon with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    The first rank makes sense, it's basically an AE of your CC:Unarmed into CC:Improvised.
    Unarmed probably because that's the type of character who generally grabs the available objects to bludgeon with.
    {nods} I guess I tend to associate it with the kind of guy who grabs a pool cue, or a barstool, when the bar brawl starts, instead of doing fisticuffs. At the least, I say make the first rank's effect optional.

UN Basic Recipient

Artificer/Inventor/Ritualist
    (...)
    I modified this advantage too.

1) I allow more skills than just Technology and expertise (Magic).
    A character, for example, can take Inventor (Expertise: Chemistry), Artificer (Expertise: Alchemy), or Ritualist (Expertise: Religion) - for miracles -.
    The character can (and must) take the advantage separately for each skill.
    I also restrict the available powers for each skill with the rule of common sense : a chimist would never create a item with a teleportation effect.

2) The Amount of power points you can spend in the item/effect is limited by the lower of two values : the raw power level and the number of skill points in the relevant skill.
    (shortly put: for a PL10 character and +11 skill, no more than 10 points in the item)

3) I allow quickness when i feel it is consistent, even if it can be broken.
    however you cannot cumulate Quickness and the -5 circumstance penalty to reduce the time.