Thread: Question about the Powerhouse archetype

OPA Belta

Question about the Powerhouse archetype

I can't believe I never asked this, but a friend asked me and I couldn't find something definitive. My search through the forums didn't give me an easy answer. (It might have been answered, but I couldn't find it.)

In the Powerhouse archetype, there's an immunity block for 44 points. I'm wondering about the Immunity Fatigue item. Immunity from fatigue effects is 5 points (under Immunity). I can account for 43 points in the stat powers:

Enhanced Stamina: 20 pts.
    Impervious on Toughness: 12 pts.
    Immunity (Cold Damage): 5 pts.
    Immunity (Fire Damage): 5 pts.
    Immunity (pressure): 1 pt.

Which means that Immunity (fatigue) is 1 pt (or the math is wrong, but you guys would have caught that).

So clearly it's meant to be Immunity (fatigue) 1 pt.

Here's what I think it means: the player is immune to the fatigue condition, but not the other fatigued effects. So the Powerhouse can (for example) use Extra Effort with impunity because it only causes Fatigue...but if the Extra Effort is used with something else that causes Fatigue, the conditions stack and the character is exhausted. Or if an Affliction causes an exhausted condition, well, that affects the character. (On the other hand, because you remove the worse fatigue effect first, the character recovers faster than others: only two conditions to remove.)

Been a while since I played, so I might have something else wrong in my explanation.

Does that sound right to you?
    Some M&M stuff at my blog, Iconic Energy, but mostly ICONS

OPA Belta

Re: Question about the Powerhouse archetype

Infinite EE for one PP sounds absurdly broken, so no that doesn't sound right.
    I'd guess that it's a 1-point immunity to "normal" fatigue. He can run for hours without tiring, lift a thousand-ton train and carry it all day, etc.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    I'd guess that it's a 1-point immunity to "normal" fatigue. He can run for hours without tiring, lift a thousand-ton train and carry it all day, etc.
    I did think of that, and that could certainly be it; my interpretation would work better if it were Immunity (Fatigued), and it isn't: it's Immunity fatigue. Maybe I just want things to have a game effect.
    Some M&M stuff at my blog, Iconic Energy, but mostly ICONS

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    I would think total immunity to fatigue of all types would rule out being able to use extra effort the same way complete FORT immunity does.

1 PP for immunity to normal fatigue would be on par with other I PP immunity effects (heat/cold/poison/disease/etc.) 1 PP gets immunity from normal effects from that descriptor, 5 PP for immunity from damage with that descriptor and 10 PP to just completely ignore anything with that descriptor all together.

I'd call a 1 PP immunity to fatigue that covered basically being able to just keep going at your normal levels fair if it didn't cover use of extra effort or being hit specifically with other effects or damage with a fatigue descriptor attached to it. Conceptually, it is certainly within reason to see on a powerhouse build.

Edit: that level of fatigue immunity would be comparable to a 1 PP immunity from needing sleep, but it could also be that the author of that profile meant it as Immunity (sleep) and simply worded it poorly.
    Last edited by digitalangel; 07-07-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    My character library

OPA Belta

It's only immunity to fatigue effects that allows a saving throw. You don't get a save vs fatigue from extra effort so Immunity to fatigue doesn't help there.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    It's only immunity to fatigue effects that allows a saving throw. You don't get a save vs fatigue from extra effort so Immunity to fatigue doesn't help there.
    That kind of thing isn't applied consistently; there are immunities to phenomena that don't normally get a save already in immunities. Consider some of the environmental immunities.