Thread: HELP! Made this hero and not sure if it is legal/viable

Protomolecule Host

HELP! Made this hero and not sure if it is legal/viable

I am applying to a PL 10 M&M 3e game, which is focusing only on mutant heroes. There is one house rule, which is that skill points are given at a 1 for 3 basis rather than 1 for 2.

If you could take a quick look at him to see how viable he would be, that would be very much appreciated, as would any advice on how to make him better/more effective. I am hoping for Wolverine/Hulk mix that can take a shot and give as well as he gets.

Attributes
    • Strength: 9 (12)
    • Stamina: 11 (14)
    • Agility: 0
    • Dexterity: 0
    • Fighting: 0
    • Intellect: 0
    • Awareness: 6
    • Presence: -1

Defences
    • Dodge (AGI): 6
    • Parry (FGT): 6
    • Fortitude (STA): 14
    • Toughness (STA): 14
    • Will (AWE): 6
    • Initiative (AGI): 0

Melee: Attack +8, Damage 12, Close
    Throw: Attack +8, Damage 12, Ranged

Advantages
    • All Out Attack
    • Fast Grab
    • Fearless
    • Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2
    • Improved Grab
    • Improved Hold
    • Interpose
    • Languages 1
    • Move By Action
    • Power Attack
    • Takedown 2
    • Tracking

Skills
    • Athletics (STR): 1/13
    • Close Combat (Unarmed) (FIG): 8/8
    • Insight (AWA): 9/15
    • Intimidation: 16/15
    • Perception (AWA): 9/15
    • Ranged Combat (Thrown Objects) (DEX): 8/8
    • Stealth (AGI): 0/-3

Mutant Powers
    • Feature 1: Iron Stomach [1]
    • Growth 3 (Extra: Innate, Permanent, Does not change size) [7]
    • Immunity 6: Disease, Poison, Cold, Heat, High Pressure, Suffocation: Water [6]
    • Regeneration 10 (Extra: Regrowth) [11]
    • Senses 6: Scent: Acute, Accurate, Extended, Tracking 2 [5]
    • Senses 2: Visual: Extended, Infra-Vision, Low-Light Vision [3]
    • Senses 2: Hearing: Extended, Danger Sense [2]

Supernatural Strength Array
    • Burst Area Damage 10, (Limited: Both Wyld and targets must be in contact with the ground, Array) [10]
    • Burst Area Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed and Vulnerable, Stunned and Prone, Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Limited: Targets on the ground, Alternate Effect) [1]
    • Line Area Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed and Vulnerable, Prone and Stunned, Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Limited: Targets on the ground, Alternate Effect) [1]
    • Move Object 10 Close Range (Limited to Flinging Targets Away, Linked to Strength Damage, Alternate Effect) [1]
    • 10 (Effect: Alternate Effect) [1] Was considering Thunderclap from Power Profiles, but the 2 points per rank means it would be Rank 5, which might be too weak to matter...not sure what to do
    • Leaping 2, Safe-Fall 1 (Flaw: Limited: Must be near a surface), Speed 3, Swimming 2, Wall-Crawling 2 (Makeshift handholds, Limited: Surfaces with material Toughness less than Strength modifier) (Effect: Linked, Alternate Effect) [1]

PL 10
    Attributes: 50
    Defences: 12
    Advantages: 14
    Skills: 17
    Powers: 57 7 left to spend
    Total: 150

For reference...

"WYLD"
    Name: Malachi Cornell
    Height: 7'9"
    Weight: 802 lbs.
    Eyes: Damp Ashes
    Hair: Unruly Cinders
    Nationality: Canadian (British Columbia)

Concept: An animalistic wall of corded muscle holding the line between innocence and those that would rob them of their liberty. "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing" - J.S. Mill Burke.

Complications
    • Prejudice (Mutant): Straddles the line between man and monster, and as a rule isn't really accepted by either. As an obvious metahuman he is seen as a monster by many, though loathe to judge another by their appearance.
    • Ideals: Malachi's word is his bond and he would never hurt a child or an innocent.
    • Feral: Tends to be animalistic and often uncouth, missing social nuances and the expectations of decorum that most civilized folks take for granted, especially since he eternally appears to be hungry, and at times how deeply he descends into the monster can scare those around him.

Catchphrase: "There is no need to be afraid little one, the monsters are gone now."

Description: Slabs of sun-bronzed meat entomb nearly 8' of bone, gristle and sinew. Fingers thick with callouses rake back the unruly tangle of long midnight locks part wide enough to permit the chaotic glint of his storm grey eyes. His entire appearance as cuddly as a tarantula with it's hair combed.His movements are that of an apex predator, exploding into motion with the fury of a blood-mad berserker, and acting as an agent of carnage. Malachi flashes pearl-white teeth in greeting, speaking with a mysteriously deep timbre to his voice, which sounds like jagged rocks trying unsuccessfully to mate.

Personality: Surprisingly easy-going, gentle, soft-spoken, his mouth more often fashioned into smiles than anything else. He would never dream of hurting a child, and the quickest way to see the monster within is to threaten one. In combat is another story altogether as one finds rage incarnate guided by nightmarish cunning, the spawn of nightmares guided by bestial impulses. Enjoys roughhousing, exploration, combat, and occasionally cow punching.

Languages: English, French, American Sign Language

Backstory: It was decided that the growth spurts were far beyond the norm when the boy reached 6'7" and shattered the family scale at the age of 14. Escape to the Rocky Mountains was deemed the only way to keep the boy safe. His family moved and set up in a new town, intent to never mention the freak of their loins again.

A breath of air touched the back of his neck. Burning pain and the nerve-jarring sensation of metal scraping against bone, cause his body to jerk with agony. The blow was intended to be the last, the shot aimed to sever his spinal cord. The breath of air on his neck had been enough to shift just enough. When he turned, the arrow had missed its mark, sliding down into his shoulder. Each breath caused wrenching agony. He could not make his legs work properly and collapsed onto the stones. A burning sensation spread from the puncture throughout his nerve endings, bringing with it nausea.

Bitter despair filled him as the chains were cinched tight.

Horrific reality tears the flesh marionette free from its unconscious state, cruel consciousness slowly returning by degrees through distorted pockets of confusion. The cell was austere poured-in-place steel-reinforced concrete sporting multiple layers of cracked and chipped paint, a deeply-set barred window long since bricked up, and a stainless steel door sealed with both mechanical and magnetic locks. They should fire their interior designer, since the place had all the charm of a gallows. The surround was heavily scarred and dented, with time-hardened stains suggestive that this cell had been used time and again. Considering the partially-muted screams and pounding, other cells were nearby being occupied even now.

Nostrils flare drawing in the stench of fear, sweat, bleach, blood, and mildew.
    His ears draw in the slight whir of the room's stationary camera automatically adjusting their lens to bring his movements best into focus.

A chill crawled up him, as if cold, ropy creepers sliding across his flesh, as Malachi considered what might have been done to him while he was vulnerable and his life dangled by a gossamer filament. Some would react with fear, but not the monster fearfully nicknamed "Wyld" by the criminal element. Sinister eyes glitter as his lips peeled back in a feral snarl revealing flesh between his pearl-white teeth of something he had eaten raw. The naked spawn of nightmares innumerable, toughened by a lifetime of hammer blows, attempts to stand, only then becoming aware of his battered and slashed form, awash in his own blood. His every movement hampered by plates of thick iron hammered into numerous rusted and jagged points and burs, which cut deeply into his flesh with each movement. Rivulets of blood carved paths, in and around other dried trails, down slabs of the heavily-scarred meat that entombed the unwashed flesh. Deeply anchored chains to ankles, neck, and wrists, betray his every move.

He was a registered mutant now, held captive by the MRC.

A wild criminal desire to smash flooded his thews as he gives into his bestial impulses and slams his fists against the walls again, and again, and again.
    Last edited by Loki; 07-06-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Protomolecule Host

Re: HELP! Made this hero and not sure if it is legal/viable

Questions:
    1. Can an Array have more than 5 Alternate Effects?
    2. With a +8 to strike and 12 damage with Thrown Objects, but just wondering if that has to be a certain sized thing to do that damage? or can he just grab something decently substantive (manhole cover?) and Nolan Ryan it through evil? Or does it have to be a car?
    3. If he Grabs someone, can he use them as an impromptu missile? Would damage be able to be done to the missile as well as what it is thrown at if he so chose?
    4. Can I use the Ranged Throw skill for a Fastball Special as well? Thinking it would have been cheaper to just buy a ranged attack, but the idea of throwing cars at people is just too alluring to avoid.
    5. How would combat proceed with this character? Never played before and just wondering if I need to tone him down or boost him up.
    6. Is a +6 enough to hit often enough to justify a 14 Strength? #outofmywayhulk
    7. Is there a way to buoy up his ability to resist mental damage/attacks without lowering his Toughness or spending 30 points on a high end Immunity power?
    8. Thoughts on a 20 in Intimidate? Overkill or useful in some situations?
    9. With a -1 to Presence, could I buy 21 ranks of Intimidate in a PL 10 game, since I do not see the net benefit of the extra 1 point - or would my maximum be an Intimidate of 19?
    10. Somewhere in the Power Profiles they were talking about Penetrating on Burrowing as a way to move through walls at a constant rate like the Juggernaut. Just wondering, would I not be able to do that anyway with a Strength score this high?
    Last edited by Loki; 07-06-2018 at 02:58 PM.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Questions:
    1. Can an Array have more than 5 Alternate Effects?
    2. With a +8 to strike and 12 damage with Thrown Objects, but just wondering if that has to be a certain sized thing to do that damage? or can he just grab something decently substantive (manhole cover?) and Nolan Ryan it through evil? Or does it have to be a car?
    3. If he Grabs someone, can he use them as an impromptu missile? Would damage be able to be done to the missile as well as what it is thrown at if he so chose?
    4. Can I use the Ranged Throw skill for a Fastball Special as well? Thinking it would have been cheaper to just buy a ranged attack, but the idea of throwing cars at people is just too alluring to avoid.
    5. How would combat proceed with this character? Never played before and just wondering if I need to tone him down or boost him up.
    6. Is a +6 enough to hit often enough to justify a 14 Strength? #outofmywayhulk
    7. Is there a way to buoy up his ability to resist mental damage/attacks without lowering his Toughness or spending 30 points on a high end Immunity power?
    8. Thoughts on a 20 in Intimidate? Overkill or useful in some situations?
    9. With a -1 to Presence, could I buy 21 ranks of Intimidate in a PL 10 game, since I do not see the net benefit of the extra 1 point - or would my maximum be an Intimidate of 19?
    10. Somewhere in the Power Profiles they were talking about Penetrating on Burrowing as a way to move through walls at a constant rate like the Juggernaut. Just wondering, would I not be able to do that anyway with a Strength score this high?
    1: An array can have as many Alternate Effects as you have PP to buy. A GM may decide to set a upper bound, or just selectively veto characters they feel have "too many".
    2: The rulebook is mostly silent, but when the Throwing Mastery Advantage mentions "normally harmless objects" it references things like pens and playing cards.
    3: That seems reasonable, but the rulebook is silent on the matter.
    4: That seems reasonable, but the rulebook is silent on the matter.
    5: The best way to answer questions of this nature are to actually put them in a fight. A PL 10 villain or a handful of PL 8 minions makes a good trial run.
    6: Yes, and remember that you can Accurate Attack and/or All-Out Attack to increase accuracy.
    7: Second Chance, if you have particular descriptors in mind.
    8: Overkill sometimes, useful other times. Better overcompetent than undercompetent in my mind.
    9: You could buy 21 ranks.
    10: Asketh thine GM. Burrowing doesn't require you attack, though.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    5: The best way to answer questions of this nature are to actually put them in a fight. A PL 10 villain or a handful of PL 8 minions makes a good trial run.
    7: Second Chance, if you have particular descriptors in mind.
    Nunya, as always you are an amazing support, and I really appreciate your rapid feedback.

7. Interesting, I had not looked at Second Chance before. Not sure what specifically I would need to defend against though. Would Luck make more sense then?

5. Totally a neophyte when it comes to this game BTW, as I get into games that seem to die before I learn what the mechanics mean...this will end now I am confident as I am in 2 games total, both M&M3e games, and currently applying for one with the above character.
    Last edited by Loki; 07-07-2018 at 03:50 PM.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Nunya, as always you are an amazing support, and I really appreciate your rapid feedback.

7. Interesting, I had not looked at Second Chance before. Not sure what specifically I would need to defend against though. Would Luck make more sense then?

5. Totally a neophyte when it comes to this game BTW, as I get into games that seem to die before I learn what the mechanics mean...this will end now I am confident as I am in 2 games total, both M&M3e games, and currently applying for one with the above character.
    No problem, glad I'm helping!

7: Luck, especially Luck Limited to Will Saves, could work. It's sort of a square-peg-round-hole solution though. You've got a good Fortitude so you get a less-than-good Will, which is how the system is intended to work. If you wanted to be less good at Fortitude and more good at Will without sacrificing Stamina, you could take Reduced Trait (Fortitude) and buy up your Will however felt right.

5: This is just me, but I find a great way to learn a system is to run both sides of a fight and look things up as I go.

Reading through A Fistful of Nazis can be educational. Even better is running it yourself.