Thread: Talent Confusion

UN Basic Recipient

Talent Confusion

Hiyas!

A clarification on Talents, if you please:

When a Talent "names" a Focus, does the PC gain the Focus (plus its' benefits) or just gets the Talent's mechanics when using that Focus?

Thanks!
    VVV
    VV

Protomolecule Host Sentinel Ark's Avatar

Re: Talent Confusion

Edit: Kot said it better. See his post.
    Last edited by Sentinel Ark; 07-07-2018 at 03:30 PM.

They would get the talentís benefits when making tests involving that Focus, but it does not require the PC to have then focus unless it says it does.
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

UN Basic Recipient

"They would get the talentís benefits when making tests involving that Focus, but it does not require the PC to have then focus unless it says it does."

And Talents like Intrigue too. I was just checking if I wasn't misunderstanding the rules and not letting the PCs gain the Foci.

Thanks!
    VVV
    VV

UN Basic Recipient

The answers have left me a bit confused.

If I take the Observation (Novice) Talent.

Novice: You notice things others do not. Choose one of the
    following Perception focuses: Empathy or Seeing. If you fail a
    Perception test with your chosen focus, you can re-roll it but
    you must keep the result of the second roll.
    So, for example, I do not have either the Empathy or Seeing focuses, can I
    (i) still take the Observation (Novice) Talent and select (say) the Seeing option.
    and
    (ii) If I can, then if I take the Ability test Perception (Seeing), do I get the option to re-roll if I fail the Ability test Perception (Seeing)? Remember, I don't have the Perception (Seeing) Focus.

I appreciate that I wouldn't automatically get the Perception (Seeing) Focus just by obtaining the Observation (Novice) Talent. I wouldn't get the +2 bonus when taking the Perception (Seeing) ability test, because I don't have the Focus, but I would still be able to re-roll a failed Perception (Seeing) ability test.

Is that correct? The wording on some of the replies above make me wonder if that is the perceived wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by xris View Post
    The answers have left me a bit confused.

If I take the Observation (Novice) Talent.

So, for example, I do not have either the Empathy or Seeing focuses, can I
    (i) still take the Observation (Novice) Talent and select (say) the Seeing option.
    and
    (ii) If I can, then if I take the Ability test Perception (Seeing), do I get the option to re-roll if I fail the Ability test Perception (Seeing)? Remember, I don't have the Perception (Seeing) Focus.

I appreciate that I wouldn't automatically get the Perception (Seeing) Focus just by obtaining the Observation (Novice) Talent. I wouldn't get the +2 bonus when taking the Perception (Seeing) ability test, because I don't have the Focus, but I would still be able to re-roll a failed Perception (Seeing) ability test.

Is that correct? The wording on some of the replies above make me wonder if that is the perceived wisdom.
    Yes to (i) and (ii).

Protomolecule Host Baroness Nerak's Avatar

Sentinel Ark is correct. It is essentially a bonus to that sort of task, so you can do it Focus or no.
    Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle)
    "It was a dark dark night, even for infravision. I stepped out of my office cave and lit some twigs in my teeth as I looked in the darkness. That was when this dame showed up with tusks for miles, and legs twice as long. 'You Gnaag?' She said. 'Only when I don't get paid' I say. This girl was 22 stone of green trouble. And I was going to walk right into it." -Orc Noir

UN Basic Recipient

Thanks for the replies, it confirmed what I thought was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
    Edit: Kot said it better. See his post.
    Heh, shame you edited your post as I thought it was the one post that was clear to being with

The other posts used the term "Focus" when I think they should have used the term "skill".

For example.
    Q) When a Talent "names" a Focus, does the PC gain the Focus (plus its' benefits) or just gets the Talent's mechanics when using that skill?
    A) They would get the talentís benefits when making tests involving that skill, but it does not require the PC to have the focus unless it says it does.

For me, asking about "using that Focus" or "making tests involving that Focus" planted some doubt in my mind that you need the Focus to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by xris View Post
    Heh, shame you edited your post as I thought it was the one post that was clear to being with
    Oh? When I re-read the OP with respect to Kot's post, I felt that my answer wasn't quite right; that it still had room for misinterpretation or confusion. I think that is why Kot jumped in to clarify. I felt that his explanation was better.

Maybe when I remember how I answered originally, I'll undo the edit, but, ultimately, we have an understanding now. So, we can move to the next question that pops up - whatever that may be.