Thread: Grenade vs Super Man

Protomolecule Host

Grenade vs Super Man

So a grenade is going to go off in a few seconds. Super Man and a few other by-standers are in the blast radius. Super Man picks up the grenade, squeezes it in his hands, it goes off, and only a small puff of smoke escapes his hands. By-standers saved.

I know that it takes a Toughness Save for Super Man to have his hands survive the blast. Of course he has a very high Impervious Toughness so he's fine no matter what.

What does it take for him to contain the blast, shielding the normal people near him? I'm guessing that this would involve Super Man being stronger than the damage rating of the grenade? How much is required?

Also, what happens when he opens his hands? In Metropolis it would seem nothing happens. I run a slightly more realistic game and I'm wondering what sort of interesting side effects could happen for a Brick not quite so strong.

Thanks in advance for the inspiration I always get when I ask a question.

ManDrake

Re: Grenade vs Super Man

By the book, I'd say your best bet is using a Hero Point to do an Instant Counter using one's strength. However, that would imply the effect goes away entirely, which wouldn't fit for all heroes attempting to jump on the grenade. Someone with less durability (say, a regular soldier attempting that sacrifice), should take the full effect, maybe more. As a GM, my impulse is to decide on a fair DC for catching or leaping on the grenade (Dexterity or Agility come to mind, maybe allow for Dodge to accommodate how it basically replaced the old Reflex save), maybe simply using the Dodge DC of 10+Rank. Whether or not they succeed, they take the full brunt of the effect without getting a Dodge save. If they succeed, only they take the damage.

As for what happens when they open their hands after the explosion, they should just have the fragments. Grenades largely work by hurling fragments at high speed. More explosive items, technically speaking, the wave of the explosion should travel through their hands and still affect everyone else, but we're talking comic books.

I could also see it as running things where the successful Dodge save means the person performing the save takes all of the damage and everyone else in the area is assume to have made their Dodge check, giving them the half damage (or allowing them to roll to get no damage as per 2E Evasion 2).

OPA Belta

How do you feel about stunting Strength into a "Nullify Area Extra"? So explosion goes away but the damage effect still exists (and probably auto hits).

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    By the book, I'd say your best bet is using a Hero Point to do an Instant Counter using one's strength.

As for what happens when they open their hands after the explosion, they should just have the fragments. Grenades largely work by hurling fragments at high speed. More explosive items, technically speaking, the wave of the explosion should travel through their hands and still affect everyone else, but we're talking comic books.

I could also see it as running things where the successful Dodge save means the person performing the save takes all of the damage and everyone else in the area is assume to have made their Dodge check, giving them the half damage (or allowing them to roll to get no damage as per 2E Evasion 2).
    Thanks fuzzy. I was originally thinking only of lesser, but still quite sturdy bricks trying the Super Man maneuver, but the regular soldier question is also interesting.

I wasn't thinking Super Man would have to spend a Hero Point for Instant Counter, since it was on his turn and he had plenty of time.

I do like the thought of a reduced shock wave still traveling thru an Elongation based or liquid like character like Mr Fantastic. He'd stop all the shrapnel but not necessarily all of the shock wave. I'm thinking that if you have more Impervious Toughness than the grenade's damage, you stop all the shock wave in your hands, if not, whatever ranks of impervious you were missing, that much damage "leaks through".

I think what you wrote in the last sentence models what happened when Myth Busters tested what would happen to soldiers near a grenade that another soldier had leapt on. It was much more survivable, but not entirely nullified.

I like using Dodge in place of Reflex save. Either the soldier can try to save his own skin by hopefully taking only half damage, or he can jump on the grenade and if successful, probably save his friends by making all of their Dodge saves for them and halving or zeroing out their damage.

Of course if the explosive is too large, jumping on it will not save your friends if you are a soldier. I guess I would need to compare the explosive damage against the mass rank of the character, after all, I assume the Hulk's body could shield against a larger grenade than Bruce Banner's just by mass alone.