Thread: Statting a tree

UN Basic Recipient

Statting a tree

How do you stat a living, sentient, free-willed, thinking, sensing, but completely immobile tree?

In case you are wondering, the tree also has mental powers.

OPA Belta

Re: Statting a tree

Inability to move at all would be Absent Strength, Agility, Dexterity, and Fighting. It would be a trivial target to hit with any attacks, it couldn't make any physical attacks, and could neither move itself nor other objects by physical means.

UN Basic Recipient

The tree WOULD be able to hold up some weight though. Would that be Power-Lifting?

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Rubin View Post
    The tree WOULD be able to hold up some weight though. Would that be Power-Lifting?
    That'd likely be some function of Stamina or Toughness. The GM would have to house-rule it the same way they'd have to house-rule an answer to how much weight a floor or wall could bear.

I think a fundamental question is, how does he interact with the world to affect things?

OPA Belta

A non-moving tree would lack Agility. If it lacks the ability to manipulate things with its branches, it would also lack Dexterity. It would still have Strength and Stamina, as it is a physical object and can hold things. I would also tack on a Complication simply called "Tree-Like Being" that would cover other info like needing to sustain itself through soil and sunlight, as well as not being able to move and being a open target.
    DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
    Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    I think a fundamental question is, how does he interact with the world to affect things?

Move object

Protomolecule Host

I hope this is an NPC! A heroic mentor type.

I would count it as a living thing, but with a lot of immunities (something similar to life support). Photosynthesis is already giving it immunity to starvation (but not thirst) and part of the complications are the requirements for sunlight and soil.

As a tree, it gets Protection (it's made of wood, after all) but it is completely defenseless, so it can be attacked as an object (really easy to hit, or you can crit it with an attack roll against its low Parry and Dodge).

It would get Growth, perhaps quite a few ranks.

It can interact mentally. Does it have the Mental Immunity that most trees have? It has a mind, so perhaps not.