Thread: modeling Tony Stark's remote for IronMan Armor

Protomolecule Host

modeling Tony Stark's remote for IronMan Armor

OK so in the Third Iron Man movie, Tony has a visor like remote control interface (in game terms a Device) and uses it to control a suit of Iron Man armor (another Device) as if he is in it. While doing this, he saves a bunch of people who are falling from a plane.

I am wondering how to cost out this type of remote control.

Right now I assume the remote, being a worn item like a pair of headphones and a pair of sunglasses combined, is Removable, but not Hard to Loose, since it could be ripped off his head relatively easily. But that's not the part I need help with.

1) Is the Remote Sensing power the best way to go for the Visual and Auditory "heads up display" here?

2) What about the part where Tony gets to control the armor's movements? That seems to be a separate "power" from the sensory bit. Should I use Machine Control (i.e. Animate Objects Limited: Machines only from 2e ) as the basis here? With a Flaw of "Only Iron Man Armor Suits"? I can't find a suitable 3e Power for this except maybe Affliction Third Degree Controlled, but that seems way off thematically as that's usually for unwilling organic characters.

Thanks in advance for the inspiration
    ManDrake

OPA Belta

Re: modeling Tony Stark's remote for IronMan Armor

I'd do it with Remote Sensing and Concentration duration Summon with the Self-Powered flaw.
    See through the suit's cameras, make the suit do things, and when he stops the suit just sits there.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    I'd do it with Remote Sensing and Concentration duration Summon with the Self-Powered flaw.
    See through the suit's cameras, make the suit do things, and when he stops the suit just sits there.
    Uh, where is the Self Powered flaw? I don't know that one.

I think I see your case for Summon, if the scene starts with the suit in some locker somewhere and Tony is Summoning it to him. I was more thinking of a case where Tony is standing next to the suit and decides to use the remote rather than putting on the suit for some reason. Or better for a robot that was never meant to be worn.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Man Drake View Post
    Uh, where is the Self Powered flaw? I don't know that one.

I think I see your case for Summon, if the scene starts with the suit in some locker somewhere and Tony is Summoning it to him. I was more thinking of a case where Tony is standing next to the suit and decides to use the remote rather than putting on the suit for some reason. Or better for a robot that was never meant to be worn.
    Self-Powered is in Power Profiles. It makes it so that the Summon effect doesn't teleport to summoned entity to/from the user when turned on/off.

Anything involving "other character" is generally Summon, Minion, or Sidekick. The only alternative I can think of would be making Stark being outside the armor a Complication of some form, but I don't think I'd spring for that since it sounds like this is intended to be a perk.

Protomolecule Host

Hmmmm. I guess I was not seeing this as what I think you mean when you say "Other character" since Tony still really only has one set of actions, the armor's actions. Where as normal Summon brings in an "extra" character and now the sommon-er has his actions AND the actions of the Summoned being. In the remote control scene Tony can't do anything but control the suit, or put down the remote and do something where he is (on a boat) but not both.

Of course, what I love about M&M is that, often, two different ways of modeling something turn out to cost the same.

I'll look at Summon and Animate Object and see which one seems best. I will also definitely get Power Profiles...

Thanks

Protomolecule Host

SPOILERS!

Hmmmm. I guess I was not seeing this as what I think you mean when you say "Other character" since Tony still really only has one set of actions, the armor's actions.
    In Age of Ultron, Tony told his armor to get off him and go into guard mode so he could do some science stuff. It listened. If Stark had gotten into trouble he could have summoned another suit of armor while that one stood there and blasted away, or Stark could pull a handgun and shoot at the threat while his armor does the same (much more effectively).

So in that case it's a Summon giving him extra actions (probably not Active, since it apparently could not move) and uses its own Ranged Attack score.

In Iron Man 3 he summoned his armor at a distance (really humorously). In that case it's Self-Powered; it has to travel under its own power to get to his location, which in that particular scene was a different city entirely.

OK so in the Third Iron Man movie, Tony has a visor like remote control interface (in game terms a Device) and uses it to control a suit of Iron Man armor (another Device) as if he is in it. While doing this, he saves a bunch of people who are falling from a plane.

I am wondering how to cost out this type of remote control.
    Sounds like a power stunt of heroic Summon off his entire battlesuit. For the HUD, just add the mental link extra.

Protomolecule Host

Wouldn't a one point Remote Control feature do it? Or an AI minion acting as an autopilot, with Tony just giving directions and looking on via commlink as the "remote."

I did an Iron Man writeup recently with that notion in mind. The armor AI would have lower stats while running the armor than Tony would, since Tony has some dodge, parry and stamina bought outside the suit.

Iron Man

PL 10* 150 points

Attributes 24* PP
    Strength 0/12
    Agility 0
    Fighting 0
    Awareness 5
    Stamina 2/10
    Dexterity 0
    Intellect 5
    Presence 0

Defenses 11 PP
    2 Dodge* 2/8
    2 Parry* 2/8
    - Fort 2/10
    - Tough. 0/12
    5 Will 10

Repulsor Rays +8 to hit/12 damage
    Unarmed Combat +8 to hit/12 damage
    Unibeam 10 damage, Area Line

Skills: 15 PP 30
    Expertise (Engineering) 10 (+15)
    Expertise (Everything else) 0/5
    Insight* 0/5
    Perception 5 (+10)
    Technology 15 (+20)

Advantages 7 PP
    Eidetic Memory
    Improved Initiative 1
    Improvised Tools
    Inventor
    Feature Wealth 2 Independently Wealthy
    Skill Mastery* (Technology)

Powers* 93 CP

1 Tech Genius - Quickness 3 Technology Tasks Only

Iron Man Armor 92 CP Removable

30 CP Weapon Systems
    Transistor-powered servomotors - Enhanced Strength 12* Enhanced Skill Unarmed combat 8 (28 CP)
    Repulsor Rays - Ranged Damage 12 Accurate 4 (28 CP)
    Unibeam - Close Damage 10 Area Line Penetrating 6 26 CP + Environmental Control Light 1 (Sunlight level), Cone instead of Radius -0 2 CP (28 CP)

18 CP Boot Jets Flight 9

28 CP Armored Exoskeleton - Enhanced Stamina 8, Protection 2,* Impervious Toughness 10

12 Combat Computer Enhanced Dodge 6, Parry 6

9 Sealed Systems Immunity Life Support, still needs to eat/drink -1

8 Sensory Systems (Accurate Radio (Radar) Extended 3, Infrared Vision, Tracking -IR Vision)

3 Enhanced Advantage 3 Minion 3 JARVIS AI.

1 Feature 1 Remote Control

6 Variant Armors and armor mods Variable 1, Slow

JARVIS minion 3, PL 3, 45 CP

Attributes -10 CP
    -10 Strength -
    -10 Agility -
    Fighting 0
    Awareness 0
    -10 Stamina -
    Dexterity 0
    20 Intellect 10
    Presence 0

Advantages 3 CP
    Eidetic Memory
    Fearless
    Well Informed

Skills 2 CP
    Investigation 2
    Technology 2

Powers 50 CP

40 AI software - Immunity 40 Fort effects, mental effects

3 Computer Precision Senses 3 Direction sense, Time Sense, Distance Sense

4 Interface - Comprehend Machines 2

2 Overclocked processor Quickness 4 mental tasks only

1 Feature 1 Commlink

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Ysariel View Post
    Sounds like a power stunt of heroic Summon off his entire battlesuit. For the HUD, just add the mental link extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
    Wouldn't a one point Remote Control feature do it? Or an AI minion acting as an autopilot, with Tony just giving directions and looking on via commlink as the "remote."

I did an Iron Man writeup recently with that notion in mind. The armor AI would have lower stats while running the armor than Tony would, since Tony has some dodge, parry and stamina bought outside the suit.
    I've actually got several different robotic/AI characters in the design pipeline that prompted me to ask this question.

Thanks Wheeljack for the Iron Man + Jarvis build, that should help. Also, I think your description matches the end of Iron Man III where Jarvis is piloting multiple suits for Tony, and occasionally directing one to open for Tony. Each suit has a copy of Jarvis in it, perhaps Jarvis has the Duplication Power...

I think Ysariel is describing what I had in mind, and what happened in the "Everyone falling from the plane" scene. In that scene Jarvis was unavailable. I agree that Mental Link would allow giving the suit directions, assuming there was a basic voice command operated AI that could follow orders. "Go pick up that rock I'm pointing to". Technically though, since Tony is far away, and he needs to be able to see and hear what the Armor sees and hears, I think the Remote Sensing power would still be needed.

Either way I have a better understanding now of how to use these powers to model the various AI and remote vision, remote control aspects of the characters I want to make, thanks.

As far as paying for it, let me see if I have this straight:

Lets say the Iron Man Armor's Powers cost a total of 100 points, but its Removable so as a Device it costs 80 points.

Now I want to do a Summon (Heroic, Mental Link) which cost 4p/rank + 1 point and grants 15 points/rank

Do I need:

80/15 = 6 ranks of Summon for 25 points
    or
    100/15 = 7 ranks of Summon for 29 points since it really isn't Removable any more but rather an "independent" Device

Either way it falls way below an 80 point power stunt so more could be added to this Power Stunt... like the Remote Sensing.

I won't ask How Tony was able to afford Summoning at least a dozen suits at the end of the movie...
    Last edited by Man Drake; 07-02-2018 at 09:00 AM.