Thread: Enhanced trait with powers

OPA Belta

Enhanced trait with powers

Just a power building question.

I'm trying to build a character who is, unknown to himself, a pain vampire. In the presence of people in pain, gains a fear aura that operates continually and without his knowledge. Yes, he's a megalomaniac who thinks he's just that much of a badass that people flee from or cower before him naturally

I've so far modeled this (the fear aura) with Affliction (dazed, compelled, controlled), Burst Area, Permanent, Limited (apply fear only). Is Permanent sufficient to model an involuntary power? i haven't changed the action required at all, so by the book i think this would still require a standard action to activate (which he can't take, because he doesn't know the power exists)? Do I need to apply Reaction as well? Or is Permanent even required at all, given the duration of the fear isn't permanent, only the existence of the fear aura itself?

Ok, so that's the power itself, how about the pain vampirism bit? Do I make this Enhanced Trait (fear aura) Limited (only in the presence of pain), Fades? Or is it Enhanced Trait (fear aura), Reaction (happens automatically in the presence of pain), Fades - analogous to how Energy Absorption is constructed in the rulebook?

(And for extra points, how do i do all this in Hero Lab, given that HL doesn't seem to let you apply Enhanced Trait to powers?)

Re: Enhanced trait with powers

Strictly speaking, yes, this would be a Reaction power where the triggering condition is something along the lines of "Comes within 30 feet of the character". You can't apply Permanent directly (this was a thing in 2E, but it was lost in the transition to 3E, perhaps deliberately), so Affliction remains Instant, but Uncontrolled is probably a viable Flaw (as always, up to the GM) to model that he has no way of turning it off.

If you want to generally have the power available, and enhance it in certain situations, you're looking for Stacks With in Hero Lab. It's a shorthand way of saying "This power adds to this power". You only need to apply it one way. Note that this is not really an official "Extra", so it doesn't really do any bookkeeping to ensure that the two things can legally be added together.

OPA Belta

Re: Enhanced trait with powers

Take "permanent" as a complication. Then you can get HP when want to turn it off but can't.