Thread: Grab weirdness

OPA Belta

Grab weirdness

Is there errata for Grab? The way it's written in the book (and on the srd website) it's a bit klunky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grab
    You attempt to grab a target. Make an attack check against the target. If successful, the target makes a resistance check against your Strength (or the rank of a grabbing effect) using the better of Strength or Dodge. If you win with one degree of success, the target is restrained (immobile and vulnerable). Two or more degrees leave your opponent bound (defenseless, immobile, and impaired). You can attempt to improve an existing hold with another grab action on a following turn. Any resulting degrees of success are cumulative, but if you lose, the target escapes.
    The target is rolling a resistance check but then it says if "you" (the attacker) win, 1 success does X, 2 successes do Y, etc. X and Y should not happen unless the Target fails the resistance check. It seems like there was probably a prior draft where this was an opposed roll, perhaps.

I mean the intent is (hopefully) obvious but it's not written clearly.

Actually, is there errata for the rule book at all?

Re: Grab weirdness

If the target of the resistance check fails it, then you (user of Grab) are the winner of the check, and saying 'your degrees of success' is a roundabout way of referring to the target's degrees of failure. But yes, I agree that this book tends to assume you know its intent is obvious.

OPA Belta

It just scans funny. The target becomes the active player and success to him should be not being grabbed. As I said, I wonder if it was ever an opposed roll in some unreleased version of the game. I wonder this because the Escape entry makes reference to the routine check rule which again implies that there could have been an opposed check there.

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    It just scans funny. The target becomes the active player and success to him should be not being grabbed. As I said, I wonder if it was ever an opposed roll in some unreleased version of the game. I wonder this because the Escape entry makes reference to the routine check rule which again implies that there could have been an opposed check there.
    2E used the opposed roll, which could be the source of this.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    2E used the opposed roll, which could be the source of this.
    That would be my guess as to the cause, too.