Thread: Temporary wings?

UN Basic Recipient

Question Temporary wings?

This is my first time making a character and I had the idea to have her sprout angel like wings of light from her back to fly. So that would be the flight power with the wings flaw but she doesn't have the wings all the time. She just turns them on and off when she needs them.

So my question is, what is the best way to go about her wings activating and deactivating? I'm not sure what kind of power that would use.

OPA Belta

Re: Temporary wings?

A power that you can't turn on and off would have a duration of Permanent.
    A power that you can turn on and off would have a duration of Sustained or Continuous.

Flight is already Sustained duration, so you don't need to do any real work to it! You just narrate the wings appearing when you turn the power on and disappearing when you turn it off, and voila!

UN Basic Recipient

Ah, alrighty. I guess I was over thinking it a bit. Thanks!

To get really detailed (or pedantic), default Flight is always somehow obvious. Any power than isn't Continuous or Permanent by default is automatically noticeable unless bought as Subtle. How that manifests is up to the player and should match descriptors. This could be a radiant glow or a whooshing sounds or, in your case, wings of light. The fact that the lights "turn off" when you stop flying is still how most powers work, so you don't need to modify for that.

Going deeper, the Wings Flaw can be for winged flight, but it doesn't have to be. The Wings Flaw means that your wings can be restrained or fouled so that you can't fly, so something like getting successfully hit by a bolo weapon would wrap your wings and start you falling. Since you called them "wings of light" your concept may be that the wings can't be fouled or restrained, so they are still wings, but they don't have the Wings Flaw. Conversely, I could have an Inspector Gadget-style character with a propeller coming out of his head to fly, but if the propeller get tangled up with something it stops working, so it effectively has the Wings Flaw although it doesn't have literal wings.

In short, don't be hypnotised by the names of Effects and other traits. What it does mechanically is more important than what it's called.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!