Thread: Anybody interested in helping me brainstorm?

UN Basic Recipient

Anybody interested in helping me brainstorm?

So, right now, I'm looking to make a solo campaign with a friend of mine. Normally I don't run solo campaigns, but at the moment have nobody else to play with.

My thoughts are on a Green Lantern/Nova Corps type character (possessing a highly powerful quasi-mystic/sci-fantasy artifact) but I want to shake it up a bit. I want to do a bit of a cross with the concept behind Exiles as well, so the character will be traveling through time and space, across parallel worlds, dealing with the unknown at every turn... I just can't quite figure out the hook to the story. I'm not sure if I want the character to be a member of a large force like the GL/Nova Corps, or the torchbearer to a group that was destroyed, like Kyle Rayner.

Also, for the settings, characters, and threats, would purchasing the cosmic handbook be helpful?

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Anybody interested in helping me brainstorm?

If you are looking for ideas then I recommend stealing whatever sounds/feels good, time travel have been a focus in many rpg's, video games, and cartoons. Find out as much as you can then take whatever you think works.

Looking for different parallel worlds? The Cosmic handbook is a great start. Otherwise I would recommend choosing a setting or idea you like and explaining it. Love Samurai movies? In one universe samurai never fell from favor, research why they ended and come up with an excuse why it would not end. Still cannot find ideas? Google DC multiverse, DC elseworlds, Marvel What if? or alternate universe ideas.

So long as you are not trying to sell this then steal whatever you like and change it to make it yours.

UN Basic Recipient

Worlds of Freedom might be helpful. Also there was a GURPS book full of parallel worlds but I can't remember it's name right now.

You might create a time and space travelling race of creatures bent on spreading chaos, destruction or universe domination, esseantially demons with a sci-fantasy flavor. It would save you from the effort of finding new enemies for every game session.

Protomolecule Host K.G. Carlson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harnos View Post
    Worlds of Freedom might be helpful. Also there was a GURPS book full of parallel worlds but I can't remember it's name right now.

You might create a time and space travelling race of creatures bent on spreading chaos, destruction or universe domination, esseantially demons with a sci-fantasy flavor. It would save you from the effort of finding new enemies for every game session.
    There were 2 actually, and once upon a time I owned them both. I think they might have been called "Alternate Earths." Sadly I pawned them off years ago. A lot of interesting alternate realities in those two tomes.
    Say goodbye to gravity
    Say goodbye to death
    Say hello to eternity
    And live for every breath
    -The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden

What if the character thought he was a torchbearer when in fact he's part of something larger? I would think this fits well with the Exiles theme.

I'm reminder of the show Sliders as well as an old TV show called Voyager (not the Star Trek version).
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic One View Post
    Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.
    Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting
    Blade's Builds

The Merge Character Sheet Lists
    The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Bladewind View Post
    What if the character thought he was a torchbearer when in fact he's part of something larger?
    I like this idea ~ here's an idea for some details:

The character was born sometime far in the future, and recruited into the Temporal Guard. which had been founded by mysterious super-cosmic beings of some sort to perform a variety of missions throughout this timeline and others, manipulating events on both the grand and the small scale in order to manipulate the probability field underlying reality towards some unspecified end. It's using a very blunt instrument to achieve very precise ends.

One such mission ~ one that was assigned to the character alone? One that featured a squad or larger group that got killed off? ~ made that future an impossibility. I now have an image of the character watching as all their fellow Guardsfolk disappear from continuity and existence all around them. They have no idea why they still exist, or how to reconstruct the future that contained everything they ever knew and loved, or whether that reconstruction is even a good idea (since the founders of the Guard obviously intended for this to happen), or if those founders still exist.

In truth, this change was part of a larger plan by those founders, one that achieved an objective large enough to be worth erasing their greatest tool from history. They are now in endgame, and the protagonist hasn't even yet realized that they're a player and not a pawn.

I also can't seem to get it out of my head that you could pull a whole cosmic take on Wanted, too.
    either e/em/eir pronouns or fey/fem/fear pronouns
    {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}
    Many gods, no masters. Re-enchantment or bust!
    "So I donít even want to hear about reality. I donít want reality. Reality will only ever be exclusionary." --Aevee Bee, "Toward a Cutie Aesthetic"