Thread: Floating power (floating above the ground)

Protomolecule Host

Floating power (floating above the ground)

I am talking about floating about a foot off the ground, not floating in water.

At first I thought this would be just a feature (something to make a wizard or psychic look cool), but simply not touching the ground makes this character immune to any attacks that require them to touch the ground, as well as Tremorsense (ranged tough, along the ground), and they are immune to being slowed down by terrain or being tracked by scent, etc... That is probably be worth more than one point.

The other ideas was a very Limited Flight (perhaps rank 0, because the character moves at only 2 miles per hour, and in any event Limited to only one foot or so off the ground... and Subtle). Flight already grants the other required abilities (immunity to Tremorsense, earthquakes, being slowed by terrain or being tracked). It wouldn't allow Water-Walking since it's basically projecting just enough force downward to lift the character above the ground.

I thought of two ways to handle the same ability, and of course there may be other ways of handling this that I haven't thought of. Any pointers?

Re: Floating power (floating above the ground)

Trackless under Movement matches up for not being able to be Tracked or detected by Tremorsense. Possibly worth mentioning that, weird as it may sound, Flight does not protect you from being tripped or otherwise rendered Prone.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    Trackless under Movement matches up for not being able to be Tracked or detected by Tremorsense. Possibly worth mentioning that, weird as it may sound, Flight does not protect you from being tripped or otherwise rendered Prone.
    I thought Air Walking had a Quirk that lets you be knocked Prone (saving 1 point), but it doesn't matter to the character in question (if they get knocked prone, they should fall prone, although they may end up a foot off the ground, which would not save them from damage if knocked off a cliff, etc).

So it seems I needed to focus on Movement: Trackless, Sure-Footed X, and Water-Walking 1 (Limited to Solid Surfaces), not Flight or Feature. I don't know how many ranks of Sure-Footed to buy, as the objective is to never suffer from those kinds of movement penalties. On the other hand, I think this would enable to character to "tightrope walk" which isn't quite what I'm aiming at.

OPA Belta

Air-Walking's quirk is that being knocked Prone makes you fall.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Air-Walking's quirk is that being knocked Prone makes you fall.
    Thanks.

I think I only need Sure-Footed 2, as Environment generally only lets you impede 2. (Of course, what if you use Environment: Impede Movement on already-difficult terrain?)

OPA Belta

Do keep in mind that Sure Footed is more expensive than the speed it keeps you from losing.
    Buy Speed Limited to negating terrain penalties instead.

OPA Belta

Most Movement abilities are very overpriced compared to a single rank in Flight. Optionally, Limit the Flight so that you have to stay within a certain distance of the ground.

Separate topic, but because of this exact issue, I think Flight is underpriced. Best fix I can think of would be to start it at a smaller movement rate; for example -3 instead of 1. Perhaps a new version of the system could fix this.

The problem with Flight is, the 1st rank is disproportionately useful, but after that the benefit trails off. I would charge 5pp for the 1st rank and 1pp/rank after that.

OPA Belta

Hovering - 1pp
    (Flight 1, Subtle, Limited: Only a foot from the ground, Quirk: Slower than normal movement)

This seems to fit all your specs, so I don't find a 1pp Feature for the power to be underpriced at all.
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes, Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts and Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab.