Thread: Ghost Town: First Frights (Recruiting, seeking newbies)

Keeper of Secrets

Ghost Town: First Frights (Recruiting, seeking newbies)

Newcomer Player Version

Sound and Fury, Emerald City's annual music festival was planned to end with a Native American band, the Longbowz, performing live at the Native American Cultural Center. However, a valuable artifact and the centerpiece of the museum's collection was stolen as the music festival began! After police investigation turned up no leads, the mayor has entrusted our intrepid heroes with finding the artifact and bringing it back before the show is ruined. Little do the heroes realize that their search will lead them into the shadowy realm of an ancient terror, and all of Emerald City is at stake.

About the game:
    This will be a one-shot run of the Ghost Town scenario for 4 players. I've made some small changes here and there, but it's mostly intact.
    I've decided to run two instances of this, one for experienced players and one for newer players. This is the one for beginner players. I'll trust everyone to appropriately determine which they should apply for, but anyone who applies to both is getting last place priority. If there's not enough submissions for one, I'll pull PCs from the other to fill the gap. If you don't want to be cross-picked this way, please mention it in your application.
    The intended tone of the game is fairly bright: Things are bad at first but everyone gets their happily ever after (except the bad guy). Don't bring The Gunisher, think more Sat-AM Justice League or Spider Man.

About me:
    I've GMed M&M and I've played M&M in a PBP, but never GMed a PBP. So I figure I might as well throw my hat in the ring and get my feet under me the easy way by running a module I've played through before.
    I'm fairly optimization-friendly and don't expect people to waste PPs on flavor if they don't want to, but that's not a blank ticket to the House of Cheese. I like seeing interesting mechanics come together in innovative ways.
    I expect myself to be able to post at least daily, likely more often if needed. I don't expect players to be quite that fast, but please be able to get posts up within 36-48 hours so we can keep things moving.

House Rules:
    Removable and Easily Removable are now Complications instead of Flaws. You'll get Hero Points instead of Power Points.
    Immortality, Space Travel, Time Travel, Dimensional Travel, and the Dimensional extra are all strongly discouraged on the grounds they'd be worthless to have.
    This isn't a house rule per-se, but do note that most of the adventure takes place in a pocket-dimension segregated from modern technology. Charging your phone or getting more bullets might be problematic, and powers depending on satelites/power cables/underground pipes/etc will quickly be useless.

Characters:
    Power Level 10, 160pp. Keep in mind that this will be somewhat on-rails since it's a module, so Complications relating to your character's history are unlikely to occur.
    PCs are part of a super-hero group, the Emerald Tower. You may invent your own reasons and circumstances for having joined, including any relevant background NPCs.
    I would also like to request that everyone run through A Fistful of Nazis with their submission as though they were both player and GM for a PBP game and post a pastebin of it. This is optional, but it'll give me an idea of who your character is, how you'll play them, and what you're like as a player. Think of it as a free chance to wow me.

Other Notes:
    I intend to run this here on Ronin, but will move to Echoes if a bunch of people feel strongly.
    Recruitment closes on the 1th of July, PDT.
    Last edited by Nunya B; 06-13-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Ghost Town: First Frights

Post reserved for GM's note pad

Re: Ghost Town: First Frights (Recruiting, seeking newbies)

Neutron
    Alias: LP.
    Profession: Former handyman turned full time superhero.
    Ethnicity: African American.
    Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 190 lbs.
    Hair: Black (almost always shaved bald).
    Eyes: Black.
    Place Of Birth: Freedom City, USA.
    Religion: Baptist.
    Identity: Public.
    Group Affiliation: The Sentinels.
    Base Of Operations: Emerald City.
    Legal Status: American citizen with no criminal record.
    Marital Status: Divorced.
    Family: Walter (father, deceased), Glenda (mother, deceased), Devin (son), Tanya (ex-wife).
    Education: High School Graduate.
    Quote: "It's time to be a hero!"
    Power Level - 10
    Power Points - 160
    Hero Point - 1
    Concept - Energy Controller.
    Bodycast - Israel Idonije.
    Celebrity Voiceover - Michael Dorn.

Abilities -

Strength - 3
    Stamina - 3
    Agility - 3
    Dexterity - 0
    Fighting - 3
    Intellect - 0
    Awareness - 2
    Presence - 3

Advantages - All-out Attack, Benefit 1 (Status - As a publicly known superhero), Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Favored Environment (Airborne), Instant Up, Interpose, Precise Attack 1 (Ranged, Cover), Teamwork.

Skills - Ranged Combat: Energy Control 5 (+0), Expertise - Current Events 6 (+0), Intimidation 7 (+10), Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 4 (+7), Insight 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+7).

Powers - Note - All powers have the Plasma Descriptor.

Energy Control (Plasma) Array (25 points) with 3 Alternate Effects. =

Base power - Pinpoint Blast - Ranged Damage (Plasma) 12, Extra - Precise. (25 pp)

Alternate Effect - Energy Manipulation - Deflect 12, Extras - Reflect, Redirect. Flaw - Limited to energy attacks. (1 pp)

Alternate Effect - Neutrino Energy Burst - Burst Area Damage (Plasma) 10, Extra - Penetrating 4. (1 pp)

Alternate Effect - Dazzle - Ranged Affliction 12, (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware), Extra - Cumulative, Flaw - Limited to one sense (vision). (1 pp)

Energy Immunity - Immunity 5 (Plasma damage). (5 pp)

Plasma Force Field - Protection 10, Extras - Impervious, Sustained. (20 pp)

Energy Sense - Senses (Mental) 1 (Energy Type Awareness). (1 pp)

Plasma Energy Form - Insubstantial 3 (Plasma), Extra - Activation (Move Action). (14 pp)

Flight 7 (250 mph, 2640 ft/Rd.). (14 pp)

Offense - Initiative +3, Energy Control +5, Unarmed +3, Grab +3, Ranged Damage 12, Burst Area Damage 10, Dazzle 12 (Resistance Check = Fort. vs 22), Close Damage 3.

Defense - Dodge +4/7, Parry +2/5, Fortitude +5/8, Toughness +3/*13, Will +6/8

* - Only when Plasma Force Field is activated.

Complications -

Motivation (Responsibility) = Neutron is quite aware of the potential collateral damage his powers can cause and so must control himself during combats. He also tries to be as heroic as possible, hoping to set a good example for the people of America.

Motivation (Acceptance) = Despite his fame and good deeds, Neutron is regarded as a "sell out" by many if not most of the people in the West End area in Freedom City, his hometown. Thus he seeks to gain their respect.

Fame = Neutron's "secret" identity as Lloyd E. Price is well known across the country and thus must deal with the pressures and problems that fame often brings.

Relationships = Several people define Lloyd's life for better or worse -

Tanya Cooper (ex-wife), Devin (8 year old son). Though divorced and rarely sees his son, Neutron still looks after their best interests.

Corrina Cadeau ( His agent. See history below.).

Reverend Darren Morris ( His pastor in the Holy Divinity Church back home in The West End. Neutron counts him as a close friend and adviser although he does not go to the church as often as he would have liked, not wanting to bring trouble to the church such as supervillains seeking vengeance or pesky paparazzi.)

Enemy = Blackstar (from the Cosmic Handbook pages 101-104). He and Neutron had clashed several times and are bitter foes. Blackstar had made the enmity between them even worse by publicly threatening to kill Neutron's son.

Powers -

Neutron can create, shape and manipulate plasma, a state of matter consisting of highly ionized white gaseous-like energy of low density. He uses the plasma for various effects such as creating an energy blast similar to heat lasers or to release the blast over a wider area, a glowing plasma force field around his body and intensely bright bursts of light.

Neutron can also transform his entire body into pure plasma energy and can even manipulate other forms of energy by channeling and altering its direction. This type of energy manipulation also allows him to fly.

Neutron can resist plasma energy damage including his own and has a kind of "sixth sense" for detecting types of energy nearby.

Neutron in his plasma energy form:

History -

Lloyd Price never seemed to have all the lucky breaks after high school especially living in The West End neighborhood of Freedom City. Not affording a college education was one strike against him while holding down menial jobs to barely make ends meet was another. Facing a bitter (and costly) divorce and child custody battle, Lloyd swallowed his pride and took a shady job with no questions asked for a equally shady company called PureTek.

Lloyd was supposed to transport some containers of toxic waste to an illegal dump site. He was led to believe by his employers that it was somewhere at sea, far off the coast of Freedom City. But when he found out the site was actually located at Hawkins Lawn, a public park right near the Trinity Hospital in West End, he outright refused to continue and go along with the whole damn thing and threatened to go to the police...

...And almost got his body riddled with bullets for his noble though rash defiance as he quickly jumped out the way. There was an sudden explosion, some glowing goo from the ruptured steel drum canisters, intense white-hot energy...then screams as Lloyd suddenly hovered in mid air and then flew straight at the gunmen in rage, his body glowing with the same intense white energies.

To this day, no one not even Lloyd knew how he gained superpowers (was it because of the radiation of the toxic waste, latent mutant genes or something else entirely?) but he knew after talking to his pastor he was given them for a reason. He helped the FBI and the city's district attorney turned states evidence against PureTek and shut down their illegal operations.

Shortly afterwards Lloyd made his first public appearance as Neutron (He had chosen the name at the last minute, based on his misunderstanding on how energy physics actually worked.) when he saved several people from the deadly Blackstar who nearly caused an downtown office building to collapse on them while attempting to steal a prototype portable energy cell. They fought each other to a standstill before Blackstar fled the area when AEGIS agents showed up in force.

One of the civilians he had saved was an aspiring fashion designer/advertising consultant named Corrina Cadeau who in gratitude created a new black and white costume for Neutron to replace the drab hooded leather duster and khakis ensemble he was wearing during the fight with Blackstar.

She also made him her first client for her new PR company, CC Promotions, promoting and licensing his name and image for endorsements such as his own comic book series in Castle Comics and the Neutronix Wheat Pops™ breakfast cereal and Neutron Energy Drink™ from the Fordham Foods company.

Of course most of the money he makes goes to various charities throughout the country and to his family while saving just enough to support himself.

While Lloyd was not entirely comfortable with all of this somewhat shameless media exposure and knows that other superheroes would (perhaps rightly) accuse him of being a corporate shill, he reluctantly realized that given the present day of constant web blogs, one needed all the good press one can get.

Recently, Neutron accepted an offer to join Emerald City's resident superhero team.

Abilities - 34, Powers - 82, Advantages - 10, Skills - 17, Defenses - 17, = 160 total.

Keeper of Secrets

Wow, the bar's been set pretty high right from the start. Looks great!
    I love the idea of commercializing himself for charity.

Three notes I'd have, none of which need any work if you're fine with them:
    1: I notice he's under cap for his Energy Control attacks other than the Neutrino Energy Burst. This is fine if you're fine with it.
    2: Deflect is capped by power level the same way Dodge and Parry are, so if he used his Energy Manipulation to defend himself he wouldn't be getting full ranks unless he turned off his Plasma Force Field.
    3: So that it's not an always-on, I would rule Favored Environment (Airborne) to require both he and his opponent(s) be in the air. There will be at least one fight against flying enemies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Wow, the bar's been set pretty high right from the start. Looks great!
    I love the idea of commercializing himself for charity.

Three notes I'd have, none of which need any work if you're fine with them:
    1: I notice he's under cap for his Energy Control attacks other than the Neutrino Energy Burst. This is fine if you're fine with it.
    2: Deflect is capped by power level the same way Dodge and Parry are, so if he used his Energy Manipulation to defend himself he wouldn't be getting full ranks unless he turned off his Plasma Force Field.
    3: So that it's not an always-on, I would rule Favored Environment (Airborne) to require both he and his opponent(s) be in the air. There will be at least one fight against flying enemies though.
    I'm fine with Point 1. In hindsight i could have removed the Impervious extra from the force field to add to the array but decided leave it as is as given that the fact he is mindful of causing collateral damage so perhaps subconsciously Neutron is making the energy attacks less effective than it should be.

2: i could make the limit that the deflect and force field won't work at the same time worth +0.

3: I agree about the airborne advantage and have both opponents in flight for it to be effective. Will have to write it down so i won't forget.

Keeper of Secrets

The force field is Sustained, so he can just flick it off if he wants the full benefit of Energy Manipulation on himself. No limit needed!

Inceptor

Hey there! Followed Nunya B from Echoes boards, where we both applied to a game, and thought I'd give their game here a shot. I came up with an idea that might be fun to give a shot, and since Shadow Mask's character, Neutron hails from Emerald City, I could use that as a basis for the character.

Base concept would be a Social Worker who got abducted by some cultists, while he was trying to assist the homeless who live in the Maze, the Underground of Emerald City. They used his body as a host for some demonic ritual, summoning, and while the creature subsumed the host's body, the social worker's strong will was able to repress the demon's base instincts. So now, trapped in the body of a demon, he attempts to continue his work with the poor and the downtrodden of Emerald City.

While it's a tad darker, it is akin to Ben Grimm, or even Ghost Rider, trying to over come a monstrous appearance & reputation, and doesn't have to be horribly 90's Iron Age. I was curious if such a concept would fly with you Nunya, and if so I can stat it out, come up with a more detailed background, and run the character through their paces using the Fistful of Nazi's.

Let me know, and thanks for your time!

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Krypton View Post
    Hey there! Followed Nunya B from Echoes boards, where we both applied to a game, and thought I'd give their game here a shot. I came up with an idea that might be fun to give a shot, and since Shadow Mask's character, Neutron hails from Emerald City, I could use that as a basis for the character.

Base concept would be a Social Worker who got abducted by some cultists, while he was trying to assist the homeless who live in the Maze, the Underground of Emerald City. They used his body as a host for some demonic ritual, summoning, and while the creature subsumed the host's body, the social worker's strong will was able to repress the demon's base instincts. So now, trapped in the body of a demon, he attempts to continue his work with the poor and the downtrodden of Emerald City.

While it's a tad darker, it is akin to Ben Grimm, or even Ghost Rider, trying to over come a monstrous appearance & reputation, and doesn't have to be horribly 90's Iron Age. I was curious if such a concept would fly with you Nunya, and if so I can stat it out, come up with a more detailed background, and run the character through their paces using the Fistful of Nazi's.

Let me know, and thanks for your time!
    That sounds like it'd work great!

Inceptor

Brimstone, the Devil Spawn

Occupation: Adventurer; Former Caseworker Child & Family Services
    Education: B.S. Psychology & Childhood Education
    Date of Birth: November 17, 1989 [29 yrs.]
    Base of Operations: The Maze, Emerald City, WA
    Height: 1.85m [6'1"]
    Weight: 83kg [183 lbs.]
    Eyes: Embers, smoldering.
    Hair: None.
    Race: Caucasian
    Identity: Secret
    Legal Status: Citizen of the United States; Missing, presumed dead.
    Relationships:
    • Michael Gibson [Father, age 57]
    • Claire Gibson [Mother, age 55]
    • Melanie Gibson [Sister, age 26]

Background: Gerald was born in Emerald City, and raised in Royal Heights. His father, Michael was a successful Investment Banker, his firm handling the finances of Brande Management, one of the more influential diversified tech firms in the city. While his mother worked as a program coordinator for KJHL Channel 11 News. Due to his privileged upbringing he attended the prestigious Mallory College earning his Bachelor's degree in both Psychology & Childhood Education. However, he had long since decided that he didn't wish to live the vapid, high society life style that his parents had chosen for him, and so, on graduation, he accepted a position with Child & Family Services as a Case Worker. This set him at odds with his parents, however his younger sister applauded his decision, as she had been disowned on introducing her girlfriend to the family. His father suffered a heart attack in early 2014, and during recovery the two reconciled their differences, ending with his father retiring his position and supporting his daughter's alternative lifestyle.

In late 2015, Gerald began to review a series of missing persons inquires that had been filed by the homeless population of the city, which had been largely ignored by the police. With the assistance of Officer Mihaela Rivera, a dedicated ECPD beat cop, they proceeded to investigate the Undercity, an area where most of the missing persons made their residency. Penetrating deeper, through the modernized areas of the Undercity, Gibson & Rivera made their way through the Maze. Cloaked cultists attacked the duo, causing them to become separated within the warren-like Maze. By the time Officer Rivera returned with back up, she was unable to find any evidence of the initial ambush or her friend's location.

Gerald awoke in a large cathedral like chamber, surrounded by hooded figures, he was chained to the floor a disquieting hewn symbol beneath him. A oblong center, surrounded by three rough crescents facing inward, branching outwards from the crescents, large hooked spirals, trailing into the darkness. Candles burned a dirty yellow smoke, set equidistant on the outward spirals, the hooded figures were chanting now, the smoke, coalesced into something, solid, snaked towards him, cloying sweetness, rancid, like meat filled his nostrils, forced it's way down his throat to the core of his being, he began to buck and heave. A tall figure pulled back his hood, a symbol, same as the one on which Gerald writhed was carved into the flesh of his forehead. He creamed, until his voice was raw, his cries but a whimper. The hooded man nodded and the cult approached, torches once held aloft no descended. And then, he burned.

Complications:
    Motivation: Acceptance: While his body was consumed by the otherworldly flames and inhabited by a presence from the Outer Planes, his own spirit was able to wrest control of his body from the possessing intelligence. However, the ritual fires consumed his body, transforming it into the abomination that it currently is, a dedicates, monstrous form, driven only by the strength of Gibson's will. Gibson was last seen alive in 2015, almost three years ago, as such he has been declared missing and presumed dead. He has not yet reached out to his family to inform them that he is alive, as he is concerned the reaction he would receive will be similar to that of those that flee from his freakish form. He continues to use his otherworldly flames to protect those weaker than himself, the dispossessed, homeless of Emerald City, some of whom have accepted him as one of their own.
    Power Loss: The spirit that has subsumed Gerald's body was summoned to our world from the Outer Planes, and as such it is vulnerable to Magical Wards & Sigils which can limit it's ability to summon the otherworldly flames that surround and fuel it's body. Should a Ritualist of sufficient skill be aware of Brimstone's true nature, as the higher tier Cultists who summoned him most assuredly are, they could inscribe a Magical Ward to prevent Brimstone from using his Hellfire Array, thereby limiting his offensive capabilities, making him much easier to capture or imprison.
    Prejudice: Due to his demonic visage he suffers a -5 circumstance penalty to any Interaction check other than Intimidation. Only upon establishing a relationship with someone can begin to lessen that circumstance penalty, should he make an action which reveals his heroic nature then the penalty drops to -2, a further act of heroism will result in the negation of the circumstance penalty to checks, however their attitude towards him may still remain cautious until it is improved through Persuasion or further interactions.
    Relationship/Responsibility: Gerald has revealed his true nature to only two people who knew him in his previous life. Detective Mihaela Rivera and a Lawyer at the Legal Aid Office, Randall Carter. Rivera and Carter are able to assist Brimstone in the event that he needs assistance with the pursuit of the Cultists who plague the homeless of the Maze. He has been accepted by the Homeless who make their homes in the Maze, and as such he feels a great responsibility to them, to protect them, and aid them wherever, whenever, he can.
    Temper: As much as Gerald's almost Iron Will is able to keep the otherworldly presence in check, it is an intelligence fueled by rage and violence, and there can be times where the demon within rages to break it's chain and indulge in mindless violence.
    Weakness: Effects with the Holy descriptor will bypass Brimstone's regeneration entirely, and the power to fail, meaning it must be recovered after one hour.

Dessicated, leather-like skin; yellowed, burnt bone spurs protruding from body; empty sockets with ember like coals & wisps of smoke. Surrounded by a corona of yellow-green flames when Hellfire Aura active.

Attributes: 14 + 22 + 0 + 0 + 12 + 0 + 8 + 0 = 56PP
    Strength: 7
    Stamina: 11
    Agility: 0
    Dexterity: 0
    Fighting: 6
    Intelligence: 0
    Awareness: 4
    Presence: 0

Defenses: 7 + 1 + 0 + 5 = 13PP
    Dodge: 7 [0 AGI, 7R]
    Parry: 7 [6 FGT, 1 R]
    Toughness: 13 [11 STA, Protection]
    Fortitude: 11 [11 STA]
    Will: 9 [4 AWE, 5R]

Advantages: 8PP
    Accurate Attack
    Connected
    Fearless
    Improved Initiative 1
    Interpose
    Power Attack
    Ritualist
    Startle

Skills: 60R = 30PP
    Athletics 3 (+10)
    Expertise: Magic 10 (+10)
    Insight 6 (+10)
    Intimidation 15 (+15)
    Perception 6 (+10)
    Persuasion 10 (+10)
    Stealth 10 (+10)

Powers: 34 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 5 + 2 = 53PP
    Damage 14 (Channeled Hellfire; DC 29, Range: 350/700/1400, Extra: Accurate 3, Ranged (+1/R), Variable Descriptor 1 (Fire, Spirit); 2 AE's) [34PP]
    • Damage 10 (Spewed Hellfire; DC 25, 60' Cone, Extra: Cone, Area (+1/R), Selective (+1/R), Variable Descriptor (Fire, Spirit))
    • Damage 7 (Hellfire Aura; DC 29 [DC22], Extra: Strength Based, Reaction 3 (Melee Contact) (+3/R, 7 Ranks Only), Variable Descriptor (Fire, Spirit))

Immunity 6 (Born in Fire; Damage: Fire, Environmental Condition: Extreme Heat) [6PP]
    Leaping 2 (Hellish Prowess; 30' at 8 mph) [2PP]
    Movement 2 (Hellish Strength; Wall Crawling 2: Full Speed, Flaw: Limited: Material TOU must be less than STR (-1/R)) [2PP]
    Protection 2 (Bone Spurs) [2PP]
    Regeneration 5 (Demonic Resilience; Every 2 Rnds) [5PP]
    Senses 2 (Hell Sight; Darkvision) [2PP]

Abilities [56PP] + Defenses [13PP] + Advantages [8PP] + Skills [30PP] + Powers [53PP] = 160PP

Combat:
    Initiative: +4 [0 AGI, Improved Initiative 1]
    Unarmed: +6 Attack, DC 22 TOU [Melee, Crit: 20]
    • Unarmed [Hellfire Aura]: +6 Attack, DC 29 TOU [Melee, Crit: 20]
    • Hellfire Aura: -, DC 22 [Reaction on Melee Contact]

Channeled Hellfire: +6 Attack, DC 29 TOU [Range: 350/700/1400, Crit: 20]
    Spew Hellfire: DC 20 Dodge; DC 25 [20] TOU [Melee, 60' Cone]

Hellfire Aura is likely to be the most obvious interpretation of a Reaction damage effect. A Damage 7 effect with Reaction [Melee Contact], however, it was purchased with Strength Based, but only 7 Ranks of Reaction were purchased. As such, anyone who makes Melee contact would suffer a Damage 7 Effect, DC 22 TOU. However, if he punches someone he hits them with the Damage 7 & his Strength of 7, for a DC 29 TOU effect, the STR portion having the Unarmed or Blunt descriptor, and the Hellfire Portion having either the Fire or Spirit descriptor. Anyone immune to 1 of the 2 effects would only take a Damage (or STR) 7 Effect, DC 22. Hope my interpretation is correct.
    Last edited by Ghost of Krypton; 06-15-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Krypton View Post
    Brimstone, the Devil Spawn
    Looks great! I had some questions about Complications and Connected until I noticed you edited your post, so thanks for answering before I could ask.
    Your interpretation for Hellfire Aura is quite reasonable, no issues there.