Thread: Any Advice for Statting Villains

UN Basic Recipient

Any Advice for Statting Villains

So, I'm brand new to Mutants and Masterminds, but I've been wanting to run a campaign with the system for some time now. I have a whole campaign written up, but I'm not sure how to properly stat villains for my campaign. Maybe I'm just not used to the concept of statting Mutants and Masterminds as opposed to something along the lines of 5e, or Pathfinder, but nevertheless, I've got a few months to set this campaign up, and I need some help in statting my key villains.

I wasn't going to ask for a lot, but maybe some guidelines on how to create mutants and masterminds villains for a group of 8 PL 8 players. The concept was a highschool hero campaign where players would be mentored by a retired hero overseeing their operations in the world against a new generation of villains. Any advice for statting these three villains would be quite helpful;

1. Raijin - A sword-wielding assassin who strikes at the speed of light with a sword blessed by a god of thunder. An Anti-hero who borders on the path of becoming a Villain, Raijin sells his skills as a swift and silent assassin for hire as a mercenary. He has been hired by the city's crimelord, Midas, to help remove any unwanted pests. Despite wearing armor reminiscent of a metal-clad ninja, Raijin can move at impossible speeds, appearing and disappearing in near instances to most any outdoor space. With a lightning sword capable of deflecting energy attacks, yet sharp enough to cut through most metals, I was hoping for him to be a tough villain/boss fight who could possibly take out the heroes if they're not careful.

2. Queen Hornet - A drug lord and human/wasp hybrid, Queen Hornet creates both Pheromones and wasp eggs thanks to her "gifts" and sells them overseas on the black market. She has a natural, chitinous armor covering her flesh, but wears fanciful clothes on top of it. With the capability of producing swarms of wasps and hornets, she primarily uses them as her means of attack, while her wings and twin stingers that sprout from her back give her the flight and poisonous offensive powers she needs to hold her own. Aside from the minions and fools she hires/seduces to serve her, and the swarms of eggs, she controls various insects and has strong enough poison to cripple enemies enough to help her escape. I was planning on her being someone they encounter after her eggs hatch and cause chaos for a while before dying in a mistaken shipment, which traces the heroes back to her drug operation, which is slowly beginning to spread to their school.

3. Leprechaun - Leader of the Irish Mafia, This cruel and relentless crime lord sees those who don't comply as a stain under his boot. While he goes about offering protection to those who pay him, and beating down those who disrespect him, no-one suspects that he's actually a Leprechaun. With a lucky golden coin on his person, Leprechaun has his special resource to make sure things always go his way. With the coin, he can manipulate luck on his side to prevent himself from being the subject of attacks, using his signature golden-plated pistols and machine-gun for any confrontation he faces off against. Without it, he's a dangerous, violent and volatile maniac who will fight tooth and nail to get it back, happy to risk killing thousands of people for his piece of luck again. Considering that I've got 2 heroes on my team based on Fey mythology, I felt adding a fey-themed villain would be a nice touch, and I'm a big fan of how he's come out, but I'm just a tad unsure how to work powers for him.

I might be thinking about it the wrong way, as I'm not sure how to balance out individual character PL with Villain PL. Any advice/help is appreciated!

OPA Belta

Re: Any Advice for Statting Villains

Basically any single villain is going to get action economy'd to death against an 8 man team. With that many PCs you basically have to throw villain teams at them.
    That said, http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=26165 has solid guidelines.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Basically any single villain is going to get action economy'd to death against an 8 man team. With that many PCs you basically have to throw villain teams at them.
    That said, http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=26165 has solid guidelines.
    Thank you so much for the link, it's really helpful with balancing things out!
    As for balancing the villains against my heroes, ultimately, I think my players want an interesting story to play through rather than a desire to stick to most of the solid mechanics for the system, so I might wind up giving some of the villains extra turns, as well as plenty of minions to fight against them. I'm not sure if Mutants and Masterminds supports such a thing, but it would also be a way to help balance out scenes of drama where they find themselves against a hero stronger than they'd thought they'd face before.

I was already working on creating a few teams of villains to already fight against the heroes; Queen Hornet having a Bane-like enforcer in her employ, Biofuse, as well as Radwave, a radiation-themed villain who works alongside them. Leprechaun having Goldilocks and Grizzly, a twin, robbery duo, one with magic, iron-hard hair, and the other with the strength and ferocity of an enormous, vicious bear. Most of the villains I've offered have some sort of group they're already working together with, and I've got about 40+ villain ideas in mind for a wide-spanning campaign.

My main issue with the idea is understanding how to properly stat these guys. I've helped a few players stat out their heroes, but I'm only half sure that I got it right.

OPA Belta

Giving the villains extra turns is a good idea that should help. Minions will help too, but be warned that a hero who is good at taking out minions can be terrifyingly good at doing so.

As far as statting them out is concerned: The big thing to remember is that villains have no PP budget. You can just throw together the powers and stats you feel they should have and the only time you'll have to think about PP is if somebody brings a Weaken to bear. Just keep Power Level in mind so you don't wind up throwing Galactuszilla at your party and things should work out.
    If you're not comfortable with just winging it, there's three good resources available to help:
    - Hero Lab has a free trial version that can check your math for you. It won't save unless you buy the full version, but you can still plug someone in to check things. This is what I'd suggest most, since it'll let you play with the numbers in realtime and see if you're making any mistakes in your own math.
    - You can post some characters here and ask us to proofread them. Problem is that your players might blunder onto the site and see what you post. We're also unfortunately not an inexhaustible fountain of proofreading or always available.
    - You could PM a character to me and I could proofread it and PM the results back to you. This would be perfectly safe from prying player eyes, but I am more exhaustible and less available.