Thread: Now announcing Great Bastards, new massive SIFRP PbP game

OPA Belta

Now announcing Great Bastards, new massive SIFRP PbP game

Where is it: http://greatbastards.boards.net/

What it is: It's a play by post RPG, with room for loads of players, the format encourages interactions between the various PC's, but there's also tonnes of scripted materials to make an overarching story. The setting is just before the First Blackfyre Rebellions, and characters like Bittersteel, Bloodraven, Daemon Blackfyre and others from that era will make an appearance. Looming in the background is of course the growing tensions between the Blackfyre supporters and the Targaryen loyalists, with various conflicts and scores to settle between the two sides bobbling to the surface. There are a number of pre-generated characters that you may pick up (though you'd have to do some work because none are as developed as a full PC would be), but you're welcome to make a brand new character from scratch also.

What it is not: A railroad, although since there are a lot of scripted scenes, and some players are likely going to go out and explore the world to create story by their own efforts, there should be enough things happening for PC's to involve themselves in the story.

How much time does it take: However much you want to use on it. In my experience, this format caters well to players wanting to post in the IC multiple times a day as well as to players preferring a few times a week, the way it works is that the IC is structured in many distinct scenes playing out some time during the same IC day, the more active PC's can be posting in multiple scenes while less active can restrict themselves somewhat.

Is this the sequel to Southron Ambitions, Blood in the Water and/or Dragonsdance? A sequel in spirit, it follows the same format, and strives to take the best elements of each. Though it exists in it's own universe, there are a few shout-outs to those games, however.

So how many players will you take? For the next two weeks, nobody will be turned down, after that I may have to restrict intake depending on workload.

OPA Belta

Re: Now announcing Great Bastards, new massive SIFRP PbP game

I loved running Dragon's Dance, and I was very sad to have to stop running it to focus on Doomtown Reloaded playtesting instead, as much as a joy as I find that game.

From a quick scout of this new play by forum game it looks excellent, thoroughly recommended. A tremendous amount of work has clearly gone in to this and it would be great if some old faces from previous campaign showed up. I had a great time playing in Southron Ambitions and Blood in the Water, which inspired me to create Dragon's Dance. I hope new and old players get to enjoy this campaign too, nice to see a few former players over there already.

OPA Belta

Sounds really cool. I wish you the best of luck with this project.

UN Basic Recipient

This sounds very interesting! I am curious though and hope I say this right, but most of the play by posts I've seen (never partaken in I'm afraid) seem to be the Narrator posting then players responding. It sounds like this one is more about players interacting with players, then responding to the DM posts (less frequent). Which has me wondering with it being so driven by the characters, will the characters be making all the typical rolls and such they would if the Narrator was challenging them, or are they free to use their own cut scenes so to say, when it would have been a test otherwise? Example, a character decides his character is in a brawl and instead of rolling, just narrates the fight.

I hope that makes sense. I'm going to be doing some digging around and if I manage to figure out what I'm doing I just might finally give this a try if you'll have me. Thanks!

OPA Belta

It is a lot more about players interacting with players, yes. There'll be NPC participation and there are structured events planned to provide things to build the PC's stories around, but with all the players about, most of their interaction needs to be with fellow players because I don't think I can juggle enough NPC's to provide full immersion for everyone, and I probably shouldn't even attempt it.

How players resolve scenes among themselves are largely up to them, the rules are there if needed.

UN Basic Recipient

I can't access the Forums right now, so will have to wait with my posts for tomorrow!