Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help working a power out

Inceptor

Re: Need help working a power out

Thank you. This has been shaping up nicely. While Affliction looks cleaner and plays more elegantly, I am inclined to go Weaken because of its granularity. It's play by post anyway, so I'm not shying away from bookkeeping.

The fluff is a hearty roar. I am aware that they could partially or totally deafen themselves. Maybe that's a bad idea?

Speaking of bad ideas, how about linking duplicate powers but one hits Will, the other Fort? Been done before? Boring?

Inceptor

Dazzle, fear, psychological

Quote Originally Posted by kamotetop View Post
    The fluff is a hearty roar. I am aware that they could partially or totally deafen themselves. Maybe that's a bad idea?
    That's a good justification for Perception Area (Auditory). Selective is a little tricky, but narratively not frightening allies with your intimidation powers is pretty normal, so I might allow it, or maybe make it a Custom Extra (Allies get +5 to save vs power).

Deafening themselves could be a simple Complication that a GM might throw in for certain circumstances, like roaring in close quarters or an echo-y environment, or it could be a Side Effect that requires a Fort Check. I always favour Complications.

Dazzle, fear, psychological
    I assume these are the Descriptors. "Dazzle" is really a subtype of Affliction that only affects Senses. so the descriptor should be Auditory. Fear is good, meaning that this is a Will-resisted effect.

While Affliction looks cleaner and plays more elegantly, I am inclined to go Weaken because of its granularity. It's play by post anyway, so I'm not shying away from bookkeeping.
    I'd still lean toward Affliction. Since it seems you're "scaring" targets into slowing down, I think Will Checks to overcome their fear (manifesting as Hindered/Immobilized Conditions) at the end of every round fits the concept better than a predictable and consistent recovery from Weaken. (I also use a "staged recovery" houserule for overcoming Afflicted conditions so that a 2nd or 3rd Degree Condition can't be overcome by a single one-degree success to overcome.)

Speaking of bad ideas, how about linking duplicate powers but one hits Will, the other Fort? Been done before? Boring?
    Technically you can't Link the same effect and stack the results like "double Damage", and this would apply to Weakens targeting the same trait. If it was two different Weakens (or Affliction) that didn't stack with each other it would be more reasonable, although something like Weakening the resistance trait that the other Weaken targets can be considered overpowered. This does have precedent (Corrosion/Disintegration are Weaken Toughness Linked to Damage) but will still make an experienced GM wary.

In the context of your roar concept, the Will component would be psychological Fear, but a Fort component would be what? Organ failure due to Fear? Penetrating sound waves dislodging your viscera in a way that slows you down and nothing else? I might recommend Fort-resisted Close Damage in a Burst Area (or maybe a Cone in front of the roarer) to represent being caught too near the source of sound and taking internal damage from it, Linked to the Will-resisted Weaken Movement (or Affliction) in an Auditory Perception Area. Or if you don't like Damage, maybe a different Affliction like Daze/Stun (losing actions due to pain/disorientation) or Daze/Prone (losing footing and falling over).
    Last edited by JDRook; 06-12-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Inceptor

Thank you very much.

One other thing, there has been discussion about Check Required. Is skillless check required still a flat -1 quirk? Is removing the possibility of modifiers worth more? GM fiat?

Again, thank you very much. You've all been helpful.