Thread: What exactly does using 3d6 or 2d10 look like compared to the base game?

OPA Belta

What exactly does using 3d6 or 2d10 look like compared to the base game?

Or "3d20, take middle".

I know these are designed to make the middle outcome happen more often, but I don't know what that looks like. Do you find hits land more often or something?

UN Basic Recipient

Re: What exactly does using 3d6 or 2d10 look like compared to the base game?

For the matter of hits landing more often, you have to examine your meta. TOU shifted characters are more efficient at low PLs while DOD becomes more relevant the higher you go.

Use your to-hit, effect rank and their defenses as modifiers to find your target number.

https://anydice.com/program/10360

OPA Belta

The short version is that easy rolls get easier and hard rolls get harder.

Because "average" rolls become more likely, the further from average the roll you need to succeed is the less likely you are to succeed. Same for failure. To give an extreme example, 18+ on a d20 is 15%, 18 on 3d6 is a bit less than 0.5%.

Moving away from 1d20 does mean you might want to adjust DCs some for tasks in your game. As others have stated, low DCs get even easier and high ones get even harder.

Depending on exactly what you change the dice to, a DC 12-13 can become about as hard as 15-16 used to be and a DC 8 be about as easy as a DC 5-6 on 1d20 is.

It also means that buying fixed bonuses on characters becomes more worth it, and that you may or may not want to change the PP cost for some of those bonuses in your game.

The differences between PLs also become more pronounced. While in Stock M&M, a 1 PL or even a 2 PL difference in a one on one fight has an advantage, it isn't overwhelming. A 2 PL difference when using 3d6 becomes MUCH more noticeable.
    Last edited by digitalangel; 06-06-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    My character library

OPA Belta

Its also, barring other rules changes, going to have some visible, and I suspect not-benign, effect on combat resistances; as it is its very difficult to get 3rd order Afflictions to stick for various reasons, with this I'd expect it to be almost impossible.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdreamer View Post
    Its also, barring other rules changes, going to have some visible, and I suspect not-benign, effect on combat resistances; as it is its very difficult to get 3rd order Afflictions to stick for various reasons, with this I'd expect it to be almost impossible.
    It'll depend, really. If your DC exceeds their Resistance bonus, either because you're effect-shifted or their tradeoff goes the wrong way, you can pretty easily slam down a few hits with Cumulative or Progressive and and shoot right to 3rd. The FORT/TOU shifted powerhouse who runs into a psychic is even more screwed than normal in a 3d6 system.
    Making likely events more likely and unlikely events more unlikely means that good matchups become better and bad matchups become worse: You're much less likely to fluke your way out of a hard spot but so is your opponent.

In another system, Planet Mercenary, they use 3d6 to do skill checks and one of the big effects it has is rewarding people who specialize because they're getting that much more bang for their buck for skill checks that are in that middle ground. Someone with no bonuses in a skill will generally get a result in the 9-12 range, the odds of them doing something extraordinary are that much less likely. Someone who's bought just 5 ranks is now routinely getting results that are a magnitude higher. That said, this is also a system where players are initially capped to a bonus of 9 in a skill, and can only add 1 point per successful mission (excepting a few random mission events that could boost a skill by a point or two), so there is a much finer range involved. It also makes critical success and failure that much more rare and precious.

Someone did the math a bit ago and Improved Critical works a bit differently if you want the same sort of ranges.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    It'll depend, really. If your DC exceeds their Resistance bonus, either because you're effect-shifted or their tradeoff goes the wrong way, you can pretty easily slam down a few hits with Cumulative or Progressive and and shoot right to 3rd. The FORT/TOU shifted powerhouse who runs into a psychic is even more screwed than normal in a 3d6 system.
    Making likely events more likely and unlikely events more unlikely means that good matchups become better and bad matchups become worse: You're much less likely to fluke your way out of a hard spot but so is your opponent.
    I don't assume either Cumulative or Progressive as the default when assessing Afflictions; in fact making taking them to get useful values even more attractive is, in and of itself, indicative of a problem to me.