Thread: Building an odd kind of gravitic sense

Unhappy Building an odd kind of gravitic sense

I'm trying to make it so that my character is able to sense, at all times, all the different gravitic forces acting upon them, mainly for the purposes of accurate interstellar travel. I want them to be able to set out from earth with a specific planet's gravity in mind, and be able to follow it all the way there.

So far, I've got Senses (Acute Analytical Detect)

Something's telling me I would need a hideously large amount of Extended additions on top of that basic chassis, but... I really hope it doesn't have to come to that. At the kind of distances we're talking about, even factoring in the fact that it scales in a factor of 10, I'd pretty quickly hit my power point cap, given that the observable universe is 91 billion light-years long. And given that one light year is 31,040,000,000,000,000 feet wide, that's a problem of magnitude so large I don't even wanna really think about it.

Even with Limited(Objects over Mass Rank 30) that would only reduce it so far...
    Last edited by Flashkannon; 06-03-2018 at 10:11 PM.

OPA Belta

Re: Building an odd kind of gravitic sense

I'd follow the Olfactory example: You can smell a BBQ from next door, but only because the smell's reached you. Doesn't need to be Ranged if all you can tell is "something thattaway is pulling me yea hard".

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    I'd follow the Olfactory example: You can smell a BBQ from next door, but only because the smell's reached you. Doesn't need to be Ranged if all you can tell is "something thattaway is pulling me yea hard".
    Your logic is sound, but... the amount of gravity that would reach earth from, say, an individual planet in Alpha Centauri would be absolutely tiny. Do you think it'd be reasonable to be detecting a pull that small?

OPA Belta

Honestly, that really does sound reasonable to me.
    I mean, you're getting a sense with fairly limited utility that also gives you glorified star-chart in your head. I personally would charge at most one PP for "always knows where all celestial bodies in the galaxy are" which is basically what your long-range thing is. More likely it'd be free with purchase of Space Travel or just as background fluff. So yeah, seems reasonable for 3 or so PP.

Protomolecule Host

I mean, it's only 30 ranks of extended, normally. That's certainly expensive, but not bank-breaking, especially if you put it in your combat array.

Cosmic Handbook has alternative rules where ranged senses drop off at -2 per distance rank above 0, and you can buy extended at 1 pp per rank to decrease your effective distance by 1 distance rank, or you can limit it to one sense for -1/rank modifier (so buying 2 ranks for 1 pp). This doesn't actually help for one sense in particular, because 1 pp translates to extending your sensory radius by 4, rather than 10, but if you want to buy multiple senses it is a bargain.

I can't exactly make it part of an array, as it also functions as the logical backing behind their abilities and flight powers. They can manipulate the way gravity applies to themselves and others by selectively choosing which sources to allow their full influence, and which to hedge out. I need both of those powers functioning at the same time.

Honestly, I'd be inclined to treat it like Direction Sense or Time Sense and just charge 1 pp for the ability to know which direction to go.
    Last edited by FuzzyBoots; 06-08-2018 at 05:29 AM.

Protomolecule Host

I think a character like that needs a Required Secondary Power to simply process all that information (take Rapid multiple times). IMO, that's just a star chart, but a really good one, so maybe Feature 3 instead of Feature 1, and the character would need to make a skill check [at a +5 bonus for Feature 3], simply to try to make sense of that massive amount of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    I think a character like that needs a Required Secondary Power to simply process all that information (take Rapid multiple times). IMO, that's just a star chart, but a really good one, so maybe Feature 3 instead of Feature 1, and the character would need to make a skill check [at a +5 bonus for Feature 3], simply to try to make sense of that massive amount of information.
    For that, I took Quickness (Mental, Limited to Trajectory, Gravity, and Timing-related matters) rank 30