Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Diabetes complication?

  1. #1
    Protomolecule Host
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Auburn Washington
    Posts
    87

    Diabetes complication?

    How would you fine people make diabetes as a mutants & masterminds complication? This is mostly for curiosities sake granted, but if anyone used it then itís fine with me!

  2. #2
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,325

    Re: Diabetes complication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abe ray View Post
    How would you fine people make diabetes as a mutants & masterminds complication? This is mostly for curiosities sake granted, but if anyone used it then itís fine with me!
    It would probably be counted as a disability wouldn't it?

    As for its use in play, It would probably be either A) Unless your character specifically says they are taking their insulin before an adventure, the GM could spring on them "You forgot to take your Insulin today" And then impose some appropriate condition. Or, alternatively a villain could learn he has Diabetes and then rig it so your hero eats something with a lot of sugar in it to put them out of commission (which is something I could see someone like the Joker or the Mad Thinker doing).
    Urge to Stat Rising: My blog where I post write ups for monsters for the Pathfinder system.

  3. #3
    MCRN Admiral FuzzyBoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,418

    Re: Diabetes complication?

    Possibly worth putting it out there that vigorous exercise (like, say, pitched combat or running across roofs) depletes blood sugar, creating it's own negative effects.

  4. #4
    OPA Belta Tattooedman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lands of Ink
    Posts
    3,980

    Re: Diabetes complication?

    As someone with diabetes I'd say having a complication about watching diet, taking meds & extreme physical activity would be the way to go.

  5. #5
    MCRN Admiral FuzzyBoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,418

    Re: Diabetes complication?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooedman View Post
    As someone with diabetes I'd say having a complication about watching diet, taking meds & extreme physical activity would be the way to go.
    Given the various cases of kids getting harassed in school by administrators, I wouldn't be surprised if there's also the occasional tabloid photo showing the hero doing an emergency insulin injection with headlines of "Captain Courage: Heroic Role-Model or Superpowered Junkie?" with no mention that what he's injecting is indeed his insulin and not, say, heroin or Psycho Serum XIII.

    That sort of storyline could work very well with the right player because it basically allows the hero to do a PSA on the subject, and being a role-model to all of the kids with diabetes, reminding them that their disease need not limit them.

  6. #6
    Protomolecule Host
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Auburn Washington
    Posts
    87

    Question Re: Diabetes complication?

    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    Given the various cases of kids getting harassed in school by administrators, I wouldn't be surprised if there's also the occasional tabloid photo showing the hero doing an emergency insulin injection with headlines of "Captain Courage: Heroic Role-Model or Superpowered Junkie?" with no mention that what he's injecting is indeed his insulin and not, say, heroin or Psycho Serum XIII.

    That sort of storyline could work very well with the right player because it basically allows the hero to do a PSA on the subject, and being a role-model to all of the kids with diabetes, reminding them that their disease need not limit them.
    Great thoughts! Now hereís a related question, how would you make diabetes work as a catalyst for a flying superpower (see the book ďeven superheroes get diabetes ď for inspiration)

  7. #7
    MCRN Admiral FuzzyBoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,418

    Re: Diabetes complication?

    After listening to it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5uKTvYN6bw, it sounds like a standard Power Loss Complication where if the person's insulin is not in the right zone, they not only get sick, but also lose their powers.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •