Thread: Create power tricks

Create power tricks

Just got back to running an M&M campaign after many years.
    One of the PC's is a Zatanna type magician with the Create power as one of her spells. Last night she wanted to create a bouncy castle under some bad guys to bounce them into the ocean. Later, she wanted to create a pig feeding trough in front of some fleeing thugs to make them trip into it.
    I allowed both actions because they were both pretty cool, but stumbled on the rules a bit. How would you run something like this?
    For the bouncy castle I gave the goons a dodge roll. If they failed they bounced into the water.
    For the pig trough I made it more of an Affliction, using Dodge to avoid. Thinking about it today though, I'm thinking it should just have been an obstacle/challenge using Acrobatics or Athletics to avoid.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I can see situations like this arising a lot.

OPA Belta

Re: Create power tricks

Bouncing them off the bouncy castle sounds like a Move Object effect, and Dodge is a perfectly reasonable resistance for that. I'd have likely done similar.
    For the trough, I think I'd have treated it as a ranged Affliction like you did. Affliction, Area Burst, Increased Range, Limited Degree comes out to the same points-per-rank as Create so that works out nicely.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that players should be responsible for figuring out how their Power Stunt will work, but some people just aren't up to doing that on the fly. Affliction is a godsend for off-the-cuff because it's so broad.

Ah, didn't even think of Move Object!

Each of those actions would have been Extra Effort, correct? Even though she was basically wanting to use Create?

OPA Belta

Ah, I had assumed that "power tricks" meant "power stunts". The things I described would be how I'd have Power Stunts work, which would indeed be Extra Effort.
    If they'd be normal uses of create would be up to you depending on how powerful you want to make Create. If you let Create do forced movement and impromptu Afflictions as part of normal usage, you're adding a lot of value to an already fairly strong power but you're also rewarding creativity.

I did word the topic a bit poorly.
    I am now thinking that at times I'll have to require a stunt, and at other times I may let them get by with the equivalent of a free stunt (or even basically creating a Challenge for the opponents.)
    It's a tough call. If you Create a carpet of spikes in a hallway, is it an obstacle or an Affliction power stunt?

OPA Belta

I'd have no issue with a character wanting to create difficult terrain via Create, but if they wanted the spikes to deal Damage I'd demand a Power Stunt to get that.