Thread: Using Icons for campaign

Question Using Icons for campaign

Hello

I have Icons Assembled Edition since 2015 but I have only GM it twice in one-shots.

Recently I have noticed that I am not as keen as I was when I was younger to play crunchier games so I have been been looking for a superhero rpg with lighter rules and after a few discussions on rpg.net, people there told me that Icons AE (and even the previous Icons told me Soylent Green) could be used for campaign. I was considering using Bash Ultimate Edition because I was impressed after reading it but I am not sure I want to run a game with multiplications and dice multiplier and a lot of Hit Points even if the game is good, Icons is simpler, 1D6+X - 1D6+Y = result is simple enough for me plus there is a ton of good reviews of the game on internet so I really consider Icons this time .

I am not in a hurry, I am still running Tomb of Annihilation (D&D5) and a super campaign would be probably in several months at best.

I own also the PDF copy of Great Powers (I am not sure of using it), Origins (I will probably use the by the number creation option), A to Z (I will probably use it too), Stark City and The Great Game.

I have a few questions even if I am more knowledgeable now about the game than I was before :

- I don't think I will make a dark & gritty campaign but in the case I would, how do you change the rules to make Gritty with Icons who is by default more silver age-ish ?
    - how do you make a normal people/paranormal powers/paragons-style campaign with Icons ?
    - one of my player is convinced that Icons is a good game but for one-shots and pick-up game only, he told me than the game lacks details, depth and nuance so it could be that players do not feel as rich and complete as a more meaty game like Bash or M&M, How do I convince him ?
    - has any GM here has already runned the M&M Classics : time of crisis, time of vengeance with Icons and how it was ?

I am looking for others questions but if you are a campaign Icons's GM please, feel free to share your experience here. I am an experienced GM but not with Icons so any feedback is good to know .

Regards,

Merlyn.
    God forgive...not me

Re: Using Icons for campaign

So nobody uses Icons for campaign here ?
    God forgive...not me

Still no answer ?
    God forgive...not me

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post

I have a few questions even if I am more knowledgeable now about the game than I was before :

- I don't think I will make a dark & gritty campaign but in the case I would, how do you change the rules to make Gritty with Icons who is by default more silver age-ish ?
    - how do you make a normal people/paranormal powers/paragons-style campaign with Icons ?
    - one of my player is convinced that Icons is a good game but for one-shots and pick-up game only, he told me than the game lacks details, depth and nuance so it could be that players do not feel as rich and complete as a more meaty game like Bash or M&M, How do I convince him ?
    - has any GM here has already runned the M&M Classics : time of crisis, time of vengeance with Icons and how it was ?

Merlyn.
    Hi, Merlyn! Sorry that no one responded to your query sooner. My Icons RPG campaigns go through periods of pick-up and slow-down and recently have picked up again, so I've been writing up various scenarios that are similar to the questions you asked and can hopefully field your questions.

Here goes:
    1) How do you change the rules to make Gritty with Icons who is by default more silver age-ish?

I don't think any of the rules need to be changed. You simply change the cast of characters and type of adventure. The animated film, JLA Dark may give you some ideas. Even though it features the Justice League, they get possessed by a demonic force and Batman and his magic wielding associates like Zatanna have to subdue them before ultimately defeating the demonic forces behind everything. The initial start is also dark where regular people were hallucinating that others were demons and ran amok by shooting others or trying to run them over with cars before being stopped by the Justice League.

2) How do you make a normal people/paranormal powers/paragons-style campaign with Icons?

For a normal people styled campaign, generally, normal people have characteristics between 1 to 4, where the average person is a 2 or 3 for Prowess, Coordination, etc. Weapons/Powers would have a rating of a 4 or 5 at most. Naturally, the lead heroes/heroines would have a characteristic or two at 5 like Prowess or Intelligence. For paranormal powers, you simply adapt the "Magic" power as you see fit for summoning or banishing monsters, creating magic blasts or force fields, etc. For a paragons styled campaign, you pretty much follow the guidelines provided in the book where the high-powered hero has characteristics and powers between 7 to 10.

3) One of my players is convinced that Icons is a good game but for one-shots and pick-up game only, he told me than the game lacks details, depth and nuance so it could be that players do not feel as rich and complete as a more meaty game like Bash or M&M, How do I convince him?

This is really up to you, the GM, to provide those details, depth, and nuance. You convince that player by creating fun, action-packed scenarios and adding house rules as needed to support your campaign. I've ran Icons at multiple game conventions and adding my own house rules definitely improved the overall quality of the game in terms of player satisfaction such as having players roll two dice instead of one and taking the highest, using the Ability Boost power to temporarily have a statistic or power exceed 10 (e.g. Superman pushing his strength, Iron Man having Jarvis redirect all power to his unibeam).

As a point of conference, Hero Games' Champions can be a rules-intensive system that bogs players down with all sort of complex guidelines and nuances, but only if the GM chooses to allow it. A GM can simplify things like combat to keep the flow going at a better pace.

4) has any GM here has already runned the M&M Classics : time of crisis, time of vengeance with Icons and how it was?

No, I haven't ran any Mutants & Masterminds campaigns so I can't provide any comparison.

Anyway, those are some thoughts for your consideration. Hope that they prove helpful as you develop and run your campaign.
    Last edited by fdw3773; 07-06-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Fixed grammatical errors