Thread: Blue Rose lore question: vata

UN Basic Recipient

Blue Rose lore question: vata

In the Blue Rose guide, it says vata (long ago) were the offspring of vatazin and human parents. On page 40, it says: "Unsuspecting humans sometimes have a vata child."

Does this imply that the vata aren't precisely a separate race, but a human mutation (probably a bad word, but you get what I'm saying)? Could two vata parents produce a human child? Is it more common for vata to have vata parents, or human parents?

Thanks!

Protomolecule Host

Re: Blue Rose lore question: vata

Quote Originally Posted by GothicCastles View Post
    In the Blue Rose guide, it says vata (long ago) were the offspring of vatazin and human parents. On page 40, it says: "Unsuspecting humans sometimes have a vata child."

Does this imply that the vata aren't precisely a separate race, but a human mutation (probably a bad word, but you get what I'm saying)? Could two vata parents produce a human child? Is it more common for vata to have vata parents, or human parents?

Thanks!
    When it says that "unsuspecting humans sometimes have a vata child," 'vata' should be understood here as shorthand for 'Vata'an/sha.' Humans may have vata ancestry that is recessive and that occasionally pops up in their progeny. With the True Vata virtually extinct, many vata-blooded humans are simply referred to as Vata.

UN Basic Recipient

I guess what I'm asking is if vata (by which I mean vata'an/sha) are really a "race" like elves or dwarves in other fantasy settings, or rather more of an occasional human deviation, born of humans with vata blood somewhere in the line? The line in the book I quoted makes it seem like the latter, but I'm not sure I'm reading it correctly.

To give further detail, I'm creating a BR game, and I'm unsure if my vata ('an/sha) NPCs should have human families or vata families--both their parents and their children. I'd also like to be able to help my players craft backstories if they choose to play vata.

UN Basic Recipient

My understanding in modern Aldis is that Vata are all culturally human. Or really, culturally Aldin. But I've treated the Aldin Night Folk the same. My Sea Folk, not as much, for the most part. Some, sure, but many live in their own communities and have their own customs.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by GothicCastles View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is if vata (by which I mean vata'an/sha) are really a "race" like elves or dwarves in other fantasy settings, or rather more of an occasional human deviation, born of humans with vata blood somewhere in the line? The line in the book I quoted makes it seem like the latter, but I'm not sure I'm reading it correctly.

To give further detail, I'm creating a BR game, and I'm unsure if my vata ('an/sha) NPCs should have human families or vata families--both their parents and their children. I'd also like to be able to help my players craft backstories if they choose to play vata.
    Both. Vata are born to vata parents, but they will also be occasionally born from human parents.

UN Basic Recipient

Super. Thank you so much, everyone, for the clarification!