Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No-magic settings: What would you do? (Ideas for a "Scholar" class)

UN Basic Recipient

Re: No-magic settings: What would you do? (Ideas for a "Scholar" class)

Cunning sort of runs counter to a lot of Fantasy Age abilities in that it has a set number of uses per day. Other than health and magic points, Fantasy Age doesn't have that kind of resource management--but I think it makes sense for a scholar.

At first glance, it looks good!

This AGE of Ice and Fire sounds amazing!
    We call it Song of Dice and Fire

With respect to the class name, how about “Thinker”? Seems applicable to more role types?

Quote Originally Posted by gabeprime View Post
    With respect to the class name, how about “Thinker”? Seems applicable to more role types?
    A little too mechanic-ish? Other names I considered were: Jack as in "jack of all trades" but seemed too general and not as learned, Monte/Mountebank but implies its a swindler and not educated (again), and Expert which is just way too generic.

The one thing I do like about Sage is what it implies: the "sage" is the replacement for the "mage."

With Game of Thrones in mind, I feel like there should be a name out their to encompass characters who use knowledge, intelligence, and guile from the bookish sorts like Tyrion and Sam, to the manipulators like Margery and Tywin, to schemers like Varys and Petyr.
    Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Actually, going along with Tinker, Dilettante might be it. It also give me an idea for a new level 1 feature...

Multi-Talented: You ignore class requirements when selecting new talents.

This avoids the tediousness of having to distinguish which talents the class can take and reinforces it as the skills monkey. Sam might not be a great fighter, but he probably picked up novice in Armor Training while getting beat on by his brothers in the Nights Watch.
    Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Otog View Post
    Actually, going along with Tinker, Dilettante might be it. It also give me an idea for a new level 1 feature...

Multi-Talented: You ignore class requirements when selecting new talents.

This avoids the tediousness of having to distinguish which talents the class can take and reinforces it as the skills monkey. Sam might not be a great fighter, but he probably picked up novice in Armor Training while getting beat on by his brothers in the Nights Watch.
    I would disagree about Sam making that choice (based on the TV show - I know the books are different) BUT I think the feature is pretty great. About the name, "dilettante" doesn't really sound good to me, but I'm not a native speaker. I would name it 'scholar' in my games.

Yeah, I am not thrilled with he name either after sitting with it a bit. Will keep workshopping it.

As for specializations, I have three in mind that include: Scholar, Spy Master, and Tactician.

Quote Originally Posted by Otog View Post
    Yeah, I am not thrilled with he name either after sitting with it a bit. Will keep workshopping it.

As for specializations, I have three in mind that include: Scholar, Spy Master, and Tactician.
    I like your ideas. But I would keep the class called Scholar and the spec "Lore Master".

So, I'm going to playtest a "Scholar" class based off the Mage class in FAGE, but with a mix of additional talents, focuses, and stunt bonuses instead of arcana; the class can take all talents Mages could take before and all the talents listed on "Starting Talents" below, except arcana talents, of course; I'll keep these class features for now:

LEVEL 1
    Starting Talents: You become a Novice in two of the following talents: Alchemy, Carousing, Chirurgy, Contacts, Horsemanship, Intrigue, Linguistics, Music, Observation, Oratory, or Quick Reflexes. You also start as a Novice in Lore.
    Cunning: Whether by superior tactics, clever scheming, or quick wits, you can subtly manipulate the course of events, Once per round during an ability test, you may roll your own d6, and use your result to replace any single d6 used in the test. The ally or opponent whose roll you replace must be able to see and hear you. You may roll your own d6 at any time, but you must decide to use Cunning before the success or failure of the test is determined. You can use Cunning a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence ability (minimum one). You must be conscious and be able to use free actions on your turn to use this ability, but this does not require you to use an action.

LEVELS 2, 10, 18, 20
    Talent: You become a Novice in a new talent or gain a degree in a talent you already have.

LEVELS 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 15, 17, 19
    Bonus Talent: You become a Novice in a new talent or gain a degree in a talent you already have. (Maybe you could select two additional focuses instead of a talent at these levels?) (Maybe limited to the talent list described in the starting talents?)

LEVELS 4, 6, 8, 12, 14, 16
    New Specialization Talent

LEVEL 6
    Stunt Bonus: You can perform the Aid Ally stunt for 1 SP instead of 3. (Or something different, and this could be moved to the "Tactician" specialization.)

LEVEL 8
    Multi-Talented: Starting at level 8, you ignore class requirements when selecting new talents. (Name could be changed to "extra curricular activities"... xD just kidding.)

LEVEL 10
    TBD. A exclusive class feature improving something already existing.

LEVEL 13
    TBD. A new stunt bonus.
    The idea is simply to keep the benefits on the same levels a Mage would gain something similar.

Restricting Bonus Talents to those you can choose at level 1 could work. I know that this is the class's niche, but being able to reach Master at level 3 whereas rogues and warriors need to wait until level 5 (maybe) or level 7 (more likely) could potentially be overpowered. I think by limiting it in this way, you will dissuade players away from doubling down on talents with a lot of utility, like Alchemy and Chirurgy, and encourage branching out.

That said, nothing is like actual play and I look forward to seeing how this turns out. This has inspired me to do some GoT stuff with this and am working on poisons.
    Last edited by Otog; 05-20-2018 at 09:03 AM.