Thread: Making Dr. Strange's Cloak a reality (M&M 3E)

UN Basic Recipient

Question Making Dr. Strange's Cloak a reality (M&M 3E)

Hello!

I am super new to M&M 3E. My husband is running a My Hero Academia inspired campaign where we are teenagers who are just coming into our powers. I am working on a Dr Strange inspired character and I want my cloak to have the personality and qualities his very own cloak has. Such as flight, protection, acting on its own/with commands. The campaign itself is PL 2, however any examples *no matter the cost* would be very helpful, as I tend to level this thing up when I am able.

Thank you!!

OPA Belta

Re: Making Dr. Strange's Cloak a reality (M&M 3E)

Sounds like a set of "Cloak Powers" with Summon as an Alternate Effect.
    Something like:

Really Awesome Cloak: (4 pp per mode, 5 pp total)
    Cloak Magic
    Protection 2
    Flight 1
    Alternate Effect: Living Cloak
    Summon 2

This means you'd get the benefits of the magic cloak while wearing it, and lose those powers when you told it to do things on its own.
    This uses Flight and Protection to provide flight and protection, and the Alternate Effect extra (http://www.d20herosrd.com/6-powers/modifiers/) to replace them with the Summon power so you can have your cloak become an independent creature (http://www.d20herosrd.com/6-powers/e...ummon-control/) at the cost of losing the flight and protection. You'd have to build the Cloak as a character, it'd be Power Level 2 like you and have 30 Power Points to spend. Unlike you though it'd be a Minion, meaning it would be much easier to defeat in combat.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Unlike you though it'd be a Minion, meaning it would be much easier to defeat in combat.
    I would buy it as a Sidekick if you're going for the movie version.
    DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
    Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.

Good advice all around, but there may be a few numbers problems. I don't know how you're running your game, but PL2 is pretty low, and if you're sticking to 15p/lvl (which you certainly don't have to), you're not going to have a lot to work with point-wise. There's also just the limited power range; I realize you're working with absolute beginner teen PCs, but personally I wouldn't start below PL4 if you want them to be on par or better than an ordinary police officer (at least combat-wise). But it's your game: maybe normals aren't as strong, maybe you intend to ramp up fast, maybe you want more tension and teamwork to overcome obstacles, etc.

To address the Cloak specifically, it's tempting to make it a Minion or Sidekick, but it does get a little complicated and/or expensive. Since it's presumably sentient but non-organic it should be built with Immunity to Fortitude (30p) and Absent Stamina (-10p) for 20p total, and that's before giving it any other powers. On a PL2 minion, that's 20 of 30p, and a Sidekick would need to be at least PL4 just to get the FortImmune package. I suppose you could try lowering or absenting other Cloak abilities, but it seems like it should have at least something for all of the others, even PRE, since it is sentient with a personality. In any case, it may be a tight fit for a PL2 game.

Possible alternatives to Summon is to make it a different Effect(s) with the Descriptor "Self-propelled Cloak". Something like Move Object 1 costs 2p and can be used to Grab, Disarm or Trip any target. You could add the Damaging Extra for 1p more (at rank 1 anyway) and throw in the Chokehold Advantage for another point to get that memorable Cloak vs goon fight. You could also use Affliction to do Snare-like Grabs or Prone Trips or Blinding in a small array or possibly even Affliction (Variable Conditions) from the Power Profiles, although it might be better to save those as Power stunts.

One of the most useful things about the Cloak, though (and a major reason to make it a Summon), is its ability to do things while Strange is unable to act, making it like a partner or guard dog. However, this too can be done as another Effect. I'd make it a Reaction Move Object with the Uncontrolled Flaw that triggers when Strange is attacked; the Reaction allows it to work without Strange's actions, while Uncontrolled means it's under the GM's control, not the player's. That power would have to stand alone outside any Arrays, though, since it should be available all the time. Costwise, it would be comparable to a Summon, but doesn't require all the details a summon demands (ie commands, Dazed condition, Standard Action to activate, etc) although it could still be Countered by appropriate Descriptors.

As a beginner teen hero, it may be appropriate for the Cloak to actually be wiser than the PC, or at least disagree with them regularly, which makes for a great Complication and a good way to generate Hero Points that can be used to buy off Power Stunt Fatigue. This is IMO the funnest and cheapest way to make the Cloak feel like a separate character without actually having to stat them out.

Hope that helps!
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    Really Awesome Cloak: (4 pp per mode, 5 pp total)
    Cloak Magic
    Protection 2
    Flight 1
    Alternate Effect: Living Cloak
    Summon 2
    Instead of Protection, I'd tend to put something extra into wearing the cloak. Impervious defenses or some Immunities, maybe. That way switching it to Summon doesn't drop you below caps.
    Of course, having an extra character is really powerful, so if you want the cloak to be strong letting yourself be a bit weaker when it's on the field is fair. That's a tradeoff a lot of summoner-types go for.

You could maybe do Enhanced Sidekick, but there's also the Heroic extra to make it not be a minion.

OPA Belta

Sketchpad, SuperZero: The numbers problems JDRook mentions, namely an expectation of extremely low PP limits, are why I was so conservative with my example. Even the bare-bones version I posed would cost a third of the "fun stuff" budget for a PL 2 30 PP character. Promoting the cloak to Sidekick or Heroic would add 2 or 4 points to the cost which I don't think the character can easily afford. I could easily be wrong, we have no clue how many PP Queengodiva is working with.

Impervious is a very good suggestion if the character is TOU shifted though. At PL 2, Impervious 3 is very strong.

OPA Belta

Cloak of Levitation - PL 5

Strength 5, Stamina -, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 3, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Advantages
    Fast Grab

Skills
    Close Combat: Grab 2 (+5)

Powers
    Artifact: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects)
    Levitation: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
    Protective Cloak: Protection 3 (+3 Toughness)

Offense
    Initiative +3
    Grab, +5 (DC Spec 15)
    Throw, +3 (DC 20)
    Unarmed, +3 (DC 20)

Languages
    Native Language

Defense
    Dodge 5, Parry 5, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 3, Will 0

Power Points
    Abilities 18 + Powers 41 + Advantages 1 + Skills 1 (2 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 65/5 = 13 pts for Sidekick (or 5 pts for Minion)
    DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
    Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.

OPA Belta

Stealing that and cutting it down to PL 2 while emphasizing JDRook's idea of the cape being the mentor figure.
    Note that I've gone back to normal Stamina with no immunities: There's just not enough points to buy even Life Support. This means the magic cape "becomes alive" or "is alive" in the traditional "breathes and eats" sense.

Cloak of Levitation - PL 2

Strength 2, Stamina 1, Agility 1, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 3, Presence 0

Advantages
    Fast Grab
    Improved Hold

Skills
    Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+2)
    Expertise: Magic 8 (+8)
    Insight 2 (+5)

Powers
    Levitation: Flight 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
    Durable Fabric: Protection 1 (+1 Toughness)

Offense
    Initiative +1
    Throw, +0 (DC 17)
    Unarmed, +2 (DC 17)

Languages
    Native Language

Defense
    Dodge 2, Parry 2, Fortitude 1, Toughness 2, Will 3

Power Points
    Abilities 14 + Powers 5 + Advantages 2 + Skills 6 (12 ranks) + Defenses 3 = 30/5 = 6 ranks of Sidekick, 2 ranks of Minion, or 2 ranks of Summon