Thread: A Question about Strength ...and Statues

Inceptor

A Question about Strength ...and Statues

Ultimately, this rambling, meandering story boils down to a rules question.

Okay, here was the circumstance in the session, more or less as it went down.

Setting: A PL8 campaign, set in a depressed former industrial port city.
    Scene: In a park, near a bronze statue.
    Opposition: Several gunmen, hired mercenaries contracted to deal with the problem, namely the PCs.

Given a mass combat scene with multiple attackers, the group's (flying-speed-)brick sought to use her 8 Strength to pick up the statue and use it as a thugplow, for an Area Attack.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would constitute a "Power Stunt," and incur a Fatigued condition per the Extra Effort rules on p. 20, yes?

(And oh, by the way, this is my first post on these forums, and I wasn't quite sure what terms to feed into Advanced Search beside "area strength" to get a reasonably perusable set of results.)
    Ask me about your grandchildren!

Re: A Question about Strength ...and Statues

Yes. Although some GMs will give a Hero Point either for a cool maneuver (although your prayers should understand that doesn't mean they can spam that tactic) of for the Complication when the city isn't happy about what they feel is wanton destruction.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    Yes. Although some GMs will give a Hero Point either for a cool maneuver (although your prayers should understand that doesn't mean they can spam that tactic) of for the Complication when the city isn't happy about what they feel is wanton destruction.
    Grumble. That's unfortunately what I expected. Thanks.

My personal rule of thumb is that an improvised weapon may, if appropriate, carry an additional 1-2 power points of effect to one's strength (say, adding extended reach to strength-damage) and tends to insulate one a bit from the target (hitting the fire guy with a telephone pole probably won't burn you, although it will burn the pole. Whacking Electro with a metal parking meter won't provide the same benefits). And items with a legitimate effect can be used at that rank. So picking up a gun and shooting it at its effect rank is fine. Picking up a piece of rope and tying someone up is fine, but will be fairly low-rank, so it won't be that difficult to escape.

Or, as a GM, you can choose to make things more broad. The chief danger is that your players will start picking things up left and right and using them to hit people because they know it gets them free bonuses. To me, that's when they start running into trouble from the government, media, and the people they're affecting. Grrl Power had a good bit about that in one of their comics, commenting that the sedan you just used to brain the villain might belong to a single-mother who needs it to get to her waitressing job.
    Last edited by FuzzyBoots; 04-30-2018 at 07:31 AM.

Keeper of Secrets

What you're basically doing is saying "I have 16 points worth of Strength and a big object. I want Area Damage 8 I assume, which costs 16 points". That's basically the definition of an Alternate Effect gained through a Power Stunt.

Many GMs do have systems to reward using the environment though. There's the classic "have a Hero Point, maybe you should use it to buy off that Fatigue wink wink nudge nudge", which works quite well unless people start hording the HPs.
    Personally I've experimented with "One free power stunt per scene, but you have to justify it via one of your normal powers in conjunction with the environment" and found that it worked terribly because my players at the time never read the Extra Effort rules and thus had no clue they could Power Stunt.

Inceptor

I've run enough Champions to be wary of anyone trying to squeeze extra effects out of point-based systems. So the rule makes sense to me.

The guy running the game wasn't quite as sure (despite also playing in said Champions game), but found the rule and interpreted it as indicated above, so he did it right.

The player wasn't happy with the ruling (despite also playing in said Champions game too), and basically [censored]-canned the campaign, and all the work the other guy put into it. Because of that rule.

I need a better gaming group.