Thread: Memory Steal Power

Inceptor

Memory Steal Power

How would you build it? I'm thinking an affliction limited to third degree, with Transformed and Unaware effects, then tacking on an expensive Custom that makes it a permanent transformation

Re: Memory Steal Power

You can bump the Affliction to Continuous.

But if person with the memory stealing power wants the "memories," there needs to be a variable as well to represent the skills.

Keeper of Secrets

I'd just build it as Affliction (X resists/overcomes: Y, Z, Transformed (Memories lost)) with an optional Linked Mind Reading and/or associated Variable if the user gains the stolen memories.
    The rules for recovery already outright don't work in many cases if played exactly as written (Hexenhammer's possession having an approximate 20 minute maximum duration, for example, or needing to punch a defeated foe every minute to keep them down), no need to further complicate things.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonborn82 View Post
    How would you build it? I'm thinking an affliction limited to third degree, with Transformed and Unaware effects, then tacking on an expensive Custom that makes it a permanent transformation
    I would add Insidious (perhaps that is what you meant by "unaware"), and you would have to increase the duration to Continuous to be made "permanent". I don't know if that would prevent saving throws though.

Keeper of Secrets

> I would add Insidious (perhaps that is what you meant by "unaware")
    Unaware is a third degree Affliction result.

> Continuous
    They'd still get a recovery save every minute, and unless you had an absolutely ludicrous DC advantage over their relevant defense they'd save at least every twenty minutes on average.
    If you're going for "memory erased" and not "memory sporadic", that won't work.

Inceptor

If you stagger someone (with damage) while they're already staggered, it's like they're taken out. Perhaps a house rule would allow for that. Certainly I can't see how changing an NPC's memories would cause worse balance problems than just killing them.

But at the moment, M&M doesn't seem to have rules for permanently afflicting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    If you stagger someone (with damage) while they're already staggered, it's like they're taken out. Perhaps a house rule would allow for that. Certainly I can't see how changing an NPC's memories would cause worse balance problems than just killing them.

But at the moment, M&M doesn't seem to have rules for permanently afflicting someone.
    Sure it does; it's called GM fiat. Or, "poof, you're a frog with superfrog strength thanks to your belt, have a hero point for the inconvenience, now what do you do?"
    Check out my new super hero/science fiction novel, Unbelievable: A Tale of the Exotica Chronicles.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    I would add Insidious (perhaps that is what you meant by "unaware"), and you would have to increase the duration to Continuous to be made "permanent". I don't know if that would prevent saving throws though.
    By unaware, I meant that I wouldn't want the subject to even be aware that something was missing.

Keeper of Secrets

> Sure it does; it's called GM fiat.
    Nothing on the PC side though. Which is a shame, because memory-wiping is a fun tool.

> By unaware, I meant that I wouldn't want the subject to even be aware that something was missing.
    Definitely Insidious then.