Thread: Custom Advantages

Keeper of Secrets Squirrelly-sama's Avatar

Custom Advantages

I wanted to see what everyone's custom advantages are. I've seen a few in the Roll Call thread, like with J-Mart and Jab's Builds, though I don't think that's all of them. So I made a thread to share and discuss the various advantages that everyone has added to their games.

I've made a few myself I'd like to offer, some are based on other advantages I've seen or Mecha and Manga.
    Combat:
    Attack Charge - Use your move action and a standard action to "Hold" an attack and increase it's power. At the start of the next turn your gain +2 to it's effects rank. Failing a Resistance check or being distracted before launching the attack cancels the charge. At 2 ranks you can increase the effect rank up to +5 but will suffer half the ranks of the effect should the attack fail. As a Circumstance Bonus this is not limited by PL limits.
    Dual Wielding - Able to add together the Damage ranks of two weapons or link together the effects of both. Limited by PL.
    Trained Reflex -You can specify one particular action (Punch, cast a spell, Attempt to Intimidate, Teleport, Guard) that will immediately activate on combat starting or another triggering event occurs (such as being grabbed, shot at, taunted), even when surprise attacked. This only occurs once per scene, multiple ranks can be taken for various actions but only on can be active at once.
    Improved Feint - Suffer no penalty for using Feint as a Move action.

General:
    Child Sized - Reduce size and mass by 1 rank.
    Demonic Glare - Makes Intimidation checks subtle so long as you lock eyes with the target. 2 ranks to not require eye contact.
    Ninja Run - Not vulnerable while navigating difficult terrain.

Skill:
    Quick Hands - Sleight of Hand uses Fighting bonus instead of Dexterity.
    Cat Climb - Use Slight of Hand to for climbing and jumping.
    Online Research - Use Technology or Expertise (Computers) in place of knowledge checks for Expertise or to Gather Information instead of using Investigation. It requires a computer and sufficient time to gather the information.
    Chastisement - Use Persuasion to demoralize opponents.

Fortune:
    Tactical Maneuver - Spend a Hero Point to allow an ally to move after your turn is finished. Alleys who've already moved require extra effort to move again.
    Fake Expert - Use a Hero Point to substitute Deception for any other skill check. The effects are temporary, lastly only a number of turns equal to Presence unless applied again. Successful checks in the skill used, Deception, or Insight can see through the charade.

Re: Custom Advantages

Improved Charge: You suffer no penalty to the attack check when doing a Charge maneuver. Further, when doing a Slam Attack you get a +5 circ bonus to toughness rolls vs your own slam damage.

Lucky Dodge (Fortune) - As a Reaction, you can spend a Luck Point to force an attacker to reroll their attack roll. Rolls of 11 or higher are reduced by 10.

This is a rules patch proposed to make a defensive shift more plausible by allowing you to influence whether something hits you rather than whether you save against damage.

Keeper of Secrets luketheduke86's Avatar

Warriors and Warlocks had some decent ones I like to use too.

Cunning Fighter - Feint using a combat skills. Opposed by (suitable) combat skill or Insight.
    Grappling Block - When you block a melee attack you can initiate a Grab check without making an attack roll.
    Lionheart - +4 bonus versus fear/intimidation check (prefer this to an outright immunity like Fearless gives you).

There's a few more, but I'm away from my book at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    Lucky Dodge (Fortune) - As a Reaction, you can spend a Luck Point to force an attacker to reroll their attack roll. Rolls of 11 or higher are reduced by 10.

This is a rules patch proposed to make a defensive shift more plausible by allowing you to influence whether something hits you rather than whether you save against damage.
    I like it. Seems particularly appropriate for those extra agile characters like Spider-man or Nightwing.