Thread: Make a Power that Relies on Taking Damage

UN Basic Recipient

Make a Power that Relies on Taking Damage

So, I'm trying to wrap my head around building a power that gets stronger as the hero takes more damage. Instead of building the character so she has to take damage to dish out appropreate damage for the power level (that wouldn't be a whole lot of fun to play), the hero gets ranks of something like Massive Knockback (from Power Profiles page 177) and Impervious Toughness every time she either gets hit or takes damage (but only one of the two). This is supposed to represent her hitting harder by sending opponents flying rather than actually dealing more damage, since dealing extra damage won't work if her damage and attack stats are already built appropriately for the series power level.

The only thing is, I have no idea how to build the power so she only gets the ranks of Impervious Toguhness after taking damage. Would it just be linked to Triggered Massive Knockback? How can I make it so you only get one rank at a time per trigger? Any help is appriciated :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention the Impervious part and the actual questions, which was the entire point of this post lol
    Last edited by confusedPaladin; 04-24-2018 at 08:04 PM.

OPA Belta

Re: Make a Power that Relies on Taking Damage

The Deluxe Hero's Handbook has the Energy Absorption premade power on page 159 which does this, but it's pretty horrible.
    They have it work by applying Fades and Reaction for no net change in cost despite decreasing the utility. Which is stupid, a flaw should save you points.

I'd personally just build the power normally, then apply the Fades flaw but declare it to work "backwards". Cut Reaction out entirely.
    Every time the hero takes Damage, they gain 1 rank in the power (up to the normal max) and every so often (between scenes) the power resets to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by confusedPaladin View Post
    The only thing is, I have no idea how to build the power so she only gets the ranks of Impervious Toguhness after taking damage. Would it just be linked to Triggered Massive Knockback? How can I make it so you only get one rank at a time per trigger? Any help is appriciated
    That would be Impervious Toughness X (Limited to number of times damage has been taken, -1pp/rank), where X is the maximum ranks she can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    I'd personally just build the power normally, then apply the Fades flaw but declare it to work "backwards". Cut Reaction out entirely.
    Every time the hero takes Damage, they gain 1 rank in the power (up to the normal max) and every so often (between scenes) the power resets to zero.
    This strikes me as the best idea for simulating this peculiar power.
    Cutting out Reaction merely means that the effect doesn't activate immediately, but at the beginning of your turn (free action).

UN Basic Recipient

Thanks for all the suggestions! This definitely seems like I couldn't see the forest through the trees, considering how simple these solutions are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    This strikes me as the best idea for simulating this peculiar power.
    Cutting out Reaction merely means that the effect doesn't activate immediately, but at the beginning of your turn (free action).
    I'm not so sure. I mean you technically always have all the ranks active you just don't count them until a certain condition is met. I mean you don't ignore Protection limited to Fire the first time you get hit with fire after all. If it worked like that Nunya's limit should be worth a 2 point flaw in my opinion. Ysariel probably has the best version of the flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly-sama View Post
    I'm not so sure. I mean you technically always have all the ranks active you just don't count them until a certain condition is met. I mean you don't ignore Protection limited to Fire the first time you get hit with fire after all. If it worked like that Nunya's limit should be worth a 2 point flaw in my opinion. Ysariel probably has the best version of the flaw.
    Umm, do you realize that Nunya's "Backwards-Fades" and Ysariel's "Limited to number of times damage has been taken" are mechanically the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Umm, do you realize that Nunya's "Backwards-Fades" and Ysariel's "Limited to number of times damage has been taken" are mechanically the same?
    Backwards Fade would increase by one every turn once activated. Limited to the number of times damaged could increase multiple times in a round if the person is targeted and hit multiple times. They are mechanically very different.