Thread: Fighting, Parry, Close Combat: Flavor perspectives wanted

Keeper of Secrets

Fighting, Parry, Close Combat: Flavor perspectives wanted

Buying a rank of the Close Attack advantage and a rank of Parry has the same game effects as buying a rank of Fighting. Even though the effects are the same, I believe that the ways people perceive them differs.
    So, I'm asking for opinions. When would you use each of the following, and what do you feel they say about the character?

A: All bought through Fighting, no points directly invested in Close Attack or Parry, eg Fighting 10, Close Attack 0, Parry 0
    B: Some bought through Fighting, some points directly invested in Close Attack or Parry, eg Fighting 5, Close Attack 5, Parry 5
    C: None bought through Fighting, all points directly invested in Close Attack or Parry, eg Fighting 0, Close Attack 10, Parry 10
    Last edited by Nunya B; 04-24-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Fighting, Parry, Close Combat: Flavor perspectives wanted

These things are completely meaningless, the descriptor is whatever you make it. Personally I choose to make fighting as high as possible just because it seems simpler to me. On one character, high values in any of these three stats might mean martial arts training, on another it might mean super-speed allowing her to dodge and attack more effectively.

I agree with Madwand. Just setting Fighting as high as possible means you don't have to fiddle with the three as much. You only need to put points into one or two instead of all of them.

There is technically a slight mechanical difference, though--a higher ability score makes a character more difficult to debilitate with Weaken. You have to have your Fighting dropped below -5 for that, though, so even a bystander needs to be hit with a fairly powerful Weaken Fighting for it to matter... I kind of doubt debilitated Fighting comes up often enough even for low-Fighting characters for it to matter.

Keeper of Secrets

You know, I had typed up quite a response to this before realizing you meant Close Attack instead of Close Combat....

But the others are right, mechanically there's no difference (well, almost no difference as SuperZero pointed out,) and any thematic difference is usually one you have to clarify yourself via buying Enhanced Traits (and then adding descriptors and/or Extras/Flaws as appropriate.)

Beyond that, it just seems like a stylistic choice in character design. I might personally be tempted, in a comparison between a character with Fighting 10 and one with the same offense/defense but via ranks of Close Attack and Parry, to give a slight edge to the character with higher straight-up Fighting Ability. (Say, if one of the team was being chosen by a celestial entity to represent the team in a tournament fight as the "best fighter.") But that's just pure personal preference based on the name of the Ability and the fact that having the stats paired seems subtly stronger. It will likely never actually make a difference in 99.9% of the games I play/run.
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes and The New All-Star Squadron.

Keeper of Secrets

Yes, I meant Close Attack. Thank you, that was a silly mistake. Shows how often I use the advantage, though.